Gen 1: 2004-2005 Electrical problems, Im almost out of ideas. - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 06-03-2015, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Electrical problems, Im almost out of ideas.

I have a 05 zx10r i have had it sine new, Its got 9k miles, I used to work on these for a living. This one has me stumped. Before i tear it completely apart maybe some has run into this same issue.

It will start sometimes but most of the time it fires up for a second and then immediately cuts off, But it will normally start after a couple tries and runs great for 5-10 mins then it will cut off, No F1 Light, nothing abnormal. The only think i noticed was odd is sometimes the fuel pump will prime then a second or so later it will run the prime cycle again and sometimes if i flip the kill switch it will not prime the pump until i turn the key off and back on.

When it cuts off the fuel pump is still running and runs for 4-5 seconds then stops like it is supposed to. It seems like a fuel pump but it checks good. It has to be electrical.

Things i have checked,

Fuel pressure and volume, Its got 43-44 psi running and it puts out 120ml of fuel in 4 seconds, Also when it was hard to start it still had rock solid fuel pressure.

Kill switch is good, I took it apart and cleaned the contacts also cleaned the connection under the nose at the plugs, It has 0 ohms resistance through the switch and the connector is good.

I took apart and cleaned the ignition switch connector its got good voltage where it is supposed to and low resistance through the plug. 6.5 volts to the gray wire.

The tip over switch is functioning properly, Also That would through a code but it is not.

Almost all other sensors are monitored by the ECM and its got no codes.

Any ideas before i pull everything one by one and spend hours tracking it down? I have never ran across one of these bikes that had similar symptoms in my 15 years of working on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-03-2015, 10:37 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman53 View Post
I have a 05 zx10r i have had it sine new, Its got 9k miles, I used to work on these for a living. This one has me stumped. Before i tear it completely apart maybe some has run into this same issue.

It will start sometimes but most of the time it fires up for a second and then immediately cuts off, But it will normally start after a couple tries and runs great for 5-10 mins then it will cut off, No F1 Light, nothing abnormal. The only think i noticed was odd is sometimes the fuel pump will prime then a second or so later it will run the prime cycle again and sometimes if i flip the kill switch it will not prime the pump until i turn the key off and back on.

When it cuts off the fuel pump is still running and runs for 4-5 seconds then stops like it is supposed to. It seems like a fuel pump but it checks good. It has to be electrical.

Things i have checked,

Fuel pressure and volume, Its got 43-44 psi running and it puts out 120ml of fuel in 4 seconds, Also when it was hard to start it still had rock solid fuel pressure.

Kill switch is good, I took it apart and cleaned the contacts also cleaned the connection under the nose at the plugs, It has 0 ohms resistance through the switch and the connector is good.

I took apart and cleaned the ignition switch connector its got good voltage where it is supposed to and low resistance through the plug. 6.5 volts to the gray wire.

The tip over switch is functioning properly, Also That would through a code but it is not.

Almost all other sensors are monitored by the ECM and its got no codes.

Any ideas before i pull everything one by one and spend hours tracking it down? I have never ran across one of these bikes that had similar symptoms in my 15 years of working on them.

Just reading this quick so going to Subscribe interested as well on the outcome.

First thing that comes to mind is connections.....meaning the Joint Connectors something is hot and loosing connection.......next is something like the Throttle Position Sensor.

I do think it's electrical though.....does it have a PCIII as well?....the more details the better.....Good Luck

bloo
post #3 of 12 Old 06-03-2015, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

It does have a PC3 and that is the next thing i am going to check.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-03-2015, 10:41 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
It does have a PC3 and that is the next thing i am going to check.
You don't check it YOU REMOVE IT!!!! .....IT HAS CONTROL OF THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR AS WELL.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-03-2015, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I am almost thinking the Crank position sensor, I have an oscilloscope i could monitor it, but the fuel pump randomly not priming or priming a few times in a row is trying to tell us something i just don't know what yet.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-03-2015, 11:08 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
I am almost thinking the Crank position sensor, I have an oscilloscope i could monitor it, but the fuel pump randomly not priming or priming a few times in a row is trying to tell us something i just don't know what yet.
yeah....that would go back to Bad Joint Connectors or a RELAY too.....Trying to buy an Oscilloscope myself but at this point don't think you need to bring it out.

Bloo
post #7 of 12 Old 06-04-2015, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I think you were right on bluedevil. I cut the harness apart around the blue joint connection beside the battery and when i flex the wires the fuel pump or ignition relay clicks in and out. The connections look good but if its not the connector its in that area.

Thanks man!
post #8 of 12 Old 06-04-2015, 01:08 AM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
I think you were right on bluedevil. I cut the harness apart around the blue joint connection beside the battery and when i flex the wires the fuel pump or ignition relay clicks in and out. The connections look good but if its not the connector its in that area.

Thanks man!
Good Deal guy glad to help if nothing else to point in the right direction. :

Bloo
post #9 of 12 Old 06-04-2015, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

It was the kill switch wire that ran through the joint connector, The 3 little red wires connect the kill switch to the relay box. The spade was loose and was intermittently loosing connection. I have not put her back together and verified it but that would make perfect sense. If it lost connection it would kill the ignition and or the fuel pump. Ill update when i get her back together.

I am thinking about just cutting the connector off and soldering all the wires together, Any reason not to? What is the reason for that connector in the first place the Kawasaki diagnostic system?
post #10 of 12 Old 06-04-2015, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

That was it it fires right up now! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in