Custom tune question.... - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 09-21-2010, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Custom tune question....

Searched but did not find any specific thread.

So I have a appt for a custom tune.

Bike: 07 10, mods are full arata ti race exh/ kn air filter and pc3. I also have a gipro.

Question: Do I tune on the gipro setting i ride with ie "2" or on "0" or does it not make a difference? Thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-21-2010, 04:35 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Set up your bike however you want to ride it permanently, after he tunes it, changing anything is gonna throw it off a little bit.

It all boils down to air/fuel ratios in my experience.
post #3 of 20 Old 09-21-2010, 05:29 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I thought last I recalled they said you should put it in the Off/Normal mode and then have it tuned. I don't have one so I'm not exactly sure what settings you have but I believe some of the ones who have did it that way then tried changing the modes on gipro. I also think a few pretty much kept it off and just used it as a gear indicator.

(PM bloo as I'm fairly certain he did a lot of "investigating" regarding the use of the TRE)

Last edited by themightymezzo; 09-21-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 09-21-2010, 06:13 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by customspeed View Post
Set up your bike however you want to ride it permanently, after he tunes it, changing anything is gonna throw it off a little bit.

It all boils down to air/fuel ratios in my experience.

I agree with this... TRE will effect your ignition timing and technically timing will affect when the fuel starts to burn which could affect how much of it burns so I would have it tuned with everything how you plan to ride it.
post #5 of 20 Old 09-21-2010, 07:49 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by BratNetwork View Post

I agree with this... TRE will effect your ignition timing and technically timing will affect when the fuel starts to burn which could affect how much of it burns so I would have it tuned with everything how you plan to ride it.
I could be wrong with my above post?!?! I don't think they really have any direct relation to each other but the ATRE would "compliment" the use of a PC?

I thought the ATRE just "fooled/forced" the ECU into using the non-retarded modes and used one map? Didn't think it had any direct effect on the fuel/air ratio which is the main purpose of the PC.

I thought that basically timing was retarded in gears 1-4 to reduce the performance of the bike and the ATRE basically would make it use the one map so you had the full performance instead of the "retarded" one. The ATRE just letting the bike switch back to it's neutral map instead of the forced one so it idles smoother where the TRE wouldn't detect neutral.

I don't think there are any HP gains using the ATRE but better performance/response.

Maybe I've confused myself.

Last edited by themightymezzo; 09-21-2010 at 08:08 PM.
post #6 of 20 Old 09-21-2010, 09:20 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I confirmed with my father who has been a mechanic for over 30 yrs (I am too but he has dealt with this stuff more when older vehicles you actually had to set the timing)

Ignition timing does affect air/fuel. When you have a car with a distributor and carb you ALWAYS set the timing before you do any carb tuning. And if you change the timing after that you have to recheck the carb again.

Advancing the timing makes it leaner, retarding it makes it richer.
post #7 of 20 Old 09-21-2010, 09:42 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to Kawawog
Quote:
I confirmed with my father who has been a mechanic for over 30 yrs (I am too but he has dealt with this stuff more when older vehicles you actually had to set the timing)

Ignition timing does affect air/fuel. When you have a car with a distributor and carb you ALWAYS set the timing before you do any carb tuning. And if you change the timing after that you have to recheck the carb again.

Interesting.. So if i was to fit my TRE back on id need to go get mine custom mapped again..
More money spent arrrgh!
post #8 of 20 Old 09-21-2010, 09:52 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

If you take it to a tuner that knows what they are doing they will do all of this for you according to how you plan on using the bike. Where are you located? Shoot me a PM
post #9 of 20 Old 09-22-2010, 09:13 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:

I don't think the timing effects the air/fuel ratio but at the point it's burned. The air/fuel ratio is set by the PC. The timing does have an effect on at what point in the process it's actually igniting.

The TRE doesn't change the timing it only forces the ECU to use the best gear map in all gears.
post #10 of 20 Old 09-22-2010, 09:29 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by themightymezzo View Post
I don't think the timing effects the air/fuel ratio but at the point it's burned. The air/fuel ratio is set by the PC. The timing does have an effect on at what point in the process it's actually igniting.

The TRE doesn't change the timing it only forces the ECU to use the best gear map in all gears.
It is not going to affect the amount of fuel that is mixing with the air, but it will affect how much of it is burned which will affect the reading on the sensors.

If you advance the timing it will start the burn sooner which will then give you a longer burn time which would burn off more fuel - hence getting a leaner reading. Obviously only to a point - if you advance it too much you will get a terrible burn.

Timing Retard Eliminator... it uses a map that has less retard in it. The ECU retards the ignition timing in certain spots in order to smooth out spikes in torque and power in order to make the power band more controllable. So by telling the ECU that you are in neutral all the time it does not retard the timing when it would normally which would equate to a difference in timing for what the bike is normally setup for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in