Fork stiction/friction - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 01-03-2005, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
MIA Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Question Fork stiction/friction

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ91
The pich your referring to exists in the axel and the axel nut itself. Adding sliders to the outside of the axel and axel nut will not increase or decrease the pinch. They clamp to the outside of the axel/nut. No matter how much you tighten the sliders you will not make the axel and nut to tighten causing the forks to pinch in.
This was grabbed from the fork slider thread. I must be out the loop on the problem and the solution. Anyone care to fill me in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 01-03-2005, 11:30 AM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

What champ91 is referring to are sliders (just like frame sliders)that mount to the outside of each fork leg helping to prevent damage in a crash.

As for stiction it is sometimes possible (depending on the fit) to pinch the bottom end of the tubes together when tightening the axle/axlenut therefore creating more stiction than needed/wanted at the bottom of the stroke. Top Shelf has found this to be true and has commented on it in another thread.

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.

Last edited by Big Daddy; 01-03-2005 at 11:34 AM.
post #3 of 29 Old 01-03-2005, 12:13 PM

Posting Frequency

Do a search for RedRider on the kawiforums and I think he was the thread poster on this. He got a GSXR axle and machined it. The design of the 10r and 636 axle is different. The 636 left side bolt has a lip that pulled in on the forks, while the 10r has the bolt that slides into the fork.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 01-03-2005, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
MIA Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy
What champ91 is referring to are sliders (just like frame sliders)that mount to the outside of each fork leg helping to prevent damage in a crash.

As for stiction it is sometimes possible (depending on the fit) to pinch the bottom end of the tubes together when tightening the axle/axlenut therefore creating more stiction than needed/wanted at the bottom of the stroke. Top Shelf has found this to be true and has commented on it in another thread.

BD
This is all my search yielded:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf
P.S. BD-I have some interesting info to share with you about setup that I have been discovering of late. The suspension guy I have been working with recently has been experimenting with some different things. We also found a MAJOR source of stiction in the front end. PM me and I'll share.
post #5 of 29 Old 01-03-2005, 01:01 PM

Posting Frequency

you are searching the wrong forum...i will find it and be back.
post #6 of 29 Old 01-03-2005, 01:04 PM

Posting Frequency

http://kawiforums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18173

Here it is with pics in the thread
post #7 of 29 Old 01-03-2005, 02:50 PM

Posting Frequency

OK here's the info on my efforts to reduce the stiction. What we found was that even following the service manual to a T, the forks were being pulled together by the lips on both sides of the axle. The GSXR axle as mentioned does not have a lip on both sides and allows one side of the axle to slide in to the fork leg and pinch the wheel. In order to solve the issue, we machined the lip off the receiver end of the axle (that requires the allen tool) and found that we could pinch the wheel better as well as virtually eliminate stiction. The only trick is making sure that the wheel is centered in the forks, but it will definitely work to eliminate the stiction.
post #8 of 29 Old 01-03-2005, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
MIA Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Considering my usage (sport touring/straight line racing/occasional trip to decent curves), will I bennifit from doing this mod? Or is the stiction only evident when pushing hard on the track?
post #9 of 29 Old 01-03-2005, 03:06 PM

Posting Frequency

It will dramatically how well your suspension works no matter where you ride. We found about 30mm difference in stiction at its worst which equates to about a 3rd of the travel in the fork. Not good. Any time you load up the front tire, the suspension cannot work as well as it should. For a test, try unloading the front end and measure how long the sliders are. Then let the front end come to rest on its own GENTLY!! Do not let it bounce down. Measure the length of the sliders. Then press the front end down, compressing the forks, and let them rise under there own power. Measure again. The difference between the two is exclusively stiction. Obviously there will be some stiction just because of the design of any fork. But ideally it should be minimal. As an example, Ohlins Superbike Forks have between 2-5mm of stiction, while a good set of stock forks has 10-15mm. Mine like I said before had between 20-30 depending on how the front wheel was put in and how much torque was put on the axle.
post #10 of 29 Old 01-03-2005, 03:06 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Miykl my gut feeling is its a 'win win' deal no matter how, what or where ya ride.

but then i'm old.

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in