Dirt Bike Advice - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 07-24-2015, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Dirt Bike Advice

I know this isn't about my 10, but if anyone knows about dirt bikes please chime in.

I just got a 2009 crf 450r not to long ago. When it gets too hot from doing slow technical woods riding it starts pissing coolant out of the weep hole. When I add more in to the top of the radiator, it looks all gunked with with orange coolant crap. It looks like orange sludge. Would it be okay or would it work to do a coolant flush with the distilled water and the heat cycle process? Afterwards I want to install a boyesen supercooler kit and engine ice. Can it run with that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-24-2015, 09:28 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Sounds like its overheating in the woods. The "R" models don't have a rad fan and aren't really designed to go slow. If its orange and gunky I would flush it as good as you can and replace the coolant.
post #3 of 15 Old 07-24-2015, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhouse View Post
Sounds like its overheating in the woods. The "R" models don't have a rad fan and aren't really designed to go slow. If its orange and gunky I would flush it as good as you can and replace the coolant.
I mean I understand it's overheating and understand the models. Is the distilled water and heat cycle process the best way to flush it? Is engine Ice ok to be ran through it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 07-24-2015, 10:44 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I always ran engine ice in my enduro bikes. Run it with the distilled water for a minute or two, shut it off and do another quick water cycle. Finally fill it with the Engine Ice.

I ran a boysen supercooler in a YZ167 2 smoker and it would still boil over in the slow technical stuff. Id save your money and use the engine ice first.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-24-2015, 05:50 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by harobikes167 View Post
I know this isn't about my 10, but if anyone knows about dirt bikes please chime in.

I just got a 2009 crf 450r not to long ago. When it gets too hot from doing slow technical woods riding it starts pissing coolant out of the weep hole. When I add more in to the top of the radiator, it looks all gunked with with orange coolant crap. It looks like orange sludge. Would it be okay or would it work to do a coolant flush with the distilled water and the heat cycle process? Afterwards I want to install a boyesen supercooler kit and engine ice. Can it run with that?
Not unusual for few drops of coolant to come out the weep hole, my F800GS does it and so do the new R1200GS's. Matter of fact most if not all liquid-cooled engines weep coolant but we don't see it because the weep hole is low on the bike or under the hood. But it should be such a small amount that it does not cause the coolant level to go down. If it's pissing out coolant excessively then the mechanical seal is bad and you need to rebuild or repair the water pump.
turtle1000 likes this.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-27-2015, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Fang View Post
Not unusual for few drops of coolant to come out the weep hole, my F800GS does it and so do the new R1200GS's. Matter of fact most if not all liquid-cooled engines weep coolant but we don't see it because the weep hole is low on the bike or under the hood. But it should be such a small amount that it does not cause the coolant level to go down. If it's pissing out coolant excessively then the mechanical seal is bad and you need to rebuild or repair the water pump.
If it was the mechanical seal, wouldn't it be pissing coolant all the time? By all the time, I mean basically from start up not even hot?
post #7 of 15 Old 07-27-2015, 04:30 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Same for me too! Engine Ice!
post #8 of 15 Old 07-27-2015, 05:31 PM
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Sounds like someone mixed coolant types and it coagulated. Yeah, flush it and fill it with either 50/50 or Engine Ice as mentioned.
turtle1000 likes this.
post #9 of 15 Old 07-28-2015, 08:15 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Mentioned above, engine ice will give you a little bit cooler, but the 250-r and 450-r will run hot, on the tight single tracks you gotta try and hustle or it will start to get really hot. Keep her moving and if you get arm pump and too tired to continue or get stuck, shut her off.
post #10 of 15 Old 07-28-2015, 08:49 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I had to get second bike for tight woods shit. Was afraid of serious overheating on my R model. This goes for all brands.. Having said that flush it use wetter and try again. Maybe it was extra hot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in