Clutch probs on 07 Help!!! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-16-2007, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Question Clutch probs on 07 Help!!!

Anyone help on this one? Only 7k on the bike.
At 6500 RPM around 100 MPH If I rail the gas it will pull right for a sec then jump to 10.500 or 11.000 just for a sec then drop back to where it should be, it will do this two to three times befor I hit 150 MPH, never slips comming off the line and when it locks in at the 10.5 or 11k it pulls like a rocket and never does it after it gets rolling good like 150 mph on.
Anyone? I was thinking slipper clutch, but that only works on decel from what I know about it to stop wheel hop in truns so I am lost and it runs great other then that. Am I over looking something that the bike does that I don't know about, It's like it does it to get it up to speed and the right RPM in a very fast way.
I am at a totle lose and going to take it in and have it pulled apart if I can't fig it out on here. Anyone else have this happen to them on a 2007 10R? I realy don't want to open the motor up at only 7k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-16-2007, 10:48 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Check your clutch cable, should have a little slack, should not be tight. Also have you added any oil additives recently, some additives are known to cause the clutch to slip.
Your bike has only done 7k, I would be surprised if there is anything wrong the clutch itself.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-16-2007, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Wink

I did just go full systhic not long ago with my oil. I just don't understand why it does it at such a high gear and speed and not off the line or on the lo end.
Thanks for the reply, It may be the oil, I am not sure if that would do it or not. Cable is good and lose. I made sure of that first time it did it just to be on the safe side.

Last edited by ZX_10_R_KAW; 08-16-2007 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Add on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-16-2007, 11:11 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX_10_R_KAW View Post
I did just go full systhic not long ago with my oil. I just don't understand why it does it at such a high gear and speed and not off the line or on the lo end.
Thanks for the reply, It may be the oil, I am not sure if that would do it or not. Cable is good and lose. I made sure of that first time it did it just to be on the safe side.
Ok I got it. You need to read the sticky for newbies in the ZX10R forum. There you will find a hint as to what is wrong with your clutch.
Basically, you got to drain out the full synthetic oil, rip the clutch out. Seperate the steel plates from the clutch plates and leave it over night in a bucket of non-synthetic oil. Reinstall and refill with non-synthetic oil run it like that for the next couple services and then you can go full synthetic.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-16-2007, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Talking Lmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkkninja View Post
Ok I got it. You need to read the sticky for newbies in the ZX10R forum. There you will find a hint as to what is wrong with your clutch.
Basically, you got to drain out the full synthetic oil, rip the clutch out. Seperate the steel plates from the clutch plates and leave it over night in a bucket of non-synthetic oil. Reinstall and refill with non-synthetic oil run it like that for the next couple services and then you can go full synthetic.
I would buy that but, sence I watied til I had almost 7k on it and made the dealer put in writeing that it would not hurt it or the waranty, I just can't see myself going there. Good try tho, I did read that post somewhere myself on here a while back.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-17-2007, 01:22 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Does it do it in only say the top three gears? Check slack in your clutch cable.

My race bike did the same, would be fine 1st, 2nd and 3rd but would slip 4th-6th... After adjusting the cable it was good. It must have been borderline to exhibit those traits...

The reason you probably don't notice in lower gears, is acceleration vs throttle isn't critical, whereas in the higher gears, you can really load the clutch...

Oh yeah, the reason it may not do it higher rpm is, you may be past the torque peak...

My theory...

Last edited by Nutter34; 08-17-2007 at 01:26 AM.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-17-2007, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter34 View Post
Does it do it in only say the top three gears? Check slack in your clutch cable.

My race bike did the same, would be fine 1st, 2nd and 3rd but would slip 4th-6th... After adjusting the cable it was good. It must have been borderline to exhibit those traits...

The reason you probably don't notice in lower gears, is acceleration vs throttle isn't critical, whereas in the higher gears, you can really load the clutch...

Oh yeah, the reason it may not do it higher rpm is, you may be past the torque peak...

My theory...
I'll check the cable again , but yeah, it only does it in 6th from what I can tell. Thanks for all the help, I am off to work out of town, thanks again and I'll check back on here when I get back. Have a great weekend.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-17-2007, 06:52 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to SalKhan Send a message via Yahoo to SalKhan
[Controversy]

I spoke with Amsoil about Clutch slipping and oil he sort of laughed and sighed. He said in short no... In long... Sometimes. He said it depends on oil, bike, clutch plates, clutch springs, and even riding style. But for the most it's similar in nature to when people think synthetic oil causes oil leaks - which isn't true at all. Similar because synthetic often makes a known problem more aware. Standard oil may gunk up and plug warped oil seals and O-rings. When switching to synthetic, the detergent nature of it will often clean up gunk causing oil to seep by warped seals. Keeping that in mind, synthetic could make a worn clutch problem more pronounced to rider rather than being the actual cause of the slipping. I believe Barnett also states that a synthetic oils can cause a worn clutch to fail quicker as well.

However, he has heard of cases where synthetic oil can cause clutch slipping. Which seems to corroborate a great article I found here: http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0308_oil/ not too long ago. [/Controvery]

If it were my clutch (I've never had clutch slipping problems in any of my bikes switching to synthetic at 600-1000 miles), I would pull the clutch plates out and grind the steels into some fresh concrete or rough them up using 50-100 grit sandpaper followed by a cleaning with contact cleaner. At the same time I would use New Frictions Plates and soak them in whatever oil you want to use (I believe it only needs to be 30 minutes for dry/new frictions - after that it's pointless because it cant soak in anymore oil) and then throw it all back together. Naturally use a fresh oil filter and add 3.7L (3.9Q) of oil. I personally am Partial to Amsoil (including their filters) or Castrol R4, but for no reason other than I closed my eyes and picked them off the shelf in the past, and they both have given me no problems.

As always... YMMV.

Sal Khan

http://www.thelunchjournals.com - Updated 3/8/08!

Last edited by SalKhan; 08-17-2007 at 07:06 AM.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-18-2007, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Wink SalKhan

Thank you so much for the info, I am at my beach house right now and will take a look at the links when I get back to my other house inland. I know I have said it befor but let me say it again, I can't even begin to so thank you enough to everyone on this sitefor all the help you have been to me and I hope I have helped a few of you all to. I have been on here a few years now well sence my new 04 zx10 and been though a few 10's sence then, but I have alwaysfound kind, nice ppl on here and just wated to say thank you all. Guess I need to make that post in the right place later. Lol
Thanks again Salkhan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in