Do You Install Your Own Tires?? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 12-08-2005, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Do You Install Your Own Tires??

If so, what tools or machinery do you use?? Steep learning curve?? I'm sick and tired of paying the stealership and the associated waiting/trailering. Thanks.

WSMC #644
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 12-08-2005, 10:56 AM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

I have an unusually sweet agreement with my local shop that when the service dept is closed (sun/mon) i can use their equip without interuption. I do have my own static balance tool @ home so i can take my time with that part.

I know thats not much help but.........
BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
post #3 of 23 Old 12-08-2005, 11:59 AM

Posting Frequency

Our tire dealer up here charges $10 to remove and replace. And he disposes of the old tire for free.

Good ole' newbusa is generous with his static balancer for the low, low price of coffee and spare wheel weights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 12-08-2005, 12:08 PM
Yankee Racer

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to zx10ragentblack
I too am looking into getting something to do it myself as the shop I bring them to charges $30 for both wheels off the bike. Not to bad but when I am going through around 20 sets+ a year it adds up.
post #5 of 23 Old 12-08-2005, 12:25 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10ragentorange
I too am looking into getting something to do it myself as the shop I bring them to charges $30 for both wheels off the bike. Not to bad but when I am going through around 20 sets+ a year it adds up.

yes is does....$600 at least... you could pay for a tire changer and a balancer in no time.. I have a friend with Marvics and he spooned on his own wheels because no local shops want to take the risk with his wheels.. he said they really aren't too bad. The rubber is softer and more pliable then you may think

05 lime green. Sato slip-on, pc3usb, bmc race filter.
"when ya lose site of why ya ride then you've lost what really matters"---THE MOTORHEAD
post #6 of 23 Old 12-08-2005, 12:27 PM
Yankee Racer

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to zx10ragentblack
Quote:
Originally Posted by busaforhire
yes is does....$600 at least... you could pay for a tire changer and a balancer in no time.. I have a friend with Marvics and he spooned on his own wheels because no local shops want to take the risk with his wheels.. he said they really aren't too bad. The rubber is softer and more pliable then you may think
So how exactly does he do it and with what???
post #7 of 23 Old 12-08-2005, 12:51 PM

Posting Frequency

I mount and balance my own tires. I have three Motion Pro tire irons, a 13" car wheel with some split 1/2 fuel line for padding around the rim and a bottle jack. I made a wheel balancer out of some skate board wheel but I just like to fuk with stuff. There is an online tutorial floating around out there in cyber space. I looked at it before I got started to get some ideas.

It ain't hard. It helps to watch some else do it first using very basic tool. I helps to have a couple of pair of hands.

The local dealers won't even mount tire purchased elsewhere so it made my decision easy. I put around 20,000 miles a year on the all the bike combined so tires go fast.
post #8 of 23 Old 12-08-2005, 09:55 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

post #9 of 23 Old 12-08-2005, 11:21 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

My previous bike was an 01 ZX-9R. I put new 208ZRs on it myself with tire irons and plastic rim protectors. It was a bitch but the rims still look new. Not a scratch. I did this because my previous bikes always got the rims scratched by the dicks at the shop who didn't give a damn. I would seriously consider building a tire lever which makes breaking the bead a cinch. That's really the hardest part. Used to be an old guy in Huntington Beach who made a living doing tires. He did it all on an inverted 30-gallon drum with rubber padding on it. All by hand. It was amazing to watch. He would remove the old ones and pop on new ones in mere minutes. He has since died. I'll probably either buy new tires at the track or bring new ones there and have the tire guy mount them for me on the 10.

Full Akrapovic Evo II Ti w/short can, PCIIIusb w/Quickshifter, Helibars, Scotts Damper reverse mounted, Galfer SS brake lines, ZG DB screen, Clear Alternative flush mounts, CRG shorty levers, CW fender eliminator, Kawasaki solo seat cover, -1 AFAM front w/Speedo Healer, Champ91 frame sliders
post #10 of 23 Old 12-09-2005, 12:55 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in