Gen 4: 2011-2015 Clutch issues again - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 09-01-2012, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Clutch issues again

So I guess im having clutch problems again... I just had my clutch replaced with an aftermarket one not to long ago maybe 1k miles on it iunno for sure. But after letting my bike sit for a week or so everything was fine before hand I started riding again and it seemed my clutch adjustment would change while riding and not hot to cold or cold to hot but just riding even after riding a while it would go back and forth. Some days perfectly fine other days it would be a pain in the rear.

I would have the lever pulled all the way in sometimes it would still be partly engaged sometimes it would be fine. Sometimes it was a pita to shift with the clutch other times not. But it seemed to get better after a while of riding. Like as the days went on it got better.

So my bike sat for probably three weeks now, I did a bit of racing and alot of riding the last time I rode it. Wheelies here and there everything was great holding fine.

Now I go to ride it tonight and my friction point feels way off, seems like the clutch wasn't engaging completely when I didn't have my hand on the lever. I adjusted it a little and the friction point felt alright I was able to get my play back in the lever all was well. Hard riding everything seemed to hold no problems that I noticed, but didn't try wheelies.

Later in the night no racing or anything just occasional bursts of spirited riding but when I tried to wheelie it wouldn't do it. Figured maybe tc was kicking my ass as it does that sometimes, tried a few other times and nope would just rev up hold it and come back down. Took tc off it would rev up a little longer and hold it then come down and then the bike would lift up from just power. I can't imagine it's spinning or id notice that id imagine. Even high speed runs and jolts it seemed to not slip.

Bike is lowered 1.5k" and this is ~70mph second gear. What could be the problem as it's very agitating. I don't see how it could be my clutch already again! I will try to mess with cable adjustment some more, try to figure out where it has to be to be completely engaged. Not sure if there's a guide for that?

Last edited by Johnn999; 09-01-2012 at 05:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-01-2012, 06:49 AM
Certified SLOW

Posting Frequency

Just curious, what clutches did you use? Were the steels replaced? When it is partially grabbing is it a smooth linear grab or a spotty grab?

Also, ensure that there is a small area of slack in the cable during adjustment, enough to fit a nickel between the lever when its left out. If it is tight it will be disengaged ever so slightly, which will make it heat up quicker and slip on the big end while seeming very normal under regular riding.

Best 1/4mi ET: 8.98 @ 147 (stock motor, no turbo/nitrous)
post #3 of 8 Old 09-01-2012, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I believe brocks track pack along with upgraded springs. Better of been steels and fibers haha. It seemed smooth I didn't even notice it really except there was no play at the lever so I adjusted that and it seemed to hold even under some hard riding but wheelies it would just slip or tire spin, pretty sure slip tho. I let it sit for a while, bike cooled down to like 130 degrees so it was a bit, did one drag race and stopped for maybe 5 mins turned around tried wheelies and same shit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Certified SLOW

Posting Frequency

You could try running a slightly thicker stack height. Swap out one or two steels for the next size up. I had the same issue with mine at the strip, first run of the night had no slipping but everything after that did. Couldn't figure it out for the longest, then tried bumping my stack height up a little and voila problem gone.

Best 1/4mi ET: 8.98 @ 147 (stock motor, no turbo/nitrous)
post #5 of 8 Old 09-02-2012, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

After probably 150-200 miles the clutch seems to be getting better. Not sure exactly why it doesn't make much sense. Maybe after sitting 3 weeks it all dried up? Might pull the clutch and soak em in oil or something i don't know. Kinda weird. I adjusted the clutch at the bottom out alot aswell.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-12-2012, 04:36 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

I have a stock clutch, and I too have this problem. I would really like to know the solution.

At random I get a quite a lot of slack sometimes. From regular 2-3mm to probably 10-15mm. It seems to go away just as randomly.

Bike is pretty much stock, and only has about 1500-2000miles on it.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-16-2012, 05:55 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to barnes
Same problem here and on a few mates bikes, one guy has replaced the clutch cable as this can be the only problem with the ever changing free play at the lever. i will advise if this has fixed anything ASAP.

Design by a genius, Built by a craftsman, Ridden by a twat....

“See God. Then back off” Kevin Schwantz on his late braking technique.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-17-2012, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks chief. I've already replaced the clutch and springs so that definitely isn't it. Kind of hard for a shop to diagnose the issue because it's rather random. I refuse to take it to dealerships around here even tho I have warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in