Chain Replacement...Help? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 02-04-2008, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Chain Replacement...Help?

I just got a set of new sprockets and chain and its time to change them out. The dealership is charging more than I want to pay so Im gonna do it myself. Everything seems pretty straight forward except... How do I take the stock chain off. I looked and didnt see a masterlink, however, I was looking at night and not very closely Is the only way to take it off with a chain breaker? Also, I will take any advice you may have regarding a chain / sprocket replacement. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-04-2008, 12:47 PM
La Flama Blanca

Posting Frequency

Best to just cut it off with a cut off wheel, it will have a masterlink but it will be a riveted type, you will know it cause it will look a little different than all the other links, you would have to grind away the heads of the rivvets anyway, to be able to use the chain tool properly, make sure when you use your new chain you have a rivet type masterlink, thats a whole lot of HP to not use a rivet type, I recoment the Motion Pro heavy duty chain tool.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-04-2008, 12:49 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
The stock chain is endless, meaning there is no master link installed. You'll have to use a chain breaker or a grinder to cut the stock chain. The chain breaker is the best way because the they usually come in a kit that includes a rivet tool for your new chain. But they are anywhere from $70-$130 for such a kit. The grinder can be used to grind one of the side pins off so you can press it out and remove the chain, or cut right through the side plates.

The new chain is installed easily enough, but the master link should be riveted on and not use the spring clip. This will require the use of a riveting tool, or you'll have to take it to the shop anyway.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-04-2008, 01:10 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Use a Dremel to cut off the chain...use a rivet master link for the best option but you could use the clip type if you're strapped and don't have the right tools.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-04-2008, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Hmm, well if I will probably need a chain breaker anyways for the rivet for the enw chain then maybe Ill take it to the shop and let them deal with it.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

and i know its not the best, but i use clip master links, i did on my 01 TL with a 530 chain and never had a problem, using one on my 10 now and works just fine
post #7 of 10 Old 02-04-2008, 01:43 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTITANIUM View Post
and i know its not the best, but i use clip master links, i did on my 01 TL with a 530 chain and never had a problem, using one on my 10 now and works just fine
It's really not a problem from a strength aspect. The clip is only there to prevent the side plate from coming off, and the side plate is what carriers the load of the chain. The problem is that the clip can be easily thrown off the chain as it goes around the sprockets. I've had this happen on numerous ocassions on my ZX-7R. Once this happens, the side plate is free to come off as well.

I think you and I both have been lucky so far to not have a clip-type chain come apart, but I certainly feel much more confident in the rivet type link staying put under the power of my -10R.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #8 of 10 Old 02-04-2008, 01:47 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

very well said my friend

when i first saw the little clip i thought wtf?? this little thing holds the chain??? it also makes removing and adding links a breeze
post #9 of 10 Old 02-04-2008, 07:41 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to axo250
Clips will generally hold. However I have seen them come off. If you don't plan on stretching your bike or anything I'd put a rivet link back in it. Its always safer.

As far as doing the job. A grinding wheel really is the best method to get the old one off. I like using it over a chain break. Then just get the right tool to spread that rivet back out on the new one. Also on your new chain, clean that white wax off of it with a chain cleaner or kerosene and then lube er up really good. You will have to adjust your chain very regularly at first and then it should get to where you don't have to do it much. That's the great thing about an aftermarket chain.

Last edited by axo250; 02-04-2008 at 07:43 PM.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-04-2008, 07:53 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

IF you use a clip type masterlink, put some silicone on it, helps keep it in place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in