Engine performance.... - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old 07-19-2010, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Engine performance....

Well can someone honestly tell me about power wheelies/clutch wheelies on the third gen bike with stock gearing...something must be out of whack because i read numerous post about people pulling wheelies through most of the gears using only power...well, my third gen does it in first but not very well, cant get it up in second and obviously in no other gear...im not really askign about the wheelies as much as im trying to figure out if my bike is runnign lean or rich or if my map is just bad, although the bike has always felt like this...Any tips help would be appreciated..

BTW 2008 ZX10r>akropovik CF /w link pipe, pc3, kn street filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 07-19-2010, 03:19 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Pull many wheelies? This your 1st bike? It's more in the technique than anything...that 08 should have more then enough to wheelie whenever your heart desires! My 05 will wheelie right up to 6th lol

If its got tits or tires it'll give u problems
post #3 of 42 Old 07-28-2010, 03:21 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

ummm ok seeing that u r living in socal.... we should get together and see whats is going on with that zx-10.....

Last edited by zarky; 07-28-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 Old 07-28-2010, 03:51 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I can't keep mine down in the first 2 gears and thrid lifts it up too. Mine is mostly stock, just a slip-on.

post #5 of 42 Old 07-28-2010, 03:55 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Also add Ivan's TRE... increase the OS factor for the first few rides on a totally stock bike..
Be careful, Ive had my front come up powering out of corners or some tail slide on many occasions....
post #6 of 42 Old 07-28-2010, 04:11 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Its funny that you mention it because my 1st Gen is the same way. Gotta preload to get it up in first even. I know part of my problem is being at 5,000ft elevation, but i also believe that my custom map may also be jacked.....seems like i just have a lot of hesitation before it wants to open up, like its running really rich at anything other than full throttle.

Edit: forgot to add that i'm even +2 in the rear

Last edited by Scott10r; 07-28-2010 at 04:18 PM.
post #7 of 42 Old 07-28-2010, 04:54 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Might be a dumb but I've always wondered how much seating position effects power wheelies. I'm 190 pounds and I ride damn near on top of the tank, yoshi slip on, -1,+3 with riflemans mod on a 1st gen and I can just barely pull out a 2nd gear power wheelie.
post #8 of 42 Old 07-28-2010, 04:58 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Thumbs up

Im glad to hear that others see this too. My bike is stock gearing, PCIII usb with custom map 08 intake cam degreed in at 107/103, thin head gasket .45
it went from 155 on an AMA tuner dyno to 165-168. So its pretty dead on what should be expected - pulls like a freight train, BUT with me on it, the
bike rarely will wheelie under motor in 2nd gear - although it did it in the dead of winter unexpectedly (I guess due to cold weather making best conditions). I've raced Built R1's dynoed at AMA tuner Chris Jones (He built and tuned Ricky Gadstons 660hpwr bike) and beat those soundly - so I know the bike's fast and a true 160. Here's the catch - my buddy weighing in at 225 (me at 140) cant keep my 10 down in 3rd gear - ive seen it wheelie when he shifted into 3rd right beside me while I raced on his R1 - I think heavier riders shift more weight to the rear of the bike like a See-Saw and it wheelies better. Here's another catch - I also own a 2003 R1 - dynoed on same dyno at 140's and it will wheelie over in 2nd gear every time no problem - Yet my 10 put down 160's on same dyno and just skips the front tire in 2nd gear. So its just how the 10's are.
post #9 of 42 Old 07-28-2010, 05:13 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

wow interesting...
Im having a hard time keeping it down ESP on low fuel... i did a horrible shift from 2nd to 3rd once and it was up so fast that I thought I was going over...
Given my friends 05 R1 is more inclined to wheelie but i thought is was due to the slightly shorter wheel base.. but i could be wrong...
how is your suspension setup? Stock. If so it might be to soft for you. I had my suspension setup for my weight and it was like a new bike, rode a little higher thus shifting the center of gravity a little.
now when i go heavy on the gas i get little butt sag but the front comes up easily even when leaning forward..

my bike dyno'ed @ 155HP and 78 Torque that's bone stock.
post #10 of 42 Old 07-28-2010, 05:40 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I don't get this - when my Gen3 was stock, and I'm 6'1", 188, and sit up at the tank leaning forward, I couldn't keep the front end down in 1st, 2nd, & 3rd (this around 115-125 mph). The bike would finally come down around 125 mph (all roll on throttle).

You should try some mods starting with 1/5th throttle insert (and turn it to full throttle - you'd be surprised as I did - I wasn't turning it all the way to full). I now have lower gears (-1 +2), power commander, pipe of course, air filter, remove secondaries, and smog block off to name a few. Each mod was a big increase and it's just a beast right now - unbelievable difference vs. stock.

Last edited by STurner; 07-28-2010 at 05:42 PM. Reason: clean up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in