Gen 4: 2011-2015 Disappointed dyno results after race int, 0.50 hg - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 06-19-2018, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Disappointed dyno results after race int, 0.50 hg

Hello.
So we put the race intake camshaft, decked head 0.04mm, 0.50mm hg and degreed the cams at 112.5 / 105.5
All measurements of cam timing is at 1mm lift of the cams.
The plan was to degree the race int cam to 110 but the ptv clearance was 1mm and we decided to leave it at 112.5 were the ptv clearance is 1.3mm
The exhaust is set at 105.5 were ptv clearance is 1.7mm
The results are the same whp as before with the stock engine.
I am very disappointed.
What do you guys suggest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 06-19-2018, 08:33 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Its notoriously difficult on G4 to make gains with can timing. G4 you should measure the drop at 0.50 earlier Gens are 0.40. Also the head needs another 0.2 mm shaving 0.6 sounds a lot but that's where the gain is with that head. Cutting the seats back to lower the numbers doesn't work either. Teams here prefer the Kent Cam Kawi 35 as it uses a higher lift to get gains.
gaz likes this.
post #3 of 36 Old 06-19-2018, 08:38 AM
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300ZX10R View Post
Hello.
So we put the race intake camshaft, decked head 0.04mm, 0.50mm hg and degreed the cams at 112.5 / 105.5
All measurements of cam timing is at 1mm lift of the cams.
The plan was to degree the race int cam to 110 but the ptv clearance was 1mm and we decided to leave it at 112.5 were the ptv clearance is 1.3mm
The exhaust is set at 105.5 were ptv clearance is 1.7mm
The results are the same whp as before with the stock engine.
I am very disappointed.
What do you guys suggest?
Take it to a shop that works with those bikes and let them work their magic. KWS Motorsports in Charleston SC, or EDR Performance in Portland OR.

"You must subsume yourself to the bike"-Casey Stoner

"There’s a moment when a rider needs to stop thinking about technology and just twist the throttle."-Pit Beirer, KTM Motor Sport Director
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 06-20-2018, 12:06 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Michael why he has to measure the drop at 0.50 and not at 0.40 like the earlier gens?

Gen3 : Arata full exhaust , KN air filter , 520 DID Renthal , oem Ecu converted to Race Kawasaki Ecu , milled ported head , Kent camshafts , lowered , Pk shifter , 14k rev limiter . Ecu tuned by TRE ( mr Balogiannis)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLsF4A1k_ew
post #5 of 36 Old 06-20-2018, 09:06 AM
gaz
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

common results. decked the head .016? measured int/ex ptv at 10-15 degrees after/before tdc? little surprised ur that snug on int at 110. pita to redegree, but that int clereance is adquate on that engine, tight but ok. dont know if this will help but remember stretched 10r had a customers gen 4 on dyno with identical cam timing and mods as yours. making about 183 and not happy. called and 110/108 cam #'s produced 193. that was his experience, his motor, cant say ur's will do same. just put a 400 lift/longer duration web in a gen 1 zx10, not happy with the tuned results myself, hp a little off and torque curve soft. i degreed my gen 3 race int 4 times before i found the power/et/mph i wanted. originally degreed at 108, only change made was int to 110.5 bike jumped 6 mph in 1/4. picked up little more mph better et at 111, slowed up at 112. kaw race int cams are very sensitive to cam degree, at least on my builds. really seems that way on gen 4 in particular. one conclusion i have come to is be careful with larger/longer duration cams in any 1000cc bike especially the kaws. they have the highest lobe intensity stock of all the brands already.
Neonmarine likes this.
post #6 of 36 Old 06-20-2018, 09:34 AM
gaz
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

one other culprit worth mentioning imo is the decked head. that gen 4 head is most difficult to mill square and flat as it is angle milled from kaw. i've done the setup before, never took less than two hours with a tool bar chucked up in the mill and dual dial indicators attached to each end. head has to be shimmed where indicators read 0 full length, full width sweep of the head at all points within a thousands or two max when fastened down. get a larger deviation and head bows slightley when torqued down distorting valve seats and valve seal lost on a few valves killing hp. been there, done that and learned from it. leak down test best, but simple 10mm sparkplug compression gauge adapter plumbed to 90-100 psi air source, cyl at tdc wil reveal int/ex valve leakage by air escaping.
Neonmarine likes this.
post #7 of 36 Old 06-20-2018, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Gaz your posts are always full of good information.
Head is decked to the right angle.
I didn't want to get extra compression from head so I decked the minimum just to be sure it's cleaned/straight.
I also checked each valve before assembly and none is leaking.
Ptv clearance checked at 10 degrees as kawi race manual suggests.
So you say its safe on this 14k high revving motor to set the intake ptv clearance at 1mm?
I now kawi say minimum 0.7mm but I am a little concerned about my engine life.
The other problem with my motor is that power never ends and still climbing.
It hits rev limiter at 13950 and max power is at 13950rpm.
With this power curve everyone would suggest to lower the exhaust cam numbers not raise them.
post #8 of 36 Old 06-20-2018, 04:08 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
I didn't want to get extra compression from head so I decked the minimum just to be sure it's cleaned/straight.
So you say its safe on this 14k high revving motor to set the intake ptv clearance at 1mm?
With this power curve everyone would suggest to lower the exhaust cam numbers not raise them.
With this power curve you would want to lower intake cam number, I'd start with a deg less and go from there, you'd gain more power under the curve.
post #9 of 36 Old 06-20-2018, 04:48 PM
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Why can't you raise the rev limiter?
bbsteinnewyork likes this.

"You must subsume yourself to the bike"-Casey Stoner

"There’s a moment when a rider needs to stop thinking about technology and just twist the throttle."-Pit Beirer, KTM Motor Sport Director
post #10 of 36 Old 06-21-2018, 12:56 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatiss View Post
Michael why he has to measure the drop at 0.50 and not at 0.40 like the earlier gens?
I have no idea, all the technical information, ie Kit manual, web cam, Kent cam started listing @ 0.50 for this Gen for some reason. I just do it as its there.
theatiss likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in