Gen 3: 2008-2010 Diy tre - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 06-03-2011, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Speed Freak

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to garth285
Diy tre

Anyone done their own home made TRE for the 08-10 ZX-10r.....

looking at the wiring diagram yeah it would be easy to show the bike is in neutral but how do you keep the gauge cluster's gear indicator active?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-03-2011, 10:47 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by garth285 View Post
Anyone done their own home made TRE for the 08-10 ZX-10r.....

looking at the wiring diagram yeah it would be easy to show the bike is in neutral but how do you keep the gauge cluster's gear indicator active?
I have made my own but I don't think it is possible. The one I made is a 2 way switch, off is defaulted to 6 gear, up position is 9k ohms or neutral map, down position is normal with gear indicator working. In neutral map the display is blank.

2005 ZX-10R Akrapovic Ti Evo 2 w/CF LOR can, PC3 with custom map, Factory Pro velocity stacks

2009 ZX-10r Full Gen4 Brock's SS exhaust with CF 14" can, PC3, Secondary Butterflies Removed, Kawasaki Race Exhaust Cam, My Own TRE, Degreed Cams 109/108

2011 zx10r Lower'd 2" Frt & Rear, Stretched 8", Graves CF slipon, GUHL Flashed ECU
post #3 of 10 Old 06-04-2011, 05:55 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

You can't, without some additional electronics and splicing into the ECU harness elsewhere. In short, you have have to read the gear position sensor voltage to determine what gear the bike is in, set a register with that value for later use, change the voltage to the one matching the gear you want to ECU to THINK the bike is in. Afterwards you have to figure out where that voltage gets input to the gear position sensor, and substitute the value saved earlier, generate that voltage and send it to the input of the gear position indicator so that it reads the proper gear instead of the gear the ECU otherwise thinks is in use.

That can all be accomplished with a pretty simple microcontroller. It's also how the TREs with a built-in GPI work, but instead of hacking the gear position indicator input on the bike, the same info is sent to a circuit that drives the 8-segment LCD digit on the outboard GPI.

-Matt

"Too much horsepower is just about right."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-04-2011, 06:05 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I'll have to have another look at the schematic, but I think I can even tell you which wires need to be split off. Instead of re-inventing the wheel, I purchased an XTRE from HealTech. When the install had me hacking into the same wires, I knew I'd been on the right track.

I need to go look at the schematic again. I just thought of a different approach that might work without the microcontroller.

-Matt

"Too much horsepower is just about right."
post #5 of 10 Old 06-04-2011, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Speed Freak

Posting Frequency

Got my problem solved :-D

Don from Guhl Motors will flash the ECU for us.... he also said the 2008-2010's have about 4 degrees timing pulled on them as well so should pick up a lil wth the timing put back in it, and will also keep the secondarys open all the way in all gears. :-D
post #6 of 10 Old 06-04-2011, 09:45 PM
All show and all go 10r

Posting Frequency

Thought the tre didn't do crap on the 3 gen. You got a 3 gen Garth?

post #7 of 10 Old 06-05-2011, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Speed Freak

Posting Frequency

Nope its for a buddy of mine, every bit counts even if its only .5* of timing lol....
post #8 of 10 Old 06-24-2011, 12:28 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to EvilBoost
ok so i just took out my secondaries... and wiped out the kleen system... lol do i plug in the old servo in it or is there some type of plug i can make? im at the shop... i bit bored with the 09 zx10r right now... getting the 11 in 2 weeks... garth speak to me buddy what do i do with this i keep reading different things on this forum

http://www.evilboost.com
2000 Kawasaki Ninja ZX12R, 2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R, 2001 Yamaha R1, 2003 Harley Davidson Heritage Softtail, 2001 Yamaha Vstar 1100, 1996 Kawasaki Ninja ZX7R. Forever Fearless !
post #9 of 10 Old 06-24-2011, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Speed Freak

Posting Frequency

the valve that you removed you should be able to just put a jumper wire in there and should be set
post #10 of 10 Old 06-24-2011, 06:12 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by garth285 View Post
Got my problem solved :-D

Don from Guhl Motors will flash the ECU for us.... he also said the 2008-2010's have about 4 degrees timing pulled on them as well so should pick up a lil wth the timing put back in it, and will also keep the secondarys open all the way in all gears. :-D
Noticed a little difference after don flashed my ecu on the butt dyno...I was also told to leave in my flies....im putting it on a dyno soon..im curious to see what the result is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in