Gen 4: 2011-2015 Clutch holder absolutely necessary? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By PatrickG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 08-24-2014, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Clutch holder absolutely necessary?

My bike has just over 4,000 miles on it and the clutch is slipping to where its unsafe to ride. I've already tried adjusting the clutch cable and no luck. I downloaded the service manual for a 2011 in another thread and the manual states that I need a "clutch holder". Is this tool really necessary? Is there anyone here that has an extra one that I can buy if I need one? I'm having problems finding a clutch cover gasket online. Can I just use Grey RTV to install the clutch cover or do I need to find a gasket for the housing? The clutch repair kit I purchased was the EBC SRK complete clutch kit. My riding style consists of numerous highway pulls (rpm's up then dump the clutch), rolling burnouts and several 9 second passes in the quarter mile at the track.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-24-2014, 11:16 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Clutch holder absolutely necessary?

It is if you plan to remove the inner basket. If you're just replacing the drive and friction plates, then no. But Motion Pro makes one for about $30.

Get a new gasket. Don't half ass it and try to use the silicone. If you're gonna do the job yourself, do it right.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #3 of 6 Old 08-24-2014, 11:16 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastermind View Post
My bike has just over 4,000 miles on it and the clutch is slipping to where its unsafe to ride. I've already tried adjusting the clutch cable and no luck. I downloaded the service manual for a 2011 in another thread and the manual states that I need a "clutch holder". Is this tool really necessary? Is there anyone here that has an extra one that I can buy if I need one? I'm having problems finding a clutch cover gasket online. Can I just use Grey RTV to install the clutch cover or do I need to find a gasket for the housing? The clutch repair kit I purchased was the EBC SRK complete clutch kit. My riding style consists of numerous highway pulls (rpm's up then dump the clutch), rolling burnouts and several 9 second passes in the quarter mile at the track.
You only need a clutch holder if your removing the inner hub, and so no, not needed if just replacing the fibers and or steels.

You should be able to re-use the stock gasket.

Watch this Brocks video. It shows how to remove the inner hub without a clutch holder if you have an impact wrench, otherwise you need a clutch holder if removing inner hub with just a wrench. Good luck with that.

Sounds like you DONT NEED TO REMOVE the inner hub doing what your going to do, so no, you don't need the holder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eryt...PVGtst3PN_MXug

Last edited by Boxtradamus; 08-24-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-24-2014, 12:54 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

+2 on above.
The gen4 gasket can be reused with NO issues. The oil level is below the cover so it is only splashed again the cover. Unlike the previous Generations which sat in oil and may eventually leak if you reused the cover gasket.
Personally, I have reused my stock gen4 clutch cover gasket for 2 years of dragracing, this means taking the clutch apart every weekend from March til Oct. This is only my experience though.
dudewhrsmybike likes this.

2005 ZX-10R Akrapovic Ti Evo 2 w/CF LOR can, PC3 with custom map, Factory Pro velocity stacks

2009 ZX-10r Full Gen4 Brock's SS exhaust with CF 14" can, PC3, Secondary Butterflies Removed, Kawasaki Race Exhaust Cam, My Own TRE, Degreed Cams 109/108

2011 zx10r Lower'd 2" Frt & Rear, Stretched 8", Graves CF slipon, GUHL Flashed ECU
post #5 of 6 Old 08-24-2014, 02:44 PM
ZX-10R enthusiast

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickG View Post
+2 on above.
The gen4 gasket can be reused with NO issues. The oil level is below the cover so it is only splashed again the cover. Unlike the previous Generations which sat in oil and may eventually leak if you reused the cover gasket.
Personally, I have reused my stock gen4 clutch cover gasket for 2 years of dragracing, this means taking the clutch apart every weekend from March til Oct. This is only my experience though.
I reused mine as well. Good point about the oil on the Gen4 and previous Gen's

Strictly for my Ninjas
https://www.instagram.com/mistr.123/
Current Ride: 2016 ZX-10R ABS (under construction)
Former Ride: 2011 ZX-10R ABS
17/41, Woolich Racing Tuned ECU and QS, Rifleman's 1/5th throttle insert, CL XBK5 pads, Yosh case sliders, Mivv Carbon w/ Ti Akra link
post #6 of 6 Old 08-25-2014, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

I appreciate all the input guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
clutch tool gasket rtv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in