Fork rebuild issues, suspension guru's HELP!! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 07-12-2010, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Fork rebuild issues, suspension guru's HELP!!

I recently needed to replace my fork seals and in the meantime aquired a set of heavier springs. My bike is a gen 2 but these springs were from a gen 1. Ive put the gen 1 and 2 stock springs side by side and theyre identical in looks but these springs were roughly 2 inches longer, and a pain to compress I might add. Well everything went well, no leaky seals, the springs definitely feel better but when theyre under pressure and going over bumps it feels as if they are bouncing around inside the forks a bit. I took them apart and checked the fork oil level and put everything back together but it still has this issue. I went onto race techs website and the gen1 and 2 do have different part numbers but the size of the stock springs are the same so Im lost as to what would be causing this problem!! I also went with a 15 weight oil instead of the stock 10 weight. Once again any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-13-2010, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

BUMP!!!! please help!!!

post #3 of 21 Old 07-13-2010, 11:39 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to green_zx
Are the gen 1 springs the ones that were longer? If so it makes sense. There is more stored energy in a longer spring when compressed. The bouncing may be due to it trying but failing to return to a "natural state" which it can't with the gen 2 fork. Springs are only one part of the equation as the other internal parts of the fork are made to work together given the specifications of the other parts. When you introduce a part that is not with in spec all you do is add problems. It seems the only true solution is to get the correct springs or return to the stock springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 07-13-2010, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Thing is Ive talked to numerous people about beefing up my forks and they all said all they would do is put in heavier springs. Ive done plenty of fork seals so I know how easy it is to swap springs. The stock gen1 are the same size as the stock gen2 so I figured these would be fine. Wasnt sure if I may have needed to modify something internally now to make them work. Guess I'll put the stock springs back in for now

post #5 of 21 Old 07-13-2010, 04:14 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Do these forks have spacers? If so then they'll need to be shortened the same amount that the springs are longer. If you've compressed the gen 1 springs 2" more than stock then you'll have way too much preload and the forks are probably topping out badly. If there's no spacer in there, you'll need shorter springs....
post #6 of 21 Old 07-13-2010, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEATH_INC. View Post
Do these forks have spacers? If so then they'll need to be shortened the same amount that the springs are longer. If you've compressed the gen 1 springs 2" more than stock then you'll have way too much preload and the forks are probably topping out badly. If there's no spacer in there, you'll need shorter springs....
Interesting!!So part number 92026 in this link needs to be cut down to match the extra length on the new springs??

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...10050sch445909

post #7 of 21 Old 07-15-2010, 03:55 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by flthy1 View Post
Interesting!!So part number 92026 in this link needs to be cut down to match the extra length on the new springs??

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...10050sch445909
Yep, that's it.
post #8 of 21 Old 07-15-2010, 02:27 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to green_zx
I agree. The heavier spring is fine but it is the length that is your problem. You want to make sure you measure the free length, uncompressed, of each spring and then cut the difference from the spacer.
post #9 of 21 Old 07-15-2010, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Ok, done and bike is nearly assembled! I'll let you know in a few hrs if she's fixed!!! Thanks for the help!! Was so much easier compressing everything with the spacers cut!! Lol!!

post #10 of 21 Old 07-19-2010, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I cut down the spacers to what was recommended and the issue got worse. Now I could physically feel the spring bouncing around inside the forks. Not good. Took them apart and brought them back to stock with some spare spacers I had lying around, felt good but noticed my steering head had come loose. Tightened everything up, put ,my stock shock back on and now everything feels good and evened out! Till I can afford some new forks or to have mine rebuilt this will have to do! Thanks for all the help!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in