Gen 4: 2011-2015 Front brake solutions? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old 07-23-2012, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Front brake solutions?

I've noticed quite a few complaints about the stock front brake setup on our gen 4's and i'm looking for reasonable/cheap solution. Ive already upgraded to the spiegler lines along with rbf600 fluid change and I cant say I'm very happy. Extremely spongy, or maybe I should rephrase excessive lever travel. Ive already vacuum bled the lines a few times and am quite sure there's no air. My next solution was to possibly upgrade the MC as I wonder if this is the culprit? So my question to you all is what have you done to remedy this issue with good results?

-already have adjustable levers fully extended
-Abs model
Ive got two other bikes (k6 gsxr1k track) with R1 MC along with R1 calipers upgraded lines which work quite well and an (09 R6) with stock setup minus ss lines and fluid which work way better over the Gen 4 and produce much better/firm lever feel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 07-23-2012, 08:25 PM
All show and all go 10r

Posting Frequency

MC is will definitely fix it but your going to need a billet one to go after what your looking for. I know cause I've been there myself. The RCS is still spongy, I have both the RCS and a billet 19x20.

post #3 of 41 Old 07-23-2012, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLG0987 View Post
MC is will definitely fix it but your going to need a billet one to go after what your looking for. I know cause I've been there myself. The RCS is still spongy, I have both the RCS and a billet 19x20.
I was eyeballing the RCS19 which I'm assuming is compatible with the gen4, but when you say it's still spongy, how much more managable than stock? Also excuse my ignorance, but when you say billet, do you mean the $2500.00 solution
This will be street duty till I decide to retire the Gsxr so ill still need the Brake switch capability which i think the RCS provides?
thanks for the reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 Old 07-23-2012, 08:53 PM
All show and all go 10r

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnbrokenConflict View Post
I was eyeballing the RCS19 which I'm assuming is compatible with the gen4, but when you say it's still spongy, how much more managable than stock? Also excuse my ignorance, but when you say billet, do you mean the $2500.00 solution
This will be street duty till I decide to retire the Gsxr so ill still need the Brake switch capability which i think the RCS provides?
thanks for the reply
Really can't say it's been forever. I remember when I went from stock to RCS and ss line at the same time I wasn't impressed. It was better but not where I wanted it. That's my 6R, it basically has 08 zx10r brakes right now which are the same as the gen 4.

That is the highest retail available MC and apparently only comes in a 18x19. The one I'm talking about is around $700. It is absolutely worth it's money. It is double the price but works at least 4x better so it's considerably better value.

MC are only bar specific for us that's 7/8". You will need a new banjo I believe for it. They also have a Mirco switch for the MC which is nice as a pressure switch doesn't work on the street, takes very little pressure to stop even from highway speeds. Just keep the stock MC and swap it if you sell. The 19x20 is awesome.

What are you running for pads?

post #5 of 41 Old 07-23-2012, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLG0987 View Post
Really can't say it's been forever. I remember when I went from stock to RCS and ss line at the same time I wasn't impressed. It was better but not where I wanted it. That's my 6R, it basically has 08 zx10r brakes right now which are the same as the gen 4.

That is the highest retail available MC and apparently only comes in a 18x19. The one I'm talking about is around $700. It is absolutely worth it's money. It is double the price but works at least 4x better so it's considerably better value.

MC are only bar specific for us that's 7/8". You will need a new banjo I believe for it. They also have a Mirco switch for the MC which is nice as a pressure switch doesn't work on the street, takes very little pressure to stop even from highway speeds. Just keep the stock MC and swap it if you sell. The 19x20 is awesome.

What are you running for pads?
7 ponies is definitely more doable than the 2k option. Ill definitely explore the options and decide from there. Do you know/heard of anyone doing an R1 MC swap for the gen4 like i did with my gsxr?
For brake pads on the gen4 i just left stock for now on the street, but the r6 im running ebc extreme pro pads which give excellent bite and the gsxr i just put a set of EBC gpfa on but havent bedded them in yet.
post #6 of 41 Old 07-23-2012, 09:18 PM
All show and all go 10r

Posting Frequency

very few people actually complain about the 08+ brakes. I have never seen any mention here about the R1 MC but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It's still not going to compete with a RCS or especially a Billet.

post #7 of 41 Old 07-23-2012, 09:45 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to barnes
Its not the MC its the calipers... swap out to a set of NISSIN calipers from a ZX14R or a ZX6R pre 2009.

Design by a genius, Built by a craftsman, Ridden by a twat....

ďSee God. Then back offĒ Kevin Schwantz on his late braking technique.
post #8 of 41 Old 07-23-2012, 09:56 PM
All show and all go 10r

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnes View Post
Its not the MC its the calipers... swap out to a set of NISSIN calipers from a ZX14R or a ZX6R pre 2009.
it's a 4 gen he's got and the 08+ tokico are great, for stock calipers.

post #9 of 41 Old 07-23-2012, 10:34 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnbrokenConflict View Post
I've noticed quite a few complaints about the stock front brake setup on our gen 4's and i'm looking for reasonable/cheap solution. Ive already upgraded to the spiegler lines along with rbf600 fluid change and I cant say I'm very happy. Extremely spongy, or maybe I should rephrase excessive lever travel. Ive already vacuum bled the lines a few times and am quite sure there's no air. My next solution was to possibly upgrade the MC as I wonder if this is the culprit? So my question to you all is what have you done to remedy this issue with good results?

-already have adjustable levers fully extended
-Abs model
Ive got two other bikes (k6 gsxr1k track) with R1 MC along with R1 calipers upgraded lines which work quite well and an (09 R6) with stock setup minus ss lines and fluid which work way better over the Gen 4 and produce much better/firm lever feel.
I have a 2011 ZX10( with ABS) and the front calipers are great. I went with a Brembo MC after the stock one was toast after a crash at TWS last summer. I also went with Speigler lines and Veserah pads however the stock set up on my bike was great after just changing out the brake lines... My buddy bought a 2011 and his brakes were mushy from day one! I guess it just depends on the particular bike?

Speedy
post #10 of 41 Old 07-23-2012, 11:38 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I have to wonder if it's the ABS contributing. I'm running a standard MC and calipers with Spiegler lines, Motul RBF660 and Vesrah SRJLs and getting excellent, consistent performance lap after lap from 170+ mph.

WERA Ex / NESBA A 912
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in