Finally the GARTHMOTOR is getting closer to being done... high velocity head porting. - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 220 Old 12-05-2008, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Speed Freak

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to garth285
Finally the GARTHMOTOR is getting closer to being done... high velocity head porting.

We'll I haven't posted about my bike in quite a while... I've had her apart for probably 3 months now.... just haven't had the time to put her together and I've been weighing the options I have... I was going to put my KWS head back on and do a valve job on it and do a before and after with a different ported head....

Anyways....my head using a different head porting idea.... its a high velocity port that actually speeds up the air speed on its way into the cylinder. This has been proven on the street, track, strip and everywhere else as being much more efficient.... there's a science to actually making the air speed pick up but we have amazing results with the porting...

I have my complete bottom end assembled as of right now and just waiting for the head to receive a competition valve job, port match intake boots and re-surface the head. Going to go .002-.004" to pick up a bit more compression as well.... Going to run my Kawi intake race cam and a stock exhaust or a stock intake on the exhaust side. had piston skirts coated, new rings, wristpins and circlips, polished connecting rods to mirror finish and replaced all low end bearings... As for HP I'm not sure yet, I dont know what the bike will dyno on this dyno but I do know that with 380lbs FULLY WET and lets say 180-195hp .... she should definitely hauls some serious butt.... I got a few guys back home that want a piece of the 10 so we'll see.... One other thing, I'm using a 06 cyl head for a smaller intake valve for added velocity... bigger isn't always better...

These ports are quite a bit smaller then stock but the power you will gain from smaller intake ports is amazing... we got a BONE STOCK ZX-14 but with degreed STOCK cams make 188hp on motor when they normally make about 178-180....

Well heres some pics of the head..... first pic is stock port second is epoxy'ed high velocity porting....

exhaust clean up....

BTW.... normally a high velocity head port job like this including valve job runs normally $1,000 valve and springs are extra of course....

Last edited by garth285; 01-08-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 220 Old 12-05-2008, 06:08 PM
jcw
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

They say you can do that on the exhaust side as well, raise the floor to improve flow. Especially on transverse 4 cylinders that have to make an immediate turn on the exhuast exit. I haven't seen it much on intakes as the flow usually is straight down from the airbox.

Check out the divider, I've heard widening properly like an airfoil also improves head flow and reduces turbulence.

Very nice.

Last edited by jcw; 12-05-2008 at 06:10 PM.
post #3 of 220 Old 12-05-2008, 06:11 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Can't wait to see the results!

Is it Fast?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 220 Old 12-05-2008, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Speed Freak

Posting Frequency

yeah, they do it on a lot of bikes that have just regular ports, if you look at the 10r the exhaust ports are raised to help that turn out into the headers.... its very hard to do it on the exhaust side since you usually have to have someone who can TIG weld very good and you have to do it piece by piece since you don't want to heat up the head and warp it....
post #5 of 220 Old 12-05-2008, 06:14 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Smile

oh yea! I knew I had seen this somewhere before,years ago. www.mototuneusa.com

Is it Fast?
post #6 of 220 Old 12-05-2008, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Speed Freak

Posting Frequency

yeah, I read about some of his stuff....

Actually there was a guy down south who used to port heads like this for over 20 years and built some of the fastest head around but he got burnt out and quit.... he did the same exact thing and I've wanted a high velocity head for a long time.... just so happens the place im working at my boss has been doing this for 8 years so far.

some people think epoxy will break away and explode a motor but he has a customer with a Harley with a epoxyed head and its been running for over 2 years and if a harley cant shake it loose nothing will.... actually one time a bike blew on the dyno and the intake valve shot back up inside the head well they had to cut the epoxy to get the valve out, thats how tough that is....
post #7 of 220 Old 12-05-2008, 06:22 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Nice, very nice Garth. Can't wait to see the results. With any luck I think it's possible that I'll send the head off my 07 down to you in about a year, that way I can gain some power and get the valve service done in one shot! Thanks for coming back and posting, can't wait to see ya whooop up on some other bikes down there.

At its core, the Ninja ZX-10R is a motorcycle built for the accomplished rider who can fully appreciate its capabilities--whether put to the test at a racetrack, or merely the focus of bench-racing conversation. It is, by all standards, the embodiment of the ultimate superbike.

Member of The Elite - Growler Group
post #8 of 220 Old 12-05-2008, 07:05 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to axo250
Hey Shawn, can't wait to see the results man! Definitely a different philosophy. I'm interested to see how it works. Did you dyno your bike before on the dyno up there?

"Besides, my ZX-10R eats GSX-Rs for breakfast." -- SportRider Magazine Article
post #9 of 220 Old 12-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I have a set of race cams in perfect condition, cheap cheap cheap, if your interested, and I'm right down the street from you in sunny Palm Beach Florida.
post #10 of 220 Old 12-05-2008, 07:46 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

can I send you mine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in