Dyno session - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 01-19-2005, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Dyno session

Guys, I installed my Sato full exhaust last night along with some v-stacks. I also have a TRE, BMC race filter and -1 up front. The exhaust looks great(pics later) but i am going to have to trim the belly pan. Went to the dyno today. I was about half way through when the tuner saw some smoke. We looked and i had some oil comming from the valve covers. Apon review we noticed that the oil glass was completly full. i also noticed last night that my sec but were covered with oil resedue. The F#**ing dealership overfilled my oil causing blowby. I am going in the morning to drain and refil. With to much oil in the bike my numbers were 162 at 81 lbs of tq.

Question: Our friends 10r has full Akra and a air filter and dyno at 172 and 82 lbs of tq. We looked at the graph and the tuner said it might have to do with the gearing. Letting him bring the bike faster and more hp. I know that there is not 11 hp diff between the bikes. ANY THOUGHTS? Will post final #'s tomorow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-19-2005, 10:54 PM
Hillbillie Mod

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to hillcountry10r
Talking

ITs gonna be sick dude....

For every species of beasts and birds, of reptiles and creatures of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by the human race. But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil full of deadly poison.
James 3:7,8

post #3 of 11 Old 01-19-2005, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

my question is. Does the gearing come into play when the dyno calculates hp. I am -1 and our friend is stock. He is making more hp because he is he has more mph than i do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-20-2005, 01:40 AM

Posting Frequency

At what revs does yours and your mates bike make peak torque?

I believe by running a shorter gear ratio your peak torque will be at lower revs than stock gearing.

torque * revs / 5252 will give you your hp number.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-20-2005, 06:47 AM
SP8
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballsup
my question is. Does the gearing come into play when the dyno calculates hp. I am -1 and our friend is stock. He is making more hp because he is he has more mph than i do.
Gearing does not effect hp. You can do a dyno run pull in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear, and you will still get the same hp.

post #6 of 11 Old 01-20-2005, 07:05 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to crispin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP8
Gearing does not effect hp. You can do a dyno run pull in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear, and you will still get the same hp.
that is what I thought.

Hp is hp period.

ya ya ya...
post #7 of 11 Old 01-20-2005, 07:10 AM
MIA Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP8
that's what we saw when doing a 4th and then 5th gear pull....

Pesky and the "170+ HP" zx10r hooked up last night. The 10 rider wieghs a good 240. Pesky put it on him like he does every one else. Ballsup and I saw the 170+ graph ourselves but it sure didn't seam to transfer to the street. I ran behind them just to "see". My bike runs everybit as hard. I can't wait to get a piece of Pesky Sunday. If Ballsup gets a good launch and his bike truely has the 4-5 more HP that the dyno shows across the rev range (than my bike), then I think he should be able to pull right with Pesky or faster. Only top mph would be in question due to gearing. btw- the 170 HP zx10r is running 17/40 gearing.

Ballsup's graph is nice and linear with no dips. I'm betting he'll see another 1 or 2 hp after he gets some oil out. The bike is drowning.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-20-2005, 08:22 AM

Posting Frequency

the question is....the slip-on supposedly will put you in the range of 157hp and the full is 160-162...no much of a gain for an extra 7 hundred dollars...also on a different note...doesn't anyone check their bike over after they have someone else work on it (dealer)...they are not perfect by all means...170+ hp, that guy must have a special bike...
post #9 of 11 Old 01-21-2005, 03:29 AM

Posting Frequency

Welcome to my world of confusion, looks like i shouldnt listen to certain people, haha.

As stated above the hp/tq numbers don't change, which i dont believe i actually said but anyway have since had it explained to me correctly.

I think ballsup's tuner may have been referring to a dyno graph vs speed as opposed to vs revs which i was originally under the confused impression.

The reference line vs speed will be different, not the numbers(hp/tq) of course but the actual speed in relation to a given hp at a certain rev.
As has been mentioned here before one would be making better use of available hp/tq by changing gearing, arriving sooner.

Of course another variable is improved torque thrust by changing ones gearing.

awaiting the day pesky gets a beating......
post #10 of 11 Old 01-21-2005, 07:24 AM

Posting Frequency

should be interesting...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in