Cold stalling - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 04-12-2008, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Cold stalling

My bike has done this ever since i bought it, when i start it cold it runs fine for about a minute or 2, then the idle drops down really low and starts to die, if I give it a bit or gas its fine and as i ride everything is great.

If I raise the idle to idle properly cold, its too high when its hot. So I just set it hot and leave it that way, but its getting really annoying.

At first I thought it was the way it was mapped with the TFI box I had, but now I have swapped that out with a PC3 and it does the exact same thing....

anyone have any knowledge of this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-12-2008, 03:56 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

i have the exact same problem. i thought it was just my map in the pc3. i have a ti force full exhaust, gipro, and use the map from dynojet for that exhaust. i too would be interested in an answer.

"I'm your father, Luke!"
post #3 of 17 Old 04-12-2008, 04:10 AM
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?

Posting Frequency

im not sure what the problem is. but you could try this:

start it cold. wait till its about to die, then raise the idle up a little just enough for the bike not to die.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 04-12-2008, 05:43 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

done that, when it warms up it is idling way too fast. as soon as the water temp, about 130, shows on the gauge its ok. i have tries to set the fast idle. i have tried to fake out the water temp signal and the air temp signal. nothing seem to make any difference.

also if i allow it to stall a couple of times it fouls the plugs and won't start. this seems to indicate its too rich at idle.

i quess the next step would be to try a custom map.

"I'm your father, Luke!"
post #5 of 17 Old 04-12-2008, 09:22 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

What´s the outside temperature around there?
What engine oil are you using? May be too thick
post #6 of 17 Old 04-12-2008, 12:36 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentourismo View Post
My bike has done this ever since i bought it, when i start it cold it runs fine for about a minute or 2, then the idle drops down really low and starts to die, if I give it a bit or gas its fine and as i ride everything is great.

If I raise the idle to idle properly cold, its too high when its hot. So I just set it hot and leave it that way, but its getting really annoying.

At first I thought it was the way it was mapped with the TFI box I had, but now I have swapped that out with a PC3 and it does the exact same thing....

anyone have any knowledge of this?
Synch your throttle bodies...if you've never done it or had it done that could be the reason.

~Drain Fade
'06 Ebony Black, Supersonic Sport Tourer
A ton of shit....I want the farkles of a Gold Wing on a 150HP bike just over 400lbs ;)
Have a VFR, ZX9R or ZX10R, check out http://drainfade.com
post #7 of 17 Old 04-12-2008, 06:29 PM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

Mine does it on cold mornings, one blip of the throttle and no stallie.
post #8 of 17 Old 04-12-2008, 11:30 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

oil is mobil 1 10x40 mxt. temp can be anywhere from 30F to 70F.
i have never synced the throttles. i assume that by this you mean adjust the airflow across all 4 throttle bodies. i did set the throttle position for open-close on the PCIII.

one blip of the throttle does nothing. the only thing that works is to manually keep the rpm around 2000 till the temp comes up.

"I'm your father, Luke!"
post #9 of 17 Old 04-13-2008, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemille View Post
done that, when it warms up it is idling way too fast. as soon as the water temp, about 130, shows on the gauge its ok. i have tries to set the fast idle. i have tried to fake out the water temp signal and the air temp signal. nothing seem to make any difference.

also if i allow it to stall a couple of times it fouls the plugs and won't start. this seems to indicate its too rich at idle.

i quess the next step would be to try a custom map.
yup, sounds the exact same, i raise it up enough to keep it runnning and when it warms up its idling way to fast and i have to bump it back down. And yes, if it stalls, it takes a bit of cranking to get it going agian.

I thought it was the mapping but switching from the TFI to PC3 did absolutely nothing, so its hard to blame it on that, you think it would have made a bit of a difference...

and btw...i live in a mild climate, and i run 10w40

post #10 of 17 Old 04-13-2008, 07:57 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

i guess the next step will be to sync the throttle bodies. but, it will have to wait till after my next track run in may. i don't want to muck with the engine and screw it up so i'm not ready for may 1st.

i have change maps and have changed the map in the idle region both up and down with no effect.

if syncing the throttles fixes the problem i'll report back. any other suggestions are welcome.

"I'm your father, Luke!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in