Gen 3: 2008-2010 A few questions - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 04-17-2013, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

A few questions

Hello guys , I'm kinda new to the forums. So anyways i have a few questions about a Gen 3 project i have in the plans to start on after the summer. Its going to be a 65%-35% Track/Road project.

I had in mind to start from scratch on the build by buying a totaled Gen 3 with a good motor and anything else i can salvage (Wheels, Swingarm, shock, mounting hardware etc) and build it up from there by getting a new frame/subframe and front assembly along with A/M, OEM and Race-OEM parts. The main idea was that id spend less money than i would if i got a full bike and then purchase A/M parts, but I'm not sure it'll work out that way because i don't own a shop and i don't have much experience, but who knows if anyone got any suggestions on this one please shoot.

Also, i got some questions related to tuning the Gen 3.
1) Ive seen many people around here with Flashed ECUs & Race ECUs, could anyone tell me if getting a race ECU or flashed ECU and getting it properly tuned on a dyno is going to be more effective than getting a PCV /w dyno work or autotune or a Bazzaz (again with dyno work)?

2) I was gonna go with an Akro Full but I've recently heard that Beet systems actually give more HP Gain over the Akros, anyone knows?

3) I was also thinking of going for the race cams and maybe with the JE 76mm 13.5:1 Piston Kit, just a thought tho, i think I'm taking it too far with this.

Anyways i think thats about it, I'm not aiming for the "ultimate racing machine", I'm a total newb to this so please don't get all over me if my questions are stupid and any help is appreciated.

-MFXCRYSIS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-20-2013, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Anyone?
post #3 of 4 Old 04-20-2013, 11:06 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFXCRYSIS View Post
Hello guys , I'm kinda new to the forums. So anyways i have a few questions about a Gen 3 project i have in the plans to start on after the summer. Its going to be a 65%-35% Track/Road project.

I had in mind to start from scratch on the build by buying a totaled Gen 3 with a good motor and anything else i can salvage (Wheels, Swingarm, shock, mounting hardware etc) and build it up from there by getting a new frame/subframe and front assembly along with A/M, OEM and Race-OEM parts. The main idea was that id spend less money than i would if i got a full bike and then purchase A/M parts, but I'm not sure it'll work out that way because i don't own a shop and i don't have much experience, but who knows if anyone got any suggestions on this one please shoot.

Also, i got some questions related to tuning the Gen 3.
1) Ive seen many people around here with Flashed ECUs & Race ECUs, could anyone tell me if getting a race ECU or flashed ECU and getting it properly tuned on a dyno is going to be more effective than getting a PCV /w dyno work or autotune or a Bazzaz (again with dyno work)?

2) I was gonna go with an Akro Full but I've recently heard that Beet systems actually give more HP Gain over the Akros, anyone knows?

3) I was also thinking of going for the race cams and maybe with the JE 76mm 13.5:1 Piston Kit, just a thought tho, i think I'm taking it too far with this.

Anyways i think thats about it, I'm not aiming for the "ultimate racing machine", I'm a total newb to this so please don't get all over me if my questions are stupid and any help is appreciated.

-MFXCRYSIS
Here's my 2c, take it for what it's worth as i have no clue the used bike or parts market in Greece. Here in the southeast US, clean low-mileage gen 3's can be bought for around $6000. It is much cheaper to buy the whole then modify than to buy pieces and assemble, accounting for time searching, purchasing, wrenching. Of course there are always exceptions, and there are rare cases of finding parts for cheap. But most people know what their stuff is worth so getting steals on parts is rarer than getting a steal on a clean bike.

I have a '08 with full ti hindle exhaust and pc5, custom map, dynoed all day in the low 170's. That's pretty stong so unless you are a very good rider, or racing for money, i'd say put more into suspension and tires than engine. Once the suspension was well sorted, if i had a lot of money to put into the motor, i'd use it instead on some lightweight wheels. The average and even above average trackday rider can't get everything out of a 150-170 hp motor, especially without well sorted suspension.

Either way, the gen 3 is a great bike and probably the most bike you can get for the money out there. It'd make a great bike for your project for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-20-2013, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden41 View Post
Here's my 2c, take it for what it's worth as i have no clue the used bike or parts market in Greece. Here in the southeast US, clean low-mileage gen 3's can be bought for around $6000. It is much cheaper to buy the whole then modify than to buy pieces and assemble, accounting for time searching, purchasing, wrenching. Of course there are always exceptions, and there are rare cases of finding parts for cheap. But most people know what their stuff is worth so getting steals on parts is rarer than getting a steal on a clean bike.

I have a '08 with full ti hindle exhaust and pc5, custom map, dynoed all day in the low 170's. That's pretty stong so unless you are a very good rider, or racing for money, i'd say put more into suspension and tires than engine. Once the suspension was well sorted, if i had a lot of money to put into the motor, i'd use it instead on some lightweight wheels. The average and even above average trackday rider can't get everything out of a 150-170 hp motor, especially without well sorted suspension.

Either way, the gen 3 is a great bike and probably the most bike you can get for the money out there. It'd make a great bike for your project for sure.
Thanks for the reply, ive checked the US prices too and i can say they are HELLA lower than what we got here, they go in the mid 8000s with mileage around 12k and wrecked ones go way way cheaper, so if i get the whole bike and modify it its gonna go close to the price of a light used gen 4. I dont mind putting time in searching/wrenching, im not in a hurry to get it done either. Ill have a better look in suspension for sure. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in