dyno question - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 07-29-2007, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

dyno question

ok, going to get a custom map made on the dyno...never could get the canned maps to work worth a shit. i have a couple options:

there is a local shop that tunes pc111's, but they are not dynojet certified. i have heard they do a good job and have a dynojet eddie current dyno. they charge 250.00.

the second shop is dynojet certified and on the dynojet home page. they have the tuning link software. i called and they said they tuned each cylinder individually...not just all of them at once. they charge 400.00 for the job.

which one should i go to? what is the tuning link software and is it really needed? and is mapping each cylinder better than the "regular" tune? and is 400.00 out of line for the service?

thanks

If it smells like cologne, leave it alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-29-2007, 05:28 PM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

Individual cylinder trimming would take a lot of time and if they indeed are doing it then expect to pay extra , but if I was paying for it, I would want to be right there when they do it.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-29-2007, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAF View Post
Individual cylinder trimming would take a lot of time and if they indeed are doing it then expect to pay extra , but if I was paying for it, I would want to be right there when they do it.
"trimming" do you mean "timing" if so, dont you need the ignition module to change the timing in addition to just the pc111? or can you adjust that with just the pc111?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-29-2007, 05:39 PM

Posting Frequency

go to www.smitherscustoms.com they are in your area i belive they know their stuff and only charge $200.00 .....you are in MO .....if that aint missouri then sorry to waste yor time

Last edited by hccaamps; 07-29-2007 at 05:41 PM.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-29-2007, 05:41 PM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojapar View Post
"trimming" do you mean "timing" if so, dont you need the ignition module to change the timing in addition to just the pc111? or can you adjust that with just the pc111?
No I mean "trimming" , there is a cylinder trim function which enables you to fuel trim each cylinder , which is what they are allegedly proposing to do.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-29-2007, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
No I mean "trimming" , there is a cylinder trim function which enables you to fuel trim each cylinder , which is what they are allegedly proposing to do.
cool, thanks

post #7 of 11 Old 07-29-2007, 05:44 PM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

Without a gas analyzer for each cylinder it would be just guess work on tuning individual cylinders , and to measure torque from each cylinder takes some serious equipment.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-29-2007, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by hccaamps View Post
go to www.smitherscustoms.com they are in your area i belive they know their stuff and only charge $200.00 .....you are in MO .....if that aint missouri then sorry to waste yor time
yup, missouri, i will check into it.

thanks

post #9 of 11 Old 07-29-2007, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Without a gas analyzer for each cylinder it would be just guess work on tuning individual cylinders , and to measure torque from each cylinder takes some serious equipment.
how would one analyze the gas from each cylinder w/o drilling a hole in each header and putting a sensor there before it has time to go further down the pipe and mix with gases from the other cylinders?

is that what that tuning link software is for?

post #10 of 11 Old 07-29-2007, 05:57 PM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojapar View Post
how would one analyze the gas from each cylinder w/o drilling a hole in each header and putting a sensor there before it has time to go further down the pipe and mix with gases from the other cylinders?

is that what that tuning link software is for?
Exactly,

There are algorithms and complex software programs to analyze transient fuel mixtures , not something you would find at a bike shop , to measure the torque produced in a single cylinder whilst all four are working requires mad calculations on the effect of an engine dyno's speed , at best on a chassis dyno it would be a trial and error situation, where you add or remove fuel in individual cylinders until you get a higher output.

Individual cylinders still have to work as a team in the end and getting the most out of the engine has already been calculated by 1,000 engineers in Japan , and that is why you find things like different size velocity stacks and complex airbox shapes, no they are not perfect, but a lot closer than a bike shop can hope to replicate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in