checking/adjusting valves ourselves? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 12-22-2008, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

checking/adjusting valves ourselves?

I was thinking about doing a valves job on my 14000miles 06 zx10(did 3 trackdays"beginner" and the rest is street)the bike feels ok,good power, I don't hear the valves ticking or anything it's just because if you look in the manual I'm suppose to have a valves job.is it too soon for a valves job?
is it really complicated to check/adjust the valve yourself?who are doing it themselves?
I prefer doing the mechanical myself,I never trust any stealership.when you do it yourself you know it's done right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-22-2008, 04:26 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by limegreenbloodz View Post
I was thinking about doing a valves job on my 14000miles 06 zx10(did 3 trackdays"beginner" and the rest is street)the bike feels ok,good power, I don't hear the valves ticking or anything it's just because if you look in the manual I'm suppose to have a valves job.is it too soon for a valves job?
is it really complicated to check/adjust the valve yourself?who are doing it themselves?
I prefer doing the mechanical myself,I never trust any stealership.when you do it yourself you know it's done right.
there been a few threads about this. use the search button and you have to track them down. a lot of people here have done there own.

Rain. Whats is this Rain i keep hearing?.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-22-2008, 05:21 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I'm with ya on not letting the dealership do any work. I'll buy whatever tools I need to do whatever work I do. It's a good investment and like you say, at least it's done correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 12-22-2008, 05:52 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Nothing difficult, more attention to detail than anything. I would suggest a set of true valve type feeler gauges. These are the ones that have a little handle on each gauge. They make it much easier to get an accurate reading than a standard feeler gauge that tends to twist and bind. Also a good time to pick up an inch pound torque wrench if you don't already have one. The cheapo version is fine for the DIYer.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-22-2008, 09:29 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

...+1

It's a lot of parts to remove, but it's all simple stuff. BTW, you won't ever hear valves get tight, which is what they usually do on the first check. If they get tight enough you'll eventally burn a seat, and by the time you notice it will be too late. It's really worth the effort to check them on schedule.

Cheers

Attack life... it's going to kill you anyway.
post #6 of 12 Old 12-22-2008, 10:06 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

umm yeah, i wouldnt reccomend you do this by yourself unless you are entirely confident in what you are doing. I mean anyone can stick a feeler guage under a cam and measure tolerance, but if it comes down to auctually replacing a shim, then you are in for alot of work. If you get a valve (out of the 16) that is out of tolerance, then you have to take your camchain tensioner out, find a way to hold your cam chain in so that it dosent fall into your case, and then take your cams out, and be able to put them back in without changing the position that they were in even a single degree. Oh adn btw, make sure you are in TDC, and that you have a new valve cover gasket. Im telling you I do valves all the time man, its a rough job.

post #7 of 12 Old 12-22-2008, 10:09 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to Mick1313

Im about to do my valves on my 04 zx10 and just invest in good feeler gauges and that torque wrench hands down, cause your gonna need it thats for sure, im adjusting mine at 10kmiles im at 9700 now so a couple of more gas tanks and everythings coming off and time for some new royal purp along with that those new valve shims.
Oh BTW you can mix and match up your valve shims and then just buy the ones you need, so save some extra money just my .02 cents
post #8 of 12 Old 12-23-2008, 10:08 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Hey guys, does anyone have a link to where I can find a "good" set of feeler gauges online? I have shopped all the usual spots and the gauges are all too wide. seems to me they are set up for automotive.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-23-2008, 10:19 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to ol_dog_big_balls
If you got the know how go for it. It is not hard, just pay attention.

You always have the experience 3 seconds after you really needed it.
post #10 of 12 Old 12-23-2008, 12:48 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman69 View Post
Hey guys, does anyone have a link to where I can find a "good" set of feeler gauges online? I have shopped all the usual spots and the gauges are all too wide. seems to me they are set up for automotive.
Try motion pro. Seems like I recall them making a set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in