De-AIS, de-cat, new plugs=BACKFIRE!! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 09-08-2010, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
De-AIS, de-cat, new plugs=BACKFIRE!!

Help me diagnose what I screwed up. I'm done tinkering for the day and started in on the beer so... I'll wait until tomorrow to look at the bike again.

What I did-R&R plugs with OEM, remove AIS, install Ivan's block offs and installed cat delete. I was going to pull the cams to see if I had retainer issues so I pulled the throttle bodies. Then I decided I'd better run the bike first to make sure I didn't screw anything up. So, I buttoned it all back up.

I fired up the bike and it backfires a ton at idle-really fawking loud. I feel bad because it scared the hell out of my dog and the neighbors came out to see what was going on. I fired it up again and it didn't seem too happy to idle but it ran fine and didn't backfire with a few RPMs. It did make a bit more noise but that could have been the cat delete.

Prior mods are LV Superbike slip ons, a PCIII with full LV system map, TRE and, um... nothing else that would affect the engine. Prior to recent work, the bike ran quite nicely-no issues.

I figure 1 of 2 things is buggered up. I've got map issues. I'll get a custom tune done but I didn't want to do it until the winter if I can help it. I want to check the valves first and address retainer issues if I have them. If this issue is common, and I suspect it isn't, maybe make a manual adjustment to the fueling with my trusty laptop at idle/closed throttle. Or 2, I crossed plug wires on cylinders 1 and 2. I won't be too surprised if this is the answer. I thought I was careful but... things happen.

I'm really tired, had too much to drink (that's not much, I rarely drink) and I'm in a piss off because my truck took a dump on me this afternoon.

Tomorrow I'll solve the current issue I hope, replace oil and filter, install HIDs, bleed the brakes and give her a good cleaning. I put on a new chain and went to a 16-40 sprocket setup. That ought to be interesting. I've got to bleed the summer air out of my tires and put the fall air in. It's that time of year again.

Last edited by Sasquatch; 09-08-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-08-2010, 11:03 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

make sure the harness is plugged into the right coils for the plugs sounds like the firing order is messed up to me
post #3 of 5 Old 09-08-2010, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by angstroma2004 View Post
make sure the harness is plugged into the right coils for the plugs sounds like the firing order is messed up to me
I do believe you're right. I'll check it out in the morning and update this thread. Thanks angstroma2004.

It doesn't matter. It's freakin' RAINING right now! WTF is this nonsense???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-08-2010, 11:19 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by angstroma2004 View Post
post #5 of 5 Old 09-12-2010, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
I finally go back to the bike this morning and the plug wires don't seem to be crossed. Since none of them are numbered, I'm going to check the wiring schematic in the manual to see if everything lines up. I'm not at home so I'll download the manual and start digging.

Currently, the wires are as follows (black w/stripe being the only change).

Cylinder 1, Blk/Gr
Cylinder 2, Blk
Cylinder 3, Blk/Wht
Cylinder 4, Blk/Or

1 and 2 are what I thought might have been crossed. Updates as info is found in the manual.

Problem solved! First, my apologies for the Godzilla sized picture posted below. I couldn't figure out how to delete all of the blank space to the right of the diagram.

You, me, I, us... we were right-plug wires were crossed. Cylinders 1 and 2 were bass ackwards. Page 3-18 of the service manual (downloaded from here-thanks to whomever hosts it) clearly showed the wiring colors to the plugs exactly as I listed above but with 1 and 2 reversed.

I have no idea how this could have happened. I've never made a mistake before in my life! Thanks for the help/feedback. Ride safe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10r plug wiring.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	135957  

Last edited by Sasquatch; 09-12-2010 at 03:31 PM. Reason: new info/problem solved
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in