Clutch "pusher" problems... - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 02-02-2011, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Clutch "pusher" problems...

so my '05 10R has about 9200 miles on it. out for a ride on sunday afternoon, and the clutch completly stops working. trailer it home, pretty sure its the "pusher" pin. rip the cover off today, and sure enough, the pusher is toast. the mushroom shaped end of he pusher is literally is two pieces (see pictures below). so no big deal, the pusher is like $32 and takes a few minutes to put in.

my question/concern is that this is the second time this has happened. exact same thing happened with 3200 miles. that one was covered under warranty and my dealer replaced the entire clutch assy. i'm not planning on doing all that. i just would like to know if anyone else is having this issue, or if those with more bike knowledge than me can tell me any reason this would be happeneing. i constantly have to adjust the clutch lever; the slack is always getting worse, until this finally happens. my bike has been like that since day one. i would like to know if there is anything i can do to prevent this from happeneing again. thanks guys.

this is the part of the pusher pin that sheared off:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-02-2011, 07:37 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Ouch. Is your stack height correct? Is the lever rod galled, and biting into your puller?

Stock clutch springs, or heavy? Clutch cable mis-adjusted?
post #3 of 6 Old 02-02-2011, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Not to sure what stack height means, but its all stock, and the last time it was apart it was installed by a really good tech at the dealer I use. The lever rod appears to be in good shape, no jagged edges or anything. The springs are stock.

As far as the lever adjustment, I keep it fairly tight, but there is a small amount of slack so I don't think its over adjusted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-02-2011, 11:09 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Mine did exactly the same at 13K, I always set clutch play perfectly, but as engine gets warm the slack becomes less.
Couldn't get any help or info on what causes it, just replaced affected parts { mine needed the v shaped bit that does the puling as well}
Both parts were chewed as per yours, did 2xoil & filter changes & removed a lot of small metal shards that had been flung outward leaving them {luckily} sticking to the inside of the clutch housing.
Sorry I have no answer, just empathy.
Ergo
post #5 of 6 Old 02-04-2011, 06:20 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

to fix this proplem you could buy the haysmachineworks Hyd. conversion. The only times I have seen this happen is when there is not enough free play or when the puller shaft is put in it is not lubed.

Last edited by sweetride10r; 02-04-2011 at 06:22 PM.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-04-2017, 01:54 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
It happened here as well,damn near same circumstances and mileage.I've been bustin knuckles on these bike since my first in '85.My first "repair"bought me some time, a few low mileage years due to back surgeries,I replaced the release system;both bearings in the clutch cover,numerous release levers(even hardface welded in attempts to remedy,that cause the rod to get eaten faster)the throw out bearing release rod and lever....only bought time ...this time I reall got in there,sanded grooves out of basket gear,remeasure assembly heigth,tried this...that ,then I grabbed the shaft....(giggedy)and upon pulling i noticed a substantial amount of "runout" play,like approx. .5 inches,looked at my newly replace clutch cover and behold ...fresh "what look like" milling or machined grooves where my basket had cut new grooves into the crankcase(clutch) cover!!So now I need to find out what is...or is SUPPOSED to be on the other end of the shaft..???..?? but... Unfortunately that looks to require the dreaded "Splitting of the Crankcases".........thats all i got....suggestions???advise????experience ???/anyone??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in