Gen 3: 2008-2010 chain came off when attempting a clutch wheelie...??? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 05-12-2012, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

chain came off when attempting a clutch wheelie...???

Ok so ive noticed when I do clutch up wheelies every now and then it would sound like a slight clink when I let out the clutch and it grabs wasn't sure if that was normal sounds of the clutch till now...I went to attempt a 4th gear clutch up and I got a clunk and the chain came off??!?! I pulled over and was able to easily roll the bike back on the chain and I'm thinking to myself this can't be right...how much chain slack an I supposed to have? With the bike at rest I can lift the lowers hanging point of the chain like 4 inches with my finger!! Is this normal? Also while down there I noticed my rear sprocket looks to be really close to my swingarm like the bolts/nuts on the sprocket actually look like they have been cumming into contact with my swingarm as there is a wear spot and even on my chain guard there's a wear spot from the chain that must be coming close... I took pic with my phone but don't know how to post them in here they're too big...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 05-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Your chain is not supposed to have more than 1 1/2 in slack at the most. How many miles on your bike and how often did you clean/ adjust the chain?
post #3 of 39 Old 05-12-2012, 12:51 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Pictures of sprocket? And chain is WAY too loose. Tighten ASAP!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 05-12-2012, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

I'm the second owner bought it with 4k now has 6k I had just cleaned the chain a few weeks ago but Im thinking it had this slack when I bought it but ya how do I post pics from my phone?? There looks to be a 1/4 inch gap between the actual rim and whatever it is the sprocket bolts to. If this is supposed to be inside of the wheel rather than sticking out a 1/4 inch then this may ne why my sprocket and chain are so rubbing
post #5 of 39 Old 05-12-2012, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

ok so i took off the wheel and the carrier just popped right off with no effort at all...im thinking it was pressed on all the way which was causing the 1/4 inch offset to the left ide making contact with my swingarm..anyways can some one please post up picture of what the spacers are supposed to look like on the carrier? i dont think this bike has the prober spacers or something is just wrong here..
post #6 of 39 Old 05-12-2012, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

i didnt realize how bad it was till i removed the wheel...i remember hearing a knocking at one point a while back and then it went away. must have been the bolts chewing away at the swingarm. also in the 1t and 2nd pic you can see the 1/4" gap of the carrier to the wheel

Last edited by C Murda; 05-12-2012 at 03:32 PM.
post #7 of 39 Old 05-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Boomer Sooner!

Posting Frequency

I don't really know a lot about that stuff, but I know that's not how it's supposed to look and I wouldn't be riding untill you get that fixed.
post #8 of 39 Old 05-12-2012, 05:00 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Yeah...it looks like you're missing a spacer for sure, if not more(hard to tell from the pic)...here's the schematic http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...48912sch582411 look at it and see what you're missing exactly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DamnFriday.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	161435  

Last edited by mreyna75; 05-12-2012 at 05:12 PM. Reason: ..
post #9 of 39 Old 05-12-2012, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

ok ive go the spacers and i think all those parts...it had just looked as if something was moved inwards too much of the carrier or im missing an "oil seal" on the chain side which i cant really tell what its supposed to look like all assembled :( either way i just bought a used complete carrier with sprocket off ebay for $35 cant loose there except for time!
post #10 of 39 Old 05-12-2012, 09:20 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

lol at the metal shavings all over the wheel...you should have 3 total spacers one on each side of the wheel and then the one for the rear brake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in