Chain or sprocket??? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 06-12-2010, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Chain or sprocket???

Alright first off i have the 05 10r and i have the clicking issue coming from the front sprocket???? Y??? I done the whole putting it in 5th and rolling it back and popping the clutch thing and it didnt work......

My chain is keeps coming lose and i tighten it back up and i ride for ir for maybe a block and its lse again but the notches on the swingarm hasnt moved.

Do the notches have to be set on a notch and if so which 1 should it be set at...... Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-12-2010, 08:24 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

How many Miles on the chain? My friends CBR 1000 was doing that and he had to replace the chain.

2004 ZX-10R - Powder coated Kawasaki green wheels, attack performance bars, PC III, Ivans GRE, vortex front sprocket, vortex cat 5 black rear sprocket, vortex rear sets, RK 525 green chain, galfer ss brake lines, custom frame sliders & and swing arm spools, BMC air filter, Scorpion street extreme exhaust, DB screen, Green integrated tail light kit, OEM seat cowl, speedohealer v4, Factory Pro velocity stacks.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-12-2010, 08:26 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

There's probably a kink in your chain, it did a clicking sound on my black 10, it happened to be the chain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-12-2010, 08:32 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

do you now how to check for proper slack in the chain?

http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/chain.php check out the link

The notches in the swingarm are just a point of reference for you so you can tell it the axle has slid and how much the chain has stretched. One way to tell if your chain is done. is see if there is slack on the rear of sprocket. If it is loose even when rapping around then it is time for a new chain and sprockets.

War is about killing people and breaking things. It ain't the olympics. Its not supposed to be fair. Tom Clancy

ialsodontknowwhynewpeoplecantseperatetheirthoghtss owecanreadthemitmakesitunweidlyandannoyingtryingto decipherwhattheyaretryingtosaysoiusuallyjustmoveon atleastyouusedpuncuationthoughsocongratsonthatbutm aybeinthefutureyoucanhelpusalloutbecauseyouoranyon eelsewillgetmorerepliesifyoudontwriteonebigrunonth atsimpossibletoread
post #5 of 12 Old 06-13-2010, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Hey thanks that was a great link about chain replacement i believe thats my next step......

But still could the notches on the swing have to match the notches on the adjustment block itself???
post #6 of 12 Old 06-13-2010, 08:35 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

I had the same problem with tightening my chain and having it loosen up right away and it ended up being a bad chain.

post #7 of 12 Old 06-13-2010, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Ok so what do you think about going with the 520 link chain or should i stick to the 525???
post #8 of 12 Old 06-13-2010, 03:39 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

The 520 is cheaper. A sponsor has a deal going err... did. good xring chain, and steel sprockets for 170. The rule of thumb is that the 520 will stretch a little faster than a 525 or 530 but is lighter so it is takes less power to turn. There are people that get 20K out of a 520 chain. It is all about maintains. No the pointer does not have to line up the hash makers on the on the swingarm. They are just a reference at to how much you moved the rear wheel and how much adjustment you have left. Adjust the chain so the tension is with spec tighten the wheel back down.

these are the marks you are talking about. correct?the marks on swingarm below the adjuster.

War is about killing people and breaking things. It ain't the olympics. Its not supposed to be fair. Tom Clancy

ialsodontknowwhynewpeoplecantseperatetheirthoghtss owecanreadthemitmakesitunweidlyandannoyingtryingto decipherwhattheyaretryingtosaysoiusuallyjustmoveon atleastyouusedpuncuationthoughsocongratsonthatbutm aybeinthefutureyoucanhelpusalloutbecauseyouoranyon eelsewillgetmorerepliesifyoudontwriteonebigrunonth atsimpossibletoread

Last edited by sam_b03; 06-13-2010 at 03:41 PM.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-13-2010, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Sam _b03 you are the man, i thought marks had to match but i will be switching to the 520 since i dont have to order 1, i can go to my local bike shop and they have plenty of them in stock.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-13-2010, 11:58 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

If you switch to a 520 chain you have change the spockets too. 520 & 525 sprockets are different.

08 ZX-10r Lime Green | Full Akra | BMC street filter | Bazzaz Z-Fi W/map switch, Bazzaz Z-AFM | Secondary's Removed | GPR V4K | Scorpio i-900 | Wood Craft sliders | Roadlok disklock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in