A few brake assembly questions - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 07-30-2008, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

A few brake assembly questions

I'm in the middle of completely disassembling and cleaning my brake calipers. I got it apart, took out and cleaned the pistons, cleaned everywhere I could reach.

Question:

- Can I reuse the dirt and oil seal rings that seal the pistons in? The manual says to replace them, but they look fine. I took out the dirt seal and cleaned it but couldn't get the oil seal out.

- How do I put the pistons back in? They were a super tight fit (as they should be). I'm just worried they won't go in easily. Do I need to get it wet with some brake fluid?

I'm also swapping the brake lines. I have everything on the front brakes apart. I drained ALL the fluid out of the reservoir and all fluid out of the master cylinder (blew some compressed air thru it to make sure the old fluid was gone). So my brake system is completely dry of fluid.

- Is there any special way I should put fluid back in once i start reassembling? Like.. is there a way to get the fluid in with the least air possible, so I don't waste a lot of fluid bleeding the air out. I'm just worried that, since the brakes are completely dry, there will be huge air pockets in the calipers behind the pistons when I start refilling it.

Any other things I should know about putting the brake system back together? I've never done this before so I'm kinda flying by the seat of my pants

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-30-2008, 01:56 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
One thing that always works well for me is to push the pistons all the way in before filling the system with fluid ; obviously the less air you've got to get rid of, the better.

Use a little rubber grease around the end of the piston, which will help them slide through the seals easily.

If you hold a seal up side-on, you'll see that the outer face (that is, the part that seals against the caliper) is at a slight angle, maybe 5 degrees.
The seals only work one way, don't recall which I'm afraid. Hopefully someone else will know off the top of their head.

Other than that, it's all pretty straightforward.

Best of luck,
Brian

Do not walk behind me, for I may not be leading.
Do not walk in front of me, for I may not follow.
Do not walk alongside me, for the path may be narrow.
Just piss off and leave me alone.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-30-2008, 08:27 AM
Custom Powder Coater

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman43 View Post
One thing that always works well for me is to push the pistons all the way in before filling the system with fluid ; obviously the less air you've got to get rid of, the better.

Use a little rubber grease around the end of the piston, which will help them slide through the seals easily.
If you hold a seal up side-on, you'll see that the outer face (that is, the part that seals against the caliper) is at a slight angle, maybe 5 degrees.
The seals only work one way, don't recall which I'm afraid. Hopefully someone else will know off the top of their head.

Other than that, it's all pretty straightforward.

Best of luck,
Brian
Yes u can use your old seals again **IF NOT DAMGED, INSPECT THEM CAREFULLY**
Do NOT use any grease as it can damage the seals and entire brake system by clogging up the snall hoels that the fluid travels through. use Brake fluid on the seals when re-installing also put fluid on the piston yes the fit is tight but if u got it straight it will slide back in, do the same for the other piston/seals and your done, oh dont forget to torque the bolts to the proper spec.

www.sportbikepc.com
Sport Bike Powder Coating,LLC
Custom Powder Coating & Authorized Dealer for:
ASV Levers,Brocks Performance,Carrozzeria Wheels,Core Moto Brake Lines, EarthX Batteries,Sato Racing, SuperSprox..
PM or [email protected] for pricing..

Last edited by 06blackpearl; 07-30-2008 at 08:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-30-2008, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

thanks guys, i reassembled the whole system. i'm going to fill and bleed the system tonight. hopefully i can figure it out.

On a side note, the galfer SS brake lines seem an inch or two too long (both). Is this normal to have this much slack? (each line was about 2 inches longer than the stock lines).
post #5 of 6 Old 07-30-2008, 01:12 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

guess what happens when the suspension extends??

BD

post #6 of 6 Old 07-30-2008, 02:49 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseHeadNinja View Post
thanks guys, i reassembled the whole system. i'm going to fill and bleed the system tonight. hopefully i can figure it out.

On a side note, the galfer SS brake lines seem an inch or two too long (both). Is this normal to have this much slack? (each line was about 2 inches longer than the stock lines).
my Goodridge lines were the same way, a bit too long on both sides. mine both ran straight off the MC as opposed to the stock set up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in