Gen 1: 2004-2005 Dropping some bike weight - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 09-17-2012, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Dropping some bike weight

What kind of weight can you reasonably expect to drop off a gen1? I know the headers are titanium, so I'd leave those alone. But I'm thinking that replacing the can, and removing the rear pegs, rad fan, horn, bar ends, brackets, and installing a light weight battery would amount to around 20 lbs or so. Am I forgetting anything else?

Getting it down to around 410 lbs wet would be dynamite on the track! I'm wondering what the racers have done to reduce some weight of the bike, without spending big money on such items as rims.

Btw, I have no body weight to drop, for I'm a competitive runner and triathlete.

Last edited by gsxrche; 09-17-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 09-17-2012, 08:11 PM
All show and all go 10r

Posting Frequency

unless you are on the pro circuit racing for the top 3 positions weight lost is pointless for the most part. I've done it myself. My 10R lost something like 45 lbs but gained 3 liters of fuel there's a difference but not really.

post #3 of 32 Old 09-17-2012, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

I've found that any weight reduction helped everywhere on the track.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 09-17-2012, 08:14 PM
All show and all go 10r

Posting Frequency

ok well if you want to do this what's your budget? and don't just say low I need a number because it also depends where you are removing weight. road course or drag? or both?

post #5 of 32 Old 09-17-2012, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLG0987 View Post
ok well if you want to do this what's your budget? and don't just say low I need a number because it also depends where you are removing weight. road course or drag? or both?
Road racing, of course. Is there any other way to ride a bike?

I know the usual tricks (520, LiIon battery, etc) having raced years on the track. I'd like to know if taking about 30 lbs off is going to cost much, ie, without going into the rims and carbon fibre?
post #6 of 32 Old 09-17-2012, 08:54 PM
Does not drive into smoke

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrche View Post
I know the usual tricks (520, LiIon battery, etc) having raced years on the track. I'd like to know if taking about 30 lbs off is going to cost much, ie, without going into the rims and carbon fibre?
I'd imagine that having raced years on the track you would be answering such questions, not asking...
post #7 of 32 Old 09-17-2012, 08:54 PM
All show and all go 10r

Posting Frequency

contrary to belief the stock ti header is actually quite heavy. If you had a akra SS header it would be lighter not by a lot like a 3rd gen but still better. You'd get better flow as well. If you have the rubber engine blanket you can toss that. If you have the smog crap in there still that's sort of a lb. 30lbs is a lot to remove without spending a good chuck of change. Obivously remove everything you feel isn't needed, make sure it isn't if you aren't sure.

For swapped components

-Full system just great bang for your buck. Weight/power/sound
-Light weight battery
-A good wind screen, they are a little bit lighter but will actually help improve speeds as it's easier to tuck.
-Put gas tank foam blocks in the tank. Will help quite a bit with the fuel slap something like $35 totally worth it.

I don't know how the 1st gen built for the most part so I can't mention a lot of other components I removed off my 3rd gen. I'm sure someone else will chime in.

get a set a track fairings and make a easy way to swap street for race fairings. That would be 20-30lbs right there.

post #8 of 32 Old 09-17-2012, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Zilcho View Post
I'd imagine that having raced years on the track you would be answering such questions, not asking...
Every bike is different and I'm looking at purchasing a gen1.
post #9 of 32 Old 09-17-2012, 09:21 PM
Squid wannabe

Posting Frequency

You can get a light weight subrframe, shouldnt cost much.

Redo the whole wiring, remove all the unnecessary connectors.

Most of the things have been said above.

I would not remove the engine rubber blanket though, ive seen bikes get heat socked without it and loose quite a bit of power.

"The ZX-10R is capable of being perfectly docile and tractable, but few men are capable of resisting its ever-present voice urging them to just twist it and see what happens."
post #10 of 32 Old 09-17-2012, 09:26 PM
Does not drive into smoke

Posting Frequency

Talk to people who have raced the gen 1 and see if that's really what you want. Somebody told me that the gen 1 frame isn't quite as stiff as it could be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in