Change in handling??? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 05-29-2007, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Change in handling???

To install the mount for my new Vaypor V2, I had to loosen the clamp bolts holding my fork tubes in the triple tree and slide the fork tube up so that 4mm of the fork tube is extended out of the triple tree. I got out my copy of "Sus[pension For Mortals" It says, " will make the bike steer faster , but be less stable. Moving the nose of the bike higher...... will require more steering effort and increase stability" So...................

The question is, has anyone out there moved the nose of their 10 down? If so, by how much and what kind of difference did it make? My bike is dead stock with no other changes in the suspension. I can move the forks back down in the clamps and try another way to mount the V2, but this seemed to be the best way to mount it. Needles to say, it would be stupid of me to get a great spot to mount the V2 only to crash immediately because I made the bike too twitchy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-29-2007, 07:02 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Yes raising the tubes will require less effort to transition turn/steer side to side etc but the 4mm you speak of is pretty much the norm for guys into twisties, trackdays, and racing so have no fear of much loss of stability if any from this change.

Mine was set @ 5mm including the cap and no issues at all, however i must say my wheelbase was extended some 19-20mm with a 112L chain which would add stability and slow transition.

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-29-2007, 09:34 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I lowered my '04 to 6mm total if I remember correctly (it has been 3+ years) and I have never had stability issues but I always checked, tightened and aligned any other areas that could introduce stabilty issues. I never had a steering stabilizer until a month ago when I got a Scotts for cheap off of a re-po bike.

Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-29-2007, 10:17 PM

Posting Frequency

I have mine at 5mm for quicker turning. I had it at 8mm and loved the response, but the bike wanted to wander in sweepers. At 5mm everything is peachy for me. I do have a scotts, but don't think you will have any negative affects (only good ones!) without one if this is your only susupension mod. BTW even at 10mm the bike isn't really twitchy and does it ever flick, just not the right set-up for me.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-29-2007, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

I've been back on my 10 for 2-300 miles of twisties since raising my fork tubes 5mm out of the triple tree. You said that the bike would be a little quicker to fall into turns, but that it wouldn't be too noticeable. You were exactly right. At low speeds, it feels just a little hinged in the middle, but over 25 or so, it drops noticeably more easily into turns. It isn't a huge difference, but noticeable. I'm doing the 2 day school next week at Penguin Racing in Loudon, so we'll see how much it is noticed there. After the school, I'll post pictures of the Vaypor install and let you know how the lap timer works.

The gear indicator works great, the indicated speed is very accurate as measured by the mile markers on the highway. ( my 10's speedo reads 10% high ) and the lap timer seems to work very well.

Thanks for your advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in