Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Warragul, Victoria, Australia
Fitting the GI Pro on the 04/05
1. On the web site they say 10 minutes to fit. This is the first piece of crap
2. When it arrives the instructions say 40 minutes to fit. This is the second. Allow a couple of hours to do it properly
3. Instructions tell you to remove the tank & airbox. Although I removed the airbox, I didn't need to remove the tank, just hinged and propped it (with a gsxr1000 tank prop, which incidentally is standard with the gixxer). I believe you could do this fitting without removing the airbox, but you would need 2 people, and a couple of pairs of long point nose pliers.
4. The velcro they supply is as good as useless as on the 04/05 there is nothing flat beside the instrument panel. I made up a bracket.
5. Bracket info: 2mm aluminium plate (no thicker for clearance) 150 long X 30 wide. Mark a 25mm long section at one end off, then trim 5mm of each side for the rest of its length. This will leave you with a tee shape 20mm wide for 125mm of length widening at the head to 30mm wide for 25mm of length. The 20mm section slips between the factory instrument panel mounting rubbers, between the speedo and the mounting bracket. Stick the bracket to the mount with double sided rubber waterproof tape. To position the bracket mark off 50mm along its length from the narrow end (this will line up with the centre of the factory speed bracket.
6. once the bracket is installed with the speedo back on and the screen, you will see there is no way it can come out, even if the rubber tape becomes debonded, as it is trapped by the speedo, and the fairing.
7. you now have a nice flat mounting surface that when the GI Pro is fitted will not be seen. I did not use the velcro supplied, but used the rubber monting tape as it holds the gi pro in place a lot better. Caution required here though.... build up a few layers of the tape to provide a vidration cusion for the GI Pro that would be similar to that which the velcro would have provided
This does a really neat job