Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Crispin's Wreck Main Issue

2K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  BNninja 
#1 ·
FYI-the timing cover that was worn through on crispin and is causing him so many problems can be replaced by one from Woodcraft for $80, before sponsor discount. Crispin's misfortune is making me question if I should be riding with such weak case covers! We often spend $65 on frame sliders so this seems like a no brainer and is going on my list of things to do.

http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=12839

#6 ·
It is only the left side and I talked to woodcraft today and they told me they are running another production run for people who are using street bodywork...they asked me to pass that on.

#7 ·
Thats great news!

Are the street ones not as strong as the others b/c they're thinner??

#11 ·
Well if something good comes from my misfortune then that is a good thing.

To be honest I think I had a rare accident.

If the bike had just flopped on its side or any other type of accident this wouldn't have happened.

I think it is rare that you would take some kind of sharp trama to the engine cover.

I swideswiped another bike, how ofter does that happen?

Has anyone else broken an engine cover before?

Now I think about it I guess the answer must be yes or they wouldn't be making aftermarket covers.

I think once Woodcraft gets the fitment worked out I'll will buy some.

Much cheaper than getting the motor rebuilt!!!

#13 ·
jeech said:
If anyone gets conclusive information from Woodcraft and have verified, could you add the information to the sticky?
Woodcraft (Eric Wood) is using my bike for the fitment of the case covers with the stock plastic, as I speak. So you should know very shortly I would think.

#15 ·
miykl said:
That's the idea!

Slippin in anything aftermarket during the rebuild?
well there is not much out there right now.

Of course I am going with the high-comp Kawi head gasket

Then we are degreeing the cams to some specs that another member gave me

And I may let the guy do some grinding on the head, I first want to look at the stock head and see what my untrained eyes tell me.

I have come to find out that the guy who wants to do my head for me has both a flow bench and valve grinder at his house. He also has rebuilt airplane motors for the last 10 years.

I am thinking of letting him put a nice 5 angle on the valves (if possible) and clean out the ports and bolws a bit.

i'll post some pics of the factory setup as soon as it gets apart.

#19 ·
rocket girl said:
Woodcraft (Eric Wood) is using my bike for the fitment of the case covers with the stock plastic, as I speak. So you should know very shortly I would think.
Are you getting hooked up with freebies for your contribution?
I personally think they're a waste of money if you have frame sliders but if they were free I'd take them. They look trick!

#21 ·
I was wondering if the frame sliders and rearsets didn't contriute to the cover getting worn? Think about it the bike with those hard parts are leaned forward onto that portion of the bike which has no protection.

#22 ·
BNninja said:
I was wondering if the frame sliders and rearsets didn't contriute to the cover getting worn? Think about it the bike with those hard parts are leaned forward onto that portion of the bike which has no protection.
are you talking about my accident??

if so I dont have sliders.

Also so everyone understands the cover did not wear out, it took an impact from the pegs of the bike i swiped.

here is a picture so you can see what I mean, the gash was caused by the other bikes peg

Attachments

#23 ·
Oh, so you are going on ebay and getting some shogun sliders for $55 then, I assume?
I thought from the 100ft of sliding it had worn through...now I'm not so damn paranoid and might wait until after a track day when I finally get on the track again and lay the bike down...fingers crossed...

#24 ·
actually no

I dont like sliders and wont be installing them on my bike.

They look like training wheels to me.

All my friends have sliders and know how I feel.

I think this is funny.

When I wrecked and I got up off the ground and walked off the street.

My friends grabbed my bike and brought it over to me, as I bent down to look at my bike one of my friends yells out "bet you wish you had sliders on!!"

fugger!!!

#25 ·
I'm not a sliders fan either, personally I think i pay insurance so they will fix my bike, not me prevent it from getting damaged...then I think I would most likely want it totalled if I did go down on it so I could trade up to another type or manufacturer's bike, but in the end, the plan is not to wreck...we all know that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.