dropping a cylinder. - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 03-26-2012, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

dropping a cylinder.

I have a Gen 3 with 24,000 miles. Bazzaz ZFi, TRE, Block offs. And starting a few weeks ago I would start it up and it would be running on 3 cylinders and it would be throwing raw fuel out the pipe . And after a while it would run on all 4 cylinders. it keeps going back and forth. I pulled the plugs and it looked like the #1 plug was fouled so I replaced it and flushed my tank. Airfilter was clean so no worries there. It ran good for a while and then it dropped the #1 cyl again. I switched the #1 and #4 coil sticks to see if could have been the coil. It didnt do it again for 2 weeks but then it dropped the #1 cyl again. It seems to do it on start up more then any other time. And its intermittent So Im thinking my #1 injector might be stickin open when my fuel system primes. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-26-2012, 09:43 AM
Does not drive into smoke

Posting Frequency

If there is fuel in the exhaust, then the injector probably does work. I suspect the problem is somewhere else, especially since it did work for a while after you replaced the plug.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-26-2012, 09:44 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Could also be the bazzaz acting up. Disconnect and ride for awhile see if it does it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 03-26-2012, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Im thinking of removing the injectors and ultrasonic cleaning them. I will also remove the Bazzaz at some point. I just want to do one thing at a time so I can try to pinpoint the problem with out throwing a ton of money at it.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-26-2012, 06:30 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

thats a very smart and wise option to do, and removing the Bazzaz is the best option to follow that, since its really the only thing electrically non-stock dealing with fuel

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines

Last edited by -Op-; 03-26-2012 at 06:35 PM.
post #6 of 14 Old 03-26-2012, 07:08 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to Kawawog
+1 on removing the bazzaz first.. When I started having problems with my gen 3 dropping a cylinder a couple months back I disconnected the PCV and bam it was running sweet again
post #7 of 14 Old 03-26-2012, 07:12 PM
Boomer Sooner!

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawawog View Post
+1 on removing the bazzaz first.. When I started having problems with my gen 3 dropping a cylinder a couple months back I disconnected the PCV and bam it was running sweet again
How do you know it was dropping a cylinder and only running 3? ( I'm just trying to learn as much as possible )

Boomer Sooner!!!
post #8 of 14 Old 03-26-2012, 07:14 PM
Does not drive into smoke

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpcullen View Post
How do you know it was dropping a cylinder and only running 3? ( I'm just trying to learn as much as possible )
One header pipe cooler than others. Spray some water on the headers and see if it evaporates equally fast. Or you can use an infrared thermometer.
post #9 of 14 Old 03-26-2012, 07:17 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

or the blistered hand favorite of touch it lol. Please dont do this!!

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
post #10 of 14 Old 03-26-2012, 07:17 PM
Boomer Sooner!

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Zilcho View Post
One header pipe cooler than others. Spray some water on the headers and see if it evaporates equally fast. Or you can use an infrared thermometer.
Sweet, thanks.

Boomer Sooner!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in