LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 01-06-2010, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

drop in pistons?

drop in piston's yes or no? pro's and con's

Tone.R {checkmate}
Do what makes u happy whatever it is.....Roberson Racing

Last edited by tone.r; 01-07-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-06-2010, 06:45 PM
All show and all go 10r

Posting Frequency

This like a drop off daycare lol.
post #3 of 20 Old 01-06-2010, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlg0987 View Post
This like a drop off daycare lol.
what lol

Tone.R {checkmate}
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 01-06-2010, 06:53 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Ok lets see if we can find out what your trying to do? 1) You had some extra money and didn't know what to do with it? 2) You need pistons so you thought drop in pistons sounded like they would work good in case you later want to try some drop in cams? 3) You want more compression? 4) You like the idea of new pistons and didn't want to bore your cylinders? 5) You over heard some one mention them and you thought you would sound cool if you repeated it....ONLINE?
post #5 of 20 Old 01-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Speed Freak

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to garth285
tone unless your going bigger bore I'd stay with stock pistons, the JE's are 13.5:1 but you can easily achieve that with decking the cyl head... we actually have quite a bit or room to lower the deck on these motors so you can get some very good compression in her. The JE's advantages might be they are maybe slightly lighter or as light as the stock pistons....

I ran a 40 shot of nitrous on a stock piston motor for over a year or so and never had one problem, its all in the set up....

unless your going to upgrade to a 2 or 3mm pistons kit I'd stick with stock and deck the head
post #6 of 20 Old 01-06-2010, 07:56 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I'm not a fan of drop in pistons for raising compression. They usually have a less refined "crown" inhibiting flame travel-not good. I have seen drop ins out weigh the stock slugs, the motor then wastes energy overcoming the increased inertia born of a heavier recipricating part. Occassionally they will have more material above the compression ring decreasing heat shedding properties. Compression (all other things being equal) will be more efficient in getting the wheel turning (torque) but will not neccessarily compliment high rpm horsepower. I will go out on a limb hear and say if its a street motor a slight bump in cr combined with a slightly better cam would really wake it up and for that street motor that has to live with the rigors of street riding, I'm using stock pistons with a thin head gasket or take the manufactoring variables out of the squish band by milling the cylinder deck. If its a dedicated 1/4 mile engine (without class engine mod restrictions) I suppose a little further with cam and cr would make it really get down the strip. And if it is the 1/4 mile engine you are thinking about then I would look into some .080" over, 14:1 Je's.......
post #7 of 20 Old 01-06-2010, 08:17 PM

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
i'm not a fan of drop in pistons for raising compression. They usually have a less refined "crown" inhibiting flame travel-not good. I have seen drop ins out weigh the stock slugs, the motor then wastes energy overcoming the increased inertia born of a heavier recipricating part. Occassionally they will have more material above the compression ring decreasing heat shedding properties. Compression (all other things being equal) will be more efficient in getting the wheel turning (torque) but will not neccessarily compliment high rpm horsepower. I will go out on a limb hear and say if its a street motor a slight bump in cr combined with a slightly better cam would really wake it up and for that street motor that has to live with the rigors of street riding, i'm using stock pistons with a thin head gasket or take the manufactoring variables out of the squish band by milling the cylinder deck. If its a dedicated 1/4 mile engine (without class engine mod restrictions) i suppose a little further with cam and cr would make it really get down the strip. And if it is the 1/4 mile engine you are thinking about then i would look into some .080" over, 14:1 je's.......
post #8 of 20 Old 01-07-2010, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Thanks guys for the info, I was asking because if i stay stock bore a guy told me he got some dropin's pistons cheep, there close to the price of the rings.
LOL i DONT just got money to give away thats why i ask for info thanks guy's for yall input.

Tone.R {checkmate}
post #9 of 20 Old 01-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Speed Freak

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to garth285
its only $45 bucks to deck the head and 20 for a thin head gasket ;-)
post #10 of 20 Old 01-07-2010, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by garth285 View Post
its only $45 bucks to deck the head and 20 for a thin head gasket ;-)
can't beat that

Tone.R {checkmate}
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in