Coolant smell - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 08-01-2005, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider
 
busaforhire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: South Bend, In
Posts: 1,945
Posting Frequency
Images: 10
 
Coolant smell

I have noticed on several occasions that I can smell coolant when coming up to a stop. I notice the temp is always rather low when I notice it (155-170)so it's not like it's getting hot and I smell it. I have checked the overflow bottle and it doesn't vary much and it hasn't been overflowing. I don't feel like the bike is down on power either like I have a blown head gasket or similar. Just wondering if anyone else has had the coolant smell or if it's just me?

05 lime green. Sato slip-on, pc3usb, bmc race filter.
"when ya lose site of why ya ride then you've lost what really matters"---THE MOTORHEAD
busaforhire is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 08-01-2005, 01:14 PM
Post Whore
 
1killer1liter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In front of you!
Posts: 5,228
Posting Frequency
Images: 11
       
I've smelled the same thing, but the bike was at about 200+. I looked all over and found nothing.


I live my life a quarter-pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, im free. I need FRIESSSS! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didnt blow a seam on your nugget box.
1killer1liter is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 08-01-2005, 04:47 PM
GP Rider
 
sneaky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,486
Posting Frequency
  
I had the same prob on my 636. I finally found it where the coolant line runs into the back of the block right under the TB, The hose clamp was loose and it was leaking under pressure.

You might check there before writing it off.
sneaky is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 6 Old 08-01-2005, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider
 
busaforhire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: South Bend, In
Posts: 1,945
Posting Frequency
Images: 10
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky
I had the same prob on my 636. I finally found it where the coolant line runs into the back of the block right under the TB, The hose clamp was loose and it was leaking under pressure.

You might check there before writing it off.

ok I'll try that. whats weird is that the coolant level hasn't changed but I just occasionally get a whiff of the sweet smelling stuff. I'll have to see if it coinsides with me cornering and such or something..

05 lime green. Sato slip-on, pc3usb, bmc race filter.
"when ya lose site of why ya ride then you've lost what really matters"---THE MOTORHEAD
busaforhire is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 08-01-2005, 07:06 PM
Bloo Moderator
 
bluedevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: SAC,CA
Posts: 23,742
Posting Frequency
Images: 3
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by busaforhire
ok I'll try that. whats weird is that the coolant level hasn't changed but I just occasionally get a whiff of the sweet smelling stuff. I'll have to see if it coinsides with me cornering and such or something..

Just a suggestion, but I would put it under a pressure test at 16lbs. You can rent a pressure pump for free at Kragen's and pump 16lbs of pressure into the radiator, then check for leaks. I suspect a small leak if any at all, which may be the reason for not noticing any great, loss of coolant but maybe just some dripping when at high pressures in the coolant system.

Also, If pressure drops then don't forget to at least remove the lowers and even the middle plastics so you can detect where a leak is actually at, not just where it drips down below.
bluedevil is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 08-02-2005, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider
 
busaforhire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: South Bend, In
Posts: 1,945
Posting Frequency
Images: 10
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil
Just a suggestion, but I would put it under a pressure test at 16lbs. You can rent a pressure pump for free at Kragen's and pump 16lbs of pressure into the radiator, then check for leaks. I suspect a small leak if any at all, which may be the reason for not noticing any great, loss of coolant but maybe just some dripping when at high pressures in the coolant system.

Also, If pressure drops then don't forget to at least remove the lowers and even the middle plastics so you can detect where a leak is actually at, not just where it drips down below.

yea been there not leaking...just smelling occasionally. I'm not going to worry about it. seems to run fine and besides it's under warranty right?

05 lime green. Sato slip-on, pc3usb, bmc race filter.
"when ya lose site of why ya ride then you've lost what really matters"---THE MOTORHEAD
busaforhire is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
burning smell??? TTLex The ZX-10R 19 07-15-2005 02:19 PM
Coolant Level? RickRoush03 The ZX-10R 14 04-24-2005 09:30 PM
Coolant low after 700 miles? NWZX10 Performance and Tech 7 10-25-2004 02:34 AM
What coolant u use on ur bike? STREETFIGHTER50 The ZX-10R 17 10-16-2004 10:29 PM
Need to replace coolant with water - Tips Please! mods2come The ZX-10R 16 06-03-2004 02:15 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome