remove chain, soak it in kerosene once a year? 4 4.55%
other 34 38.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 Old 08-03-2007, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Chain Cleaning, How do you do it?

I work with a guy who I have been discussing chain cleaning with. He is sold by the fact of taking it off every year and letting it soak in kerosene. He tells me brushing the chain is horrible and tears up the o-rings and forces dirt, etc. down in there.

I used to use chain wax for my chain but dealers have taken it off the shelves around here because they said it sucks. Now I tried some other stuff can't think of what it is which seems to work ok.

Anyway I use this Motul Chain clean and the "grunge" brush to do my cleaning. I spray it off and scrub it and then spray it off again.

I've read using a nylon brush for the chain is fine but I'm wondering if anyone else does it the same way I do and do they end up with any chain problems?

Is it possible using the grunge brush can actually be bad for the chain? I don't use super force when cleaning just light scrubbing to get the crap off and then spray it off again.

I just want to see how many people use the brush compared to soaking it in kerosene or other ways people do it. I know soaking it in kerosene works but he seems to think scrubbing is horrible and just tears the chain up.

I was going to set this up as a poll but not sure how to do it.

Any way any info on this would be great...I would love to prove him wrong.

"You can't trust anyone, not even your own asshole; sometimes you think you're gonna fart and you sh*t."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 08-03-2007, 09:20 AM
Hillbillie Mod

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to hillcountry10r
I just spray a bunch of wd-40 on it to remove the junk and dirt collected, and I am sure to do this when the chain is hot. I run a rag over it when she's up on the stand running in first gear and rub off the wd-40 and grime.

then when my rag is pretty clean, I apply some chain lube of somesort, still when the chains hot, then wipe off the excess.

no brush, and no kerosene...seems like both could mess up your o rings.

For every species of beasts and birds, of reptiles and creatures of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by the human race. But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil full of deadly poison.
James 3:7,8

post #3 of 47 Old 08-03-2007, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Thanks for the poll.

Didn't someone just post something up about that dude that got his fingers cut off by having the bike in hear and using a rag???

I read somewhere they say WD-40 isn't good for the O-rings because it displaces grease or something. Maybe they're wrong?!?!

"You can't trust anyone, not even your own asshole; sometimes you think you're gonna fart and you sh*t."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 Old 08-03-2007, 09:42 AM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

Fuel on a rag and a good wipe down , and then a generous blast of chain lube so the excess lube washes the dirt particles out and onto a rag on the floor, let it sit overnight then wipe off the excess. My original sprockets are like new with 15,000 miles on them , the chain was still useable but after 15,000 I changed it anyway (only had 2 notches of adjustment on it)

Lubed once a week on a Friday night.
post #5 of 47 Old 08-03-2007, 09:53 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Rub Kerosene/paraffin into the links individually with an old toothbrush and dry off with a decent cloth. Then lube with a quality product, I'm using Wurth dry chain lube at the moment, it dries instantly and there's hardly any fling. If the O rings didn't like greasy substances they would hold the grease in, would they? So WD40 or Kerosene would seem good ways of cleaning.

I got 22,000 miles out of my oem chain and sprockets on my old R1 so I must be doing something right. My 636 is currently on 17,000 and is on it's original chain and sprockets with no signs of wear.
post #6 of 47 Old 08-03-2007, 10:04 AM

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_uk View Post
Rub Kerosene/paraffin into the links individually with an old toothbrush and dry off with a decent cloth. Then lube with a quality product, I'm using Wurth dry chain lube at the moment, it dries instantly and there's hardly any fling. If the O rings didn't like greasy substances they would hold the grease in, would they? So WD40 or Kerosene would seem good ways of cleaning.

I got 22,000 miles out of my oem chain and sprockets on my old R1 so I must be doing something right. My 636 is currently on 17,000 and is on it's original chain and sprockets with no signs of wear.

Worth dry is the biz, i'm luvin it.
post #7 of 47 Old 08-03-2007, 10:11 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to ibescott Send a message via Yahoo to ibescott
i don't think how you clean it is as important as how often you clean it. As long as you take care of it, it will last a while.

https://www.facebook.com/scott.d.barraclough
2005 PBO ZX10
2002 Blue Honda Goldwing
Sold 2004 Blue ZX10
Sold 2006 Blue ZX14
post #8 of 47 Old 08-03-2007, 10:20 AM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAF View Post
Fuel on a rag and a good wipe down , and then a generous blast of chain lube so the excess lube washes the dirt particles out and onto a rag on the floor, let it sit overnight then wipe off the excess.
Pretty much my method of care.

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
post #9 of 47 Old 08-03-2007, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I'll have to look for that article about the WD-40. Was a pretty interesting read. Yeah I clean mine a fair amount but he seems to think the brush is going to destroy the chain.

I wouldn't think they'd still be in business if it tore up all the chains that people use it on.

post #10 of 47 Old 08-03-2007, 11:18 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountry10r View Post
I just spray a bunch of wd-40 on it to remove the junk and dirt collected, and I am sure to do this when the chain is hot. I run a rag over it when she's up on the stand running in first gear and rub off the wd-40 and grime.

then when my rag is pretty clean, I apply some chain lube of somesort, still when the chains hot, then wipe off the excess.

no brush, and no kerosene...seems like both could mess up your o rings.

old man ran off on his wheelchair

theazzman.com (my blog)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in