Fork Spring removal? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 05-11-2007, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Fork Spring removal?

Ok, I just got my new fork springs in, but how the heck do I change them? I'm used to dirt bikes where you just take the cap off then use another wrench under the cap to loosen a jam nut. I pulled a fork cap off tonight, but everything looks completely different from what I'm used to. By the way it is an '06 10R

Also, I have a shock spring too. I haven't started on it yet, any tips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-11-2007, 02:05 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to Macke
Changing the front fork springs requires some kind of a special tool.

What you need to do is loosen the fork cap as you did, then you have to compress the spring with a sleeve of some kind until you can slide the plastic collar down far enough to get a open socket wrench (17mm I think) and hold the jamnut while youre loosening the fork cap.

You can either use the special tool that Kawasaki recommends in the service manual, or do it the hard way as we did. We used a ordinary sleeve that fitted onto the spring, but with clearance enough to let the inner part of the fork pass thru freely. Then we compressed the spring using just manpower, and there is an edge just below the jamnut where you can slide a locking washer or something in that locks the sleeve in place.

Good luck

"Macke"
Attached Images

If you can't race fast, atleast you can look fast...

Last edited by Macke; 05-11-2007 at 02:21 AM.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-28-2007, 11:36 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to SalKhan Send a message via Yahoo to SalKhan
DAMN THESE SPECIAL TOOLS!!!!!!!!!

I'm trying to install my new front springs and, well, yeah I need to start buying more tools because I just ain't cuttin it. :D

Sal Khan

http://www.thelunchjournals.com - Updated 3/8/08!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-29-2007, 06:42 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

On a related note... has anyone developed an easier way to change just the spring with the forks in the bike without using Kawasaki's Spring Compression kit? I would just hate to pay $170ish dollars for something I may use once or twice from today until 2075, especially since I need a custom map soon! I got 72 miles on my last tank of gas before my light came on.

Sal Khan

post #5 of 12 Old 06-29-2007, 02:28 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

i tired fabbing my own tool much like the one pictured and the spring has a lot of tension on it by the time you start compressing. i got worried that it would slip off and tear the top cap off. if you find out a way let me know i have the same problem. i think there is a spring wrench that grabs the spring by the coils and you can squeeze the spring that way. i think it is more designed for the rear shock though.

Is this where you wanna be when Jesus comes back?
Flags and handlebars should never touch the ground.
GOD made Police so Firemen would have HEROES

MODS: Homemade 1/5 throttle, -1+2 gearing, R1 Master Cyl, Galfer S/B Brake lines, 954 Handlebars, GSXR stock damper, ZX14 mirrors, gutted/shortened/ceramic coated stock exhaust, Hotbodies D/B, Ramair tube brackets, Speedohealer, flush front signals, Fake Sato rearsets, FZ1 Brembo rear master cylinder, Fender eliminated...
post #6 of 12 Old 06-30-2007, 12:31 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I'm going to try one more trick tomorrow but if it doesn't work, I'll probably just end up getting this:

http://www.racetech.com/shopping/sho...howPage=street

I looked up the cost on the parts needed from Kawasaki and it was about $240 dollars retail. Since I don't see myself using it more than 4 times in the next few decade, I just can't see myself spending that much money on it.

Sal Khan

post #7 of 12 Old 06-30-2007, 04:48 PM
inappropriate

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to hesaves0211
damn i got 12k on the bike i may do mine too

1ST GEN-10R 234hp/[email protected], GT2871RS, cometic gasket, tial bov/ex wastegate, BEGI FMU, WALBRO fuel pump,falicon clutch basket,race pak clutch,200/50 pilot,yana-shiki levers,.net wristband, WEGO III,PC3,GPR damper,cbr cals/Galfer SS brake lines,gp shift,1/5 throttle, 2NDARIES REMOVED <<click for how-to, *R.I.P D.J 10 Apr 04*
post #8 of 12 Old 07-01-2007, 04:41 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

i think someone on here said the racetech fork compressor didnt fit on the 10's forks or didnt work. do a search for spring compressors and see what ya get. i looked everywhere to find the tool or something close to do it my self without spending an arm and a leg. my local shop doesnt even have the tool so i dont know how i will change springs since mine is too heavy for my weight.

Is this where you wanna be when Jesus comes back?
Flags and handlebars should never touch the ground.
GOD made Police so Firemen would have HEROES

MODS: Homemade 1/5 throttle, -1+2 gearing, R1 Master Cyl, Galfer S/B Brake lines, 954 Handlebars, GSXR stock damper, ZX14 mirrors, gutted/shortened/ceramic coated stock exhaust, Hotbodies D/B, Ramair tube brackets, Speedohealer, flush front signals, Fake Sato rearsets, FZ1 Brembo rear master cylinder, Fender eliminated...
post #9 of 12 Old 07-01-2007, 07:36 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedirt199 View Post
i think someone on here said the racetech fork compressor didnt fit on the 10's forks or didnt work. do a search for spring compressors and see what ya get. i looked everywhere to find the tool or something close to do it my self without spending an arm and a leg. my local shop doesnt even have the tool so i dont know how i will change springs since mine is too heavy for my weight.
If you REALLY need it, I can get you the Fork Spring Compressor Tool part numbers for the Kawasaki part if you want to place and order with your local Kawasaki dealer.

Or maybe you want to go Halvsies on one?

Sal Khan

Last edited by SalKhan; 07-01-2007 at 07:38 PM.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-03-2007, 10:49 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Yeah so I finally got the springs in and lets just say that unless you have the Kawasaki special spring compressor assembly, or equivalent, it's easily a 3 person job to install 1.00 kg spring.

My GOD what a colossal pain in the ass. It took myself (6-1, 220) my very accomplished dirtbike mechanic (5-9, 210) and another friend (6-3, 260... Asian no less... AHAH!) all of our might to compress the spring with a traditional push-down type spring compressor, and a small hook,to that the jamnut exposed enough to slip the grooved plate underneath it to tighten everything back up.

My God.

But with new springs and 5wt Maxima Fork Oil, it's MUCH MUCH better. I do need to dial it all in (which I hope I can do with the heavier oil - it was all we had on hand) but I'm already happy with the fact that I'm no longer bottoming out!

Sal Khan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in