exhaust keeps leaking - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-19-2006, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
BANNED

Posting Frequency

exhaust keeps leaking

bike (04 zx10r) had a bad tapping less than 2 months ago at the strip. sure enough it was the headers leaking. i tightened them up as soon as i got home. i thought i had them real tight but i was riding earlier and stopped at a red light and heard a slight exhaust leak again....do any of you use a thread locker on your header bolts? any ideas??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-19-2006, 03:06 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

any chance you replaced the exhaust system and didn't install new gaskets?? even if new ones are used they must be torqued a 2nd time after a few heat cycles for this very reason. If you have the OEM system and they still leak after tightening them already its possible the gaskets need replacing anyway.

as far as using a thread locking agent no i don't.

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-19-2006, 03:24 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

if its not the gaskets you better check your welds on the header pipes,a friend of mine bought ti-force full system an went through three sets of gaskets tryin to install it himself,come to find out one of the header pipes had a pin hole in one of the welds an that was the problem,had the same tickin noise too,he got it fixed for free but he had to wait like three weeks

"STREET JUSTICE 4-LIFE www.streetjusticenj.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-19-2006, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
BANNED

Posting Frequency

the bike had the full muzzy on it when i bought it. when i tightened the bolts the first time, it held. the noise i am hearing now is very quiet not noticable at all, but i know its there. i never checked the gasket i just tightened them up. i might not have torqued them down enough. would lock tight be a good idea??? oh yeah and 90% of the time, i am dragging the bike at the track...fyi would an exhaust leak slow you down any????????
post #5 of 7 Old 04-19-2006, 06:48 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

They only need to be torqued to 12 lb/ft. after a few heat cycles re-torque to the same setting, 12 lb/ft.

I live my life a quarter-pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, im free. I need FRIESSSS! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didnt blow a seam on your nugget box.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-19-2006, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
BANNED

Posting Frequency

would a day at the strip be considered a heat cycle about 12 passes???
post #7 of 7 Old 04-19-2006, 10:53 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Should be plenty of heat cycles.

I live my life a quarter-pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, im free. I need FRIESSSS! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didnt blow a seam on your nugget box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in