Gen 1: 2004-2005 chain length question - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 07-08-2012, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

chain length question

I am planning to replace the chain on my 10r and thinking about putting +2 sprocket on the rear while keeping the stock one on the front.

My question would be whether the stock length (110) chain will fit that or I need a longer (112) link chain?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-08-2012, 12:38 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

Either will work. Do you want wheelies, or do you want the bike to take off for the horizon?

Stock chain length will shorten wheelbase a little. That plus the extra gearing will make wheelies easier. Longer chain will help keep the front end down.

I've found that the Gen 1 can use the extra stability from a bit more wheelbase.

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #3 of 20 Old 07-08-2012, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

The current setup on the bike that I bought it with is -1/+3. It is probably a little bit more than what I want/need. :)

Most of the time I am using the bike on street and 1-2 track days per month. I am not a person who wants to do wheelies so that is definitely not the goal. The reason why I thought about the +2 rear instead of the stock ratio is to get better acceleration while still keeping the bike streetable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 07-08-2012, 01:57 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Stock chain will fit.

post #5 of 20 Old 07-08-2012, 04:45 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

It may fit, it may not. I could not get a 41 tooth to fit on stock chain and front sprocket on my Gen 1 though. It pulled it too far forward.

Edit: That was also after 15k miles

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
post #6 of 20 Old 07-08-2012, 05:18 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Op- View Post
It may fit, it may not. I could not get a 41 tooth to fit on stock chain and front sprocket on my Gen 1 though. It pulled it too far forward.

Edit: That was also after 15k miles
i tried a +2 on the rear with -1 on the front on my stock chain and it wouldnt fit so i had to go with 112 links to make it fit and it moved the axel back lil bit which was nice also.

05 ZX-10R SWB.
post #7 of 20 Old 07-09-2012, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx racer View Post
i tried a +2 on the rear with -1 on the front on my stock chain and it wouldnt fit so i had to go with 112 links to make it fit and it moved the axel back lil bit which was nice also.
Do you know how much the rear axle will move back with the longer 112 link chain?
post #8 of 20 Old 07-09-2012, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

In the meantime I called the shop I will order the chain from and currently they do not have the sprocket combination I was looking for, so instead of the +2 rear I am going with -1 on the front while keeping the stock 39 teeth rear sprocket.

With -1 on the front, the stock 110 length chain should fit without any trouble, am I right?
post #9 of 20 Old 07-09-2012, 08:18 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by giszo View Post
Do you know how much the rear axle will move back with the longer 112 link chain?
with -1 +2 @112 links it moved the axel 3/4 back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giszo View Post
In the meantime I called the shop I will order the chain from and currently they do not have the sprocket combination I was looking for, so instead of the +2 rear I am going with -1 on the front while keeping the stock 39 teeth rear sprocket.

With -1 on the front, the stock 110 length chain should fit without any trouble, am I right?
you be fine with -1 stock rear with 110 links.

05 ZX-10R SWB.
post #10 of 20 Old 07-09-2012, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks to all of you!

I will have the new chain and sprocket set tomorrow and hopefully I will have time to change it on the weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in