chain wear with quickshifter - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 08-30-2012, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

chain wear with quickshifter

hi guys i put a homemade quickshifter on my gen 1 but wondering if anybody has issues with having to adjust your chain alot more frequently when using a quickshifter?
im not sure if a genuine qs will do this to but through gears it tends to be jerky when i shift. think its strain on the chain. anybody had this issue?
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-30-2012, 07:23 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Never had any issues with the HM quickshifter I had. Not sure what set up you're running so can't comment on that!
post #3 of 12 Old 08-30-2012, 08:04 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

You surely shift in the high rpm, so you strength up the chain, it should stop, soon. Happen when the chain are new but it stop after 1000 miles, if not there's a problem.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 08-30-2012, 08:34 AM
Slow Poke

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by seddo View Post
hi guys i put a homemade quickshifter on my gen 1 but wondering if anybody has issues with having to adjust your chain alot more frequently when using a quickshifter?
im not sure if a genuine qs will do this to but through gears it tends to be jerky when i shift. think its strain on the chain. anybody had this issue?
thanks
Depending on kill time and how your using your quick shifter. Really quick shifters are made to be used in racing applications. So if your just cruising and use your quick shifter it will be a little rough when compared to full throttle use. As for a chain mine has never really caused anymore stretch than normal

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
post #5 of 12 Old 08-30-2012, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

i dont tend to use it for high rpm. after riding for few hours of using clutch ive got a pain in me arm were i just cant use the clutch as much as the day goes so was hoping the qs would come into place an help me out. ive set it to work at 3k rpm but ive noticed after a ride out my chain needs adjusting. my kill time is set at 80 kps
post #6 of 12 Old 08-30-2012, 10:09 AM
Slow Poke

Posting Frequency

Quote:
i dont tend to use it for high rpm. after riding for few hours of using clutch ive got a pain in me arm were i just cant use the clutch as much as the day goes so was hoping the qs would come into place an help me out. ive set it to work at 3k rpm but ive noticed after a ride out my chain needs adjusting. my kill time is set at 80 kps
80 is a little slow and will jerk more with less throttle. Try setting it at 60-65 and see if it's better. I have mine set at 55 right now. You really don't wanna use it between 1st and 2nd because it won't take long to wear the dogs off your gear and that makes it a pain in the ass. Just use it from 2nd and up and it'll be good.

post #7 of 12 Old 08-30-2012, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

i just dont know whether to remove this as i seem to have to put pressure on the gearbox before the qs comes into action. sometimes its been stuck between the gears. how have you made your qs?
post #8 of 12 Old 08-30-2012, 01:29 PM
Slow Poke

Posting Frequency

Quote:
i just dont know whether to remove this as i seem to have to put pressure on the gearbox before the qs comes into action. sometimes its been stuck between the gears. how have you made your qs?
I have mine setup on a button that I push with my thumb. I do still preload my shifter with my foot but don't put I much pressure on it. You will still have to put pressure on your shifter to shift. When you put pressure on your shifter it's still on a take a split second before it kills your spark/fuel before it shifts. If tht makes any sense

post #9 of 12 Old 08-31-2012, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I was just unsure if everybody has to put pressure on the gearbox before the qs comes to work. I will go about changin kill time an see how it works next. Would a longer kill time reduce the chance of being stuck in between gears? Seem to get caught in between now an then
post #10 of 12 Old 08-31-2012, 08:58 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmagma10 View Post
I have mine setup on a button that I push with my thumb. I do still preload my shifter with my foot but don't put I much pressure on it. You will still have to put pressure on your shifter to shift. When you put pressure on your shifter it's still on a take a split second before it kills your spark/fuel before it shifts. If tht makes any sense

Seems like it would be easier to clutchless shift by slightly letting off the throttle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in