Duranni Wheels? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 12-07-2009, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
JVT
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Duranni Wheels?

I am wondering what is going on with these wheels, everything I have found is 2 years old. Does anyone have these?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 12-07-2009, 10:35 PM
jcw
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

http://www.mcadxmag.org/outspoken/42...enouement.html

Written by Dave Solo
Wednesday, 09 September 2009 03:36
Durrani Racing Components Company Closes its Doors , August 2009

Durrani Denouement

Denouement -noun- the final resolution of the intricacies of a plot, as of a drama or novel.

“The numbers and the physics said this was possible, hands down. And I was damned determined ; nothing was going to stop me, not a damned thing was going to stop that from happening.”- Sheryar Durrani, May, 2009

When I last spoke with Sheryar Durrani in late May of 2009, it seemed as though his preternatural survival skills had won out, that the engineering problems associated with his thixomolded magnesium motorcycle wheels had finally been resolved, and his “road show pitch” for raising capital had produced enough financial backing to see him into production. After more than two years of daily challenges, Durrani reported in a lengthy interview that he finally had wheels that were tested, JWL certified, completed, and ready to sell. Several sets were already on customer’s bikes and were being used on road and track, dealers were on line, investors were excited, and advertisements were in the pipeline. He was very anxious to get the word out.

The biggest news in May was that an independent lab had certified that his 17”x3.5” front and 17”x5.5” rear wheels met the rigorous JWL Japanese OEM standard for motorcycle wheels. Durrani stated at that time these were the lightest metal wheels and the only wheels made of magnesium to bear the JWL certification. He hoped this proved these were truly designed for the ‘life of the bike’, and this would serve to validate his design and rehabilitate the reputation the wheels suffered due to the early claims and failure of the initial design.

The additional strengthening of the wheels resulted in a bit more weight, and they were somewhat more expensive at $1598.00 per set rather than the initially advertised $1098.00 price. Still, Durrani was convinced they were the lightest and least expensive ‘life of the bike’ certified wheels out there, and his optimism was undiminished.

I asked Durrani for video of the lab test, a copy of the JWL certification, an opportunity to photograph and weigh the final version of the wheels and finally, the chance to ride them either on the track or on the street. As weeks went by, I received none of the documents, and the opportunity to ride and review the wheels never came to pass.

I didn’t have what I needed for a ‘final’ piece of this series, and expected now that the wheels were actually available for sale; the major magazines would do the reviewing and take the story from here. What I didn’t expect was the voice mail I received from Durrani just a few days ago, stating the company had suspended operations and shut the doors as of the first week in August. After watching Durrani and his staff defiantly balance on the precipice of disaster for so long, I was somewhat taken aback at the finality of the message.

We spoke again in late August, 2009:

MCADX: What happened? The last time we talked, the wheels had received JWL certification, and things were moving forward...

Sheryar Durrani: “Yeah, we were locked, cocked, and ready to rock. Production was ramping up, and things were going well, beyond expectations. We ran production of over 1000 wheels, 500 each of the 3.5” front and a 5.5” rear. There were a fair number of rejects; the process performance from a business standpoint wasn’t where we wanted it, but it was still manageable. With that, we proceeded to order bearings and billet material, and line things up with the powder coaters.

As we were doing that, we were suffering extreme cash flow issues, so we couldn’t order enough for all the wheels that we wanted. Guys had gone for a while without pay, but I figured within a couple weeks, with the sales coming in from the ads that were out, we’d get caught up. I felt secure in that.

I thought ‘Let’s get a dozen out there, and word of mouth would, if not blaze a trail, at least get people to order.’ At the least, I thought there would be orders of a few dozen –not hundreds as we had before, but over two months, we had three sales: That’s it. “

MCADX: Whoa.

Durrani: “Yeah. And those were from begging and pleading, to friends of friends, things like that. There were just no sales. So many people were for whatever reason not buying, that I couldn’t sustain it any longer. I could no longer with good conscience go to my investors, as I had every month for two years, and say the likelihood of sales was good. The data no longer showed that interest was strong. I wasn’t going to bullshit them.

If we had only 4 or 5 sales per week, we would have made it. We could have been able to chug along and show our investors and suppliers that some sales were coming, so weather this with us. But there was NOTHING. It was mind boggling. If the wheels launched in a better economy two years ago, when there was a greater ability to get capital and keep things moving faster we could have succeeded.

MCADX: What exactly do you think happened?

Durrani: “There were three key factors that contributed to this.
First, there was the issue of our reputation. This was the most significant. It was tarnished because we didn’t deliver in a timely fashion. The reasons for that don’t matter at this point...

Second, the economy really sucks right now, so people really pulled back into a ‘we’ll wait and see’ or ‘I’ll wait till next season to order’ attitude from would-be customers. There was so much reluctance to commit without waiting that it precluded a sustainable business model.”

Third, “We felt for technical reasons that the 5.5” wide rear wheel was the one we should begin making. In hindsight, the greater interest was in the liter bike-class wheel. Two years ago, the interest was split 40% for the 5.5” middleweight wheel and 60% for the 6” liter bike class wheel. But as the economy squeezed, the people with money had the liter bikes. People with 600s weren’t buying anymore at all.”

So why not produce a 6” as well? Despite the representations of the thixomolding machine manufacturers, the practical limit of the magnesium slurry “shot” proved to be much less than the theoretical capacity, much to Durrani’s irritation.

Durrani: “The rear 5.5” wheels come in at about 7 pounds for the injection ‘shot’ as molded (before trimming and machining). The machine capacity limit was supposed to be about 8.5 or 9 pounds. And when we were running the parts, we were running past redline and still not always getting good parts on the 5.5”wheel. The 6” wheel would have weighed about ľ of a pound more.

We wanted to optimize the process; the mold and tooling, heating, cooling, flow, pressure, timing; lots of parameters. We wanted to get good at the 5.5”, to walk before we run, then we’d do the bigger one. But that proved to be ‘bass-ackwards’ from demand.
The engineer in me was satisfied that we achieved the technical capability we set out to achieve; which was a pyrrhic victory. The businessman in me had to bow his head and admit defeat… but I wasn’t just blind and in denial, I wanted to make a difference.”

MCADX: You really don’t think that you were blind and in denial?

Durrani: “Because I couldn’t get people to invest and I didn’t have enough money on my own, It was perhaps a bit of denial and desperation that it would work out. When it didn’t, we were looking pretty bad. I was so confident this could be done, that confidence smacked of denial and arrogance, too.”

“For me, the single biggest mistake was the belief that if we built a better mousetrap, the sales would come, like in “Field of Dreams”. I also regret deeply we accepted money and orders from customers for product that wasn’t on the shelf. That thinking was a business failure that will never again happen in my life. I’m definitely a more humble and perhaps wiser man now. Whatever I do in my life I will have learned from this education.”

MCADX: Who stands to take a loss?

Durrani: About ten investors, and about a half dozen suppliers are not going to be able to be paid. There are about a dozen customers to whom I owe wheels – As soon as I get a job I plan to pay out of my own pocket for bearings, machining, and billet to make good on what I promised them. There are several sets of wheels that can be finished.

MCADX: Do those customers still want those wheels if there isn’t going to be a company to support them?

Durrani: “Most of them do, as sort of a collector’s item.”

MCADX: They’re all aware of the situation?

Durrani: “I haven’t defined in detail to all of them. About half of them I have, and they’re interested in getting them but I can’t identify a time frame. If they want a refund, I can’t give them a refund at this time, either. But when I earn some money I’ll give them the cash back if that’s what they want.”

MCADX: Do you have a valediction?

“I gave it my all, and it wasn’t good enough.” –Sheryar Durrani, August, 2009

Last Updated ( Tuesday, 15 September 2009 00:18 )
post #3 of 31 Old 12-07-2009, 10:37 PM
jcw
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

IMO, he was looking at big jail time in his growing ponzi scheme, decided he didn't want to be someone's bitch in jail, and fessed up and declared bankruptcy. I wonder how much he money from his investors and customers he paid himself before bailing on his debts. Azzhat.

1000 wheels produced, HA! I'd like to find one person that gets a wheel.

Incidentally, the statement that Durrani was the only magnesium wheel to bear JWL cert is false. Magtan is at least one company that is JWL approved.

Last edited by jcw; 12-07-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 12-07-2009, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
JVT
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Why the f is indybike displaying a banner on this site for them?....pfffft.

post #5 of 31 Old 12-07-2009, 11:03 PM
Speed Freak

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to garth285
I was wondering thta myself its been like that forever... someone needs to get on a new banner for them!
post #6 of 31 Old 12-07-2009, 11:34 PM
^^No Bike Bum^^

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to cbolton69
for anyone looking to buy some... $549.00 a set

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/mcy/1472121086.html

05 ZX-10R (stolen Dec. 3, 2010)
04 ZX-10R (SOLD)

"Violence may not be the best option...... But it's still an option"

"It's Better to die on your feet than live on your knees"

"Those afraid of pain will never know glory"
post #7 of 31 Old 12-07-2009, 11:36 PM
^^No Bike Bum^^

Posting Frequency

and there on ebay... 6 days left of bidding.. better get them quick..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAGNE...51610004r28467

04 ZX-10R (SOLD)

post #8 of 31 Old 12-07-2009, 11:38 PM
^^No Bike Bum^^

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolton69 View Post
for anyone looking to buy some... $549.00 a set

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/mcy/1472121086.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolton69 View Post
and there on ebay... 6 days left of bidding.. better get them quick..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAGNE...51610004r28467
please note i did not look into these adds at all, just posted for the ... make sure u are not walking into a scam from me posting up these links...

04 ZX-10R (SOLD)

post #9 of 31 Old 12-07-2009, 11:40 PM
Speed Freak

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to garth285
I for sure would not trust something like that ever on a sportbike.... ever...
post #10 of 31 Old 12-08-2009, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
JVT
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Well they aren't wide enough for liter bikes anyway, if they were 17x6 and had hubs id buy them for $600 bucks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in