Fitting lowering links question - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-29-2011, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Fitting lowering links question

Hi

My apologies if this is a really dumb question but I am a bit mechanically challenged.

I have been trying to replace the links on my 05 ZX10 with adjustable links so I can drop the ride height. I locked the front brakes with a cable tie, jacked up the bike and managed to get the nuts off the bolts holding the left hand link. I was able to get the left hand link off with no problem but I can't get the right one off because the bolts seem to be attached to a bush that comes out of the swingarm pivot bracket when I try to remove the bolt. In other words the bolt, link and bush come out all in one piece, and won't come out all the way anyway, because the exhaust is in the way.

Is there something obvious that I am missing, or should I just put this job on the list of "things to do" when I take the bike in for a service? It just seems like I should be able to do this myself.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Best wishes

Alcatrax
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-29-2011, 04:17 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

you are going to have to remove the midpipe and canister. penetrating oil and a tap should seperate the bushing and bolt. grease the bolt and bushing, top and bottom. love my lowered 10, im short.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-29-2011, 04:37 PM
DP3
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazx10 View Post
you are going to have to remove the midpipe and canister. penetrating oil and a tap should seperate the bushing and bolt. grease the bolt and bushing, top and bottom. love my lowered 10, im short.
on what he said, and make sure you use some loctite when putting the bolts back on. Although it's a pretty easy job, maybe get a shop/dealer to do it for you since you're not mechanically inclined. They usually will charge around 50 bucks and can be done in under an hour. If they are not busy that is....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-29-2011, 04:39 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

if there is a bike shop thats NOT busy right now, you probably shouldn't go there LOLOL
post #5 of 8 Old 04-29-2011, 04:48 PM
DP3
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdrewdown View Post
if there is a bike shop thats NOT busy right now, you probably shouldn't go there LOLOL
Ya, very true.. Although a lot of times if you talk to someone, they will squeeze you in if you have an "easy job." But I guess it will depend on how much of a people person you are. LOL.

post #6 of 8 Old 04-29-2011, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazx10 View Post
Thanks for the info. I now know that the bolt can be detached from the bushing and that I need to remove the exhaust, so thats a great help. I am going to give it a try tomorrow and if I still have a problem I am confident that at least I can put it back the way it was.

Thanks again - you guys are a fantastic resource to have available.

Best wishes

Alcatrax
post #7 of 8 Old 04-29-2011, 10:21 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

i lowered my 05 and i didnt have to remove the midpipe or canister. i used a rear stand and a floor jack. it wasnt that hard of a job only took me 30 min to switch em out.

05 ZX-10R SWB.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-30-2011, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Links fitted

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx racer View Post
i lowered my 05 and i didnt have to remove the midpipe or canister. i used a rear stand and a floor jack. it wasnt that hard of a job only took me 30 min to switch em out.
I am happy to report that I successfully swapped out my links without having to remove the exhaust. I just cable-tied the right hand link to the swingarm pivot bracket so I was able to tap out the bolts from the left side without everything else coming out with them. Actually it was a good exercise as the bolt, bush and bearings were very dry so I was able to grease everything up before fitting the Soupy's adjustable lowering links.

Incidentally, before fitting the links I wound a piece of masking tape round the links, numbered each of the 6 sides and drew an arrow pointing in the direction the link needed to be turned to increase the length. This made adjusting the links much easier as I could be sure that each link had received the same number of turns. Maybe this tip will help someone else out.

Cheerio

Alcatrax
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in