Clutch Problem? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 05-26-2015, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Clutch Problem?

I have 2015 with + 2,000km

This does not happen every time i ride, and very random. Seems to happen between 3rd and 5th At High RPMs

The bike feels like it jumps out of gear but its still in the same gear. It acts like the clutch slips but sounds like jumping out of gear. Its hard for me to explain. I think it has done this 4 times now. Its so hard for me to figure if its human error or if something is wrong.

I thought the first two was just me, maybe i pulled the clutch without realizing, or maybe a bump forced my boot to tap the lever. Im very careful, but im still human. Ive really worked on my shifting techniques and trying hard to make it second nature under high rpm at high speeds.

If it continues ill have to pull the clutch and look at it, but what are the signs i should look for? Is there a common problem that happens with these clutches now and then?

I keep thinking with it so Random, it is human error. I know today my hand was off the clutch completely when it happened.
The clutch is adjusted correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-26-2015, 02:16 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to GMorrison
I am not sure though, but you can check out the clutch wire for instance. A loose wire can cause the clutch to get things weird and gears being stuck.
post #3 of 17 Old 05-26-2015, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMorrison View Post
I am not sure though, but you can check out the clutch wire for instance. A loose wire can cause the clutch to get things weird and gears being stuck.
Ok thank you, ill look that over again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 05-26-2015, 08:05 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

What have you done with clutch? Anything? What I'm asking, have you 'adjusted' the clutch or changed levers or done anything at all with clutch. One more question, and don't laugh, did you recently change the oil?
post #5 of 17 Old 05-26-2015, 09:43 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Mine does the same thing, 2012 model with about 7500 Miles on it. I have replaced my clutch and with an aftermarket one as i thought that was my issue. Pretty much replaced and checked everything and it still does it. Next stop is ripping the box out and checking for wear on the gear selection forks etc. Pretty sure its down to the internals of the gearbox.

Edit: Seeing as yours is pretty much brand new (i am out of warranty ) i would take it to your dealer and explain what is happening. Insist that it isn't user error and that it is not acceptable for a new bike to behave like this.

Last edited by A Squids Life; 05-26-2015 at 09:47 PM.
post #6 of 17 Old 05-26-2015, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
What have you done with clutch? Anything? What I'm asking, have you 'adjusted' the clutch or changed levers or done anything at all with clutch. One more question, and don't laugh, did you recently change the oil?
Nothing has been changed on the clutch. The adjustment is in spec. The oil has been changed 3 times so far. These where good questions as i forgot to mention if i modded the clutch. Which i have not, this bike is practically brand new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Squids Life View Post
Mine does the same thing, 2012 model with about 7500 Miles on it. I have replaced my clutch and with an aftermarket one as i thought that was my issue. Pretty much replaced and checked everything and it still does it. Next stop is ripping the box out and checking for wear on the gear selection forks etc. Pretty sure its down to the internals of the gearbox.

Edit: Seeing as yours is pretty much brand new (i am out of warranty ) i would take it to your dealer and explain what is happening. Insist that it isn't user error and that it is not acceptable for a new bike to behave like this.
yeah i was wondering myself if it may be in the gear box. I hope not, the problem here is i cannot trust the mechanics. They dont have a clue on how to work on bikes. They will try and recreate the problem, and that wont work as its random and in high speed/rpm range. Im not going to let a mechanic that rides a XRM 80 to 125cc underbone take out for a spin lol. Please update if you decide to tear into the box before me.
post #7 of 17 Old 05-27-2015, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I went for a ride today and tried to duplicate it, but nothing happened. I would think if it was a gear box it would be more consistent.
post #8 of 17 Old 05-28-2015, 02:37 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I can replicate my issue over and over. If i were you i would swap to GP shift. Its much easier to stomp it down solidly than click it up solidly if it is user error.
post #9 of 17 Old 05-28-2015, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Squids Life View Post
I can replicate my issue over and over. If i were you i would swap to GP shift. Its much easier to stomp it down solidly than click it up solidly if it is user error.
Your probably right, im getting ready for a QS anyway. I rather it be human error than the bike. I know things happen, but i really hate when i have something new that is not right.

Tomorrow im going for a ride, there is nice straight i can open up. Im going to run each gear through its power band. I wont have enough room to get 6th,and im not going to try 1st. I should be able to run 5th out, not sure.. Ill concentrate on each gear as i go.
post #10 of 17 Old 05-31-2015, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I was looking at my shifter today, and from other photos it looks like its bent inward some? If it is, maybe it happened during shipping. If someone could look at the pics and let me know your opinions. I measured by laying the caliper on the toe peg and letting it but against the frame. It measured 11mm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in