Cutting down cans - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 Old 10-23-2005, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Cutting down cans

Saw a really nice 10 today on our local hill w/ an arata C.F. shorty can, bitchin but so expensive. Has anyone cut a carbon fiber yosh or muzzy down. It seems like I could drill out the rivets, saw it down and put it back together. Just curious if anyone done it yet and how it sounded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 10-23-2005, 11:10 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Do a Search and yes it has been done. It really would not be that hard to do just make sure you tape the carbon fiber or it will look bad where you cut it. A better idea would be to use a high speed cutter of some sort. A band saw with fine teeth would be a good idea.

04 Green ZX-10R, Evo II Header, Evo Canister, PCIIIUSB, BMC Race Filter, Vortex adj. Rearsets, Scorpio Alarm, Scotts Damper, Ivan's TRE, Ivan PCIII USB Map, Ivan's Kleen Block-Offs, Clear Alternatives Flush Mounts, Puig Double Bubble, Mirror Blocks, Sho-gun sliders, 1/5 throttle, Hot bodies fender eliminator, Goodridge SS lines, pazzo shorties and exhuast hanger.
post #3 of 43 Old 10-23-2005, 11:11 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Oh and

04 Green ZX-10R, Evo II Header, Evo Canister, PCIIIUSB, BMC Race Filter, Vortex adj. Rearsets, Scorpio Alarm, Scotts Damper, Ivan's TRE, Ivan PCIII USB Map, Ivan's Kleen Block-Offs, Clear Alternatives Flush Mounts, Puig Double Bubble, Mirror Blocks, Sho-gun sliders, 1/5 throttle, Hot bodies fender eliminator, Goodridge SS lines, pazzo shorties and exhuast hanger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 Old 10-23-2005, 11:19 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

https://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.p...highlight=akra

post #5 of 43 Old 10-23-2005, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Thanks, I tried searching but couldn't come up w/ the right keywords. I'm sure I've seen it done before.
post #6 of 43 Old 10-23-2005, 11:23 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Here is a quote on how ForceRecon did his. It might help a bit more.

"It was pretty easy, Drill out the rivits, pull the can apart, decide how much you want to remove, tape around the area that you cut to keep it from splintering, and cut away. I used a hack saw and did it by hand to be very carefull. Cut the inner screen tube and packing the same amount that you removed from the carbon. mock it all back together and use the band to as a templet for the holes to drill. Use tape again to keep from splintering the carbon and get after it. Took about a hour total... Yes, It's loud like a D&D pipe with a nice rumble to it..
I was board and wanted something to be different.
Recon"

post #7 of 43 Old 10-24-2005, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Awsome, thanks dude!
post #8 of 43 Old 10-24-2005, 09:03 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I cut down my Two-Brothers. It was really easy.

https://zx-10r.net/gallery/showimage....&cutoffdate=-1

Last edited by windsor; 04-05-2006 at 10:51 AM.
post #9 of 43 Old 03-06-2006, 09:01 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtusmc96
Here is a quote on how ForceRecon did his. It might help a bit more.

"It was pretty easy, Drill out the rivits, pull the can apart, decide how much you want to remove, tape around the area that you cut to keep it from splintering, and cut away. I used a hack saw and did it by hand to be very carefull. Cut the inner screen tube and packing the same amount that you removed from the carbon. mock it all back together and use the band to as a templet for the holes to drill. Use tape again to keep from splintering the carbon and get after it. Took about a hour total... Yes, It's loud like a D&D pipe with a nice rumble to it..
I was board and wanted something to be different.
Recon"
I followed these instructions this weekend and cut 3" off my carbon fiber scorpion slip-on for a total length of 15" now. The result was better than expected. All I used was a dremel, cordless drill, and rivet tool. I cut the exhaust housing at the inlet side so I could keep the scorpion decal, but I cut the inside baffle on the outlet side. I wish I had a before sound clip, because now the exhaust has a really nice deep growl. It sounds like a full system now. This was the cheapest mod I've done all winter. I recommend this mod to anyone who has been debating whether or not to cut their exhaust themselves.
post #10 of 43 Old 03-06-2006, 10:16 PM
Green Hippie

Posting Frequency

this one I cut down 2.78 inches

VAE VICTUS!

RIP James R Patterson 6/3/30-5/26/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in