Desperately need help with 1/5 throttle... - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 09-06-2006, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Desperately need help with 1/5 throttle...

I got my 1/5 throttle spacer from Rifleman and tried to install it tonight. It came with no directions but in his PM, it had a link on how to install it. It looked easy so I gave it a try. I took apart the throttle housing and took off the cables and ground the tabs out of the housing…everything was going good.

Next I removed the tank which was a hard because I abused the wiring connector for the fuel pump trying to get it apart. I never could figure out how to take the fuel line loose from the tank though, so I set it on a chair next to the bike still attached.

Next, took off the airbox and thought I was going to break off the sensor in the back trying to twist and wiggle it out of there. It was a tight squeeze, but I got it out without breaking that sensor in the back…at least it did not physically look broke.

So now I have an open shot of everything. I get my laptop out and look over the installation pictures again because things just don’t look as I remembered them. Well, things are totally different. I guess those pics were off an ‘04-’05 and mine is a ’06.

There are only two slack adjusters on my cables and they are both located a few inches from the throttle. The pics show a couple by the radiator and a couple where they go into the throttle bodies, and I assume a couple more by the throttle where mine are located.

Well, I screw mine in all the way to get maximum slack and put the thing back together. Everyting goes together fine, but just as I suspected, the throttle was stiff and needed more adjustment, but I didn’t have any and no where to get any.

So next, I cut the plastic nut off one of the adjusters so I can screw the adjuster in further to get a little more slack. Well, that didn’t work because it bottomed out and wouldn’t screw in all the way.

In a final stand, I get out the hack saw and saw about 3/16 – 1/4 in inch off the threaded housing. I go real slow and saw a ring around it and when I get close, I take some pliers and break the end off so I don’t saw through and cut the cable.

Well, that part goes well, although time consuming. Now I have this ring of threaded tube around the cable that has to come off. It is too short to saw, so I get some dikes and cut through it. While in the process and straining my hardest to cut through the aluminum tubing, I finally break through and the piece falls to the floor.

Now im excited to put it back together and get riding. I get ready to screw the part back together and I noticed the 4-5 strands of the cable are cut and are fraying off. I put it all back together anyway and it was just the right amount cut off to make it work, but I am not going to take a chance putting a frayed cable back in there.

If it comes apart more and jams inside the cable, it could make it bind and cause the throttle to stick. So now I ordered a new throttle cable tonight.

I’m debating on giving it another shot, or else just throwing away the 1/5 conversion and going back stock. I just don’t know any other way to make it work and I don’t want to ruin another cable.

Has anyone did the mod on a ’06 and how did you go about doing it.

Here is the part I am really worried about…the throttle cable hooks on to the throttle bodies at the end on the clutch side and it is smashed tightly against the frame. There looks to be no room to work to replace the cables. I’m hoping the engine will not have to be pulled or I’m in trouble.

If anyone can give me any advise, please do…got the bike in pieces in the garage and want to get on the road ASAP.

Thanks in advance

PS…how do you take the gas line off the tank? Does it remove at the fuel pump or at the throttle bodies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-06-2006, 12:19 AM
Still here

Posting Frequency

PS…how do you take the gas line off the tank? Does it remove at the fuel pump or at the throttle bodies?[/QUOTE]

You just pop the red clip on either end, not off, just pop it loose, then the line comes right off. Reverse to install.
post #3 of 21 Old 09-06-2006, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

thanks...i was going to try that, but didnt feel up to tearing anyting else up tonight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 09-06-2006, 12:39 AM
Still here

Posting Frequency

After all that, I'd try it again but tape the cable before cutting and maybe try a dremmel? or smaller nips at the barrel.

The elec connector for fuel pump and the air box are a bitch on the 05 too.

Once you've done the box once, and get the twist down, it's pretty easy next time.
post #5 of 21 Old 09-06-2006, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX10Miami
After all that, I'd try it again but tape the cable before cutting and maybe try a dremmel? or smaller nips at the barrel.

The elec connector for fuel pump and the air box are a bitch on the 05 too.

Once you've done the box once, and get the twist down, it's pretty easy next time.
yea, sounds like i need to get a dremel tool and some sort of grinder on there. im sure it will be a tedious process. i will go look at walmart tonight.

yea, i think i have the "twist" down. i just hope i didnt damage that plug at the back of it. it has to smash against the frame hard to come out. no other options but to remove it, but it didnt look very user friendly to take out.

well, since i have the box out and everthing taken apart, i guess im going to order the TRE and Kleen air block off's from Ivan tomorrow...looks like a good time to do it.

i gutted the cat earlier today and it was making a little "popping" afterwards, but thats another story.
post #6 of 21 Old 09-06-2006, 12:57 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Ok that sounds like a lot of work for that mod. You just talked me out of it! Thanks.
post #7 of 21 Old 09-06-2006, 08:12 AM

Posting Frequency

Kawasaki makes a 1/6 throttle which gives even more response than the 1/5 conversion. If you don't want the expense of the kawasaki hardware, you could try the kawasaki throttle cables that go with their 1/6 conversion. They are longer than stock and would probably work fine for your 1/5 conversion.
post #8 of 21 Old 09-06-2006, 09:29 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by eveldoerZX10R
Ok that sounds like a lot of work for that mod. You just talked me out of it! Thanks.

Naw!.. its really not that bad, It took me probaly 1 hour from start to finish....

Imo, if it took 3 hours, its well worth the 25bucks and your time.. The best mod i've done to my 10 so far....
post #9 of 21 Old 09-06-2006, 06:32 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

post #10 of 21 Old 09-06-2006, 07:36 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

rojapar...the fuel pump plug on 04/05s is really tight. It is held in by 3 tabs and one is on a bracket side and makes it difficult to remove. Since I take my tank off alot I shaved 2 of the 3 tabs to make it easier for tank removal, the plug is so tight it isn't going to come out with one tab. Hopefully after a few times with the tank removal you will get it down pat and that wont be an issue anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in