Gen 4: 2011-2015 front brake problem - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 05-19-2015, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

front brake problem

Hey guys im working on a friends gen4, his front brakes doing some crazy stuff. If i grab the lever it feels real good, then theres no lever without pumping it 1 or 2 times

1st thing i seen was that he must have mixed brake fluid because it looked like a gel in the reservoir, so i flushed out and changed brake fluid, then i replaced the diaphragm it was jacked up.

2nd thing i rebuilt the master cylinder

3rd thing breed the brakes about 5 times, with a pump and manually

The brakes are not leaking fluid anyplace, I had one of my friends tell me it must be air still in the lines, I think its something else at this point any suggestions, HELP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-19-2015, 09:57 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
If brake fluid was mixed, you might have to do a complete disassembly and cleaning of the calipers. DOT 3, 4, and 5.1 are glycol based fluids and are relatively safe to mix. DOT 5 is pure silicone and incompatible with anything else. If he added DOT 5 in with the regular stuff that came with the bike, who knows what kind of crud is in the calipers.

The bleed technique is to start at the master cylinder and bleed it there first. Then move onto the calipers. The pump works great for roughing it in, but nothing beats a hand bleed to make sure all the air is removed. It's also helpful to strap the brake lever overnight with pressure before a final hand bleed the next day.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #3 of 12 Old 05-19-2015, 12:18 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
It's also helpful to strap the brake lever overnight with pressure before a final hand bleed the next day.
Was just popping in to chime in with this. This does wonders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-19-2015, 12:34 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

After all this you had best rebuild the whole system and replace all seals. If you are truly qualified. This bike needs all the brakes it can get. Don't mess around with the brakes.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-19-2015, 12:35 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX10RArcher View Post
Was just popping in to chime in with this. This does wonders.
Yes it does but you had best find out what the problem with the system is first.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-19-2015, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I started with the master first, I'm going to try that technique, but after talk to another member he think it might be the rotor and it could be because the bike owner did bend the front rim pretty bad.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-19-2015, 03:10 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Well that's valuable information that would change the answer on where to start looking...
White Fang likes this.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-19-2015, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by dricked View Post
Well that's valuable information that would change the answer on where to start looking...
I talked to the bike owner today he told me he was hitting the disk with a rubber hammer, Im pissed he left out that valuable bit of info, I dicked around with this for about 12 hours
post #9 of 12 Old 05-19-2015, 11:14 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by tone.r View Post
I talked to the bike owner today he told me he was hitting the disk with a rubber hammer, Im pissed he left out that valuable bit of info, I dicked around with this for about 12 hours
You are not gonna be able to fix the bike going about it like that. Dang, can't you all find a used rotor or something?
post #10 of 12 Old 05-20-2015, 07:43 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

If all of the above didn't work, try cracking it at the banjo's on the calipers (obviously with pressure on the lever).

I've had issues in the past where air gets caught at the banjo and that seemed to be the only way to solve it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in