Cat and engine management question - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 Old 01-19-2015, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Cat and engine management question

New here and got a somewhat noob question.

I've always been told that engine management and tunes are not necessary if you still have the OEM cat and just a slip-on.

But my research here and on other sites is giving conflicting advice. Some say a tune is ALWAYS needed.

Regardless, I'm looking at getting a 2012 ZX-10R that has less than 4,000 miles on it. The bike has a generic slash cut-tip slip-on.

The owner says it still has a cat, but I'm not so sure. I'm also not sure if its been tuned properly.

I can get the bike for a great price. Wondering if I should risk it and buy it, and just get a name-brand slipon and a professional tune after.

I'm just worried that possible engine damage has already occurred to the motor with so few miles on the odometer.

Here's a picture of the bike.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 01-19-2015, 08:55 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

sorry exhaust, but no damage to engine as a result. seriously doubt that anyone that installs that considers tuning.
post #3 of 53 Old 01-19-2015, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazx10 View Post
sorry exhaust, but no damage to engine as a result. seriously doubt that anyone that installs that considers tuning.
Hmmmm. So you're saying I should go ahead and get the bike? lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 Old 01-19-2015, 09:09 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazx10 View Post
The engine should be fine the stock electronic's have enough range to compensate for that exhaust.
post #5 of 53 Old 01-19-2015, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechX View Post
The engine should be fine the stock electronic's have enough range to compensate for that exhaust.
Thanks. I've been researching all morning on here and other kawi sites.

Some say the cat is in the boom box. Others say its in the headers right before the boom box that's been removed on the box.

My state doesn't require emissions testing, luckily. I'd probably get a Graves, Akro or Yoshi slip on. Just wondering where I could get the ECU reflashed.

I live in southeastern NC, which isn't the mecca of sportsbike tuners. lol.

I knew a guy who did them but he's since left his former company. *sigh*

I've also read that these bikes don't really require a PCV or Bazazz with just a slip-on. This is like researching a science project.
post #6 of 53 Old 01-19-2015, 10:12 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

You might try ZX10Archer on this site he has flashed a lot of people's ECU's and they have been very happy plus he's cheaper than the other's. If you just do a slipon the ECU reflash should be good enough don't really need a pcv or bazazz to tune the bike.
post #7 of 53 Old 01-19-2015, 10:37 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbyers View Post
Thanks. I've been researching all morning on here and other kawi sites.

Some say the cat is in the boom box. Others say its in the headers right before the boom box that's been removed on the box.
The bike in your pic is considered a Gen 4. The "boom box" is where that catalytic converter is on THIS model. It's been removed from the bike in the pic and replaced with some god-awful exhaust tip. I'm sure that thing is stupid loud and of no performance benefit. Will it hurt the engine? No. But you are sacrificing gains that can be had with a proper tune and exhaust on there.

Previously, the Gen 2 and Gen 3 models have the cat in the head pipes and the box is just a pre-muffler chamber. That's where your confusion comes in. Different models of the same bike, different locations.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #8 of 53 Old 01-19-2015, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks for the input guys. I'll probably buy the bike. Just ordered a class I hitch for my SUV and the light wiring harness to tow it home from four states away.

Just gotta scrounge up the money for a quality slipon now.

DAMM motorcycling is expensive...
post #9 of 53 Old 01-19-2015, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

So the owner finally sent me photos of his bike's underside. Its definitely missing the boom box. The slash cut tip has also been welded on. FML.

It's not a dealbreaker though, because the owner said it was tuned after the tip was put on. Guess I'll be wearing earplugs until I can get the cash to buy a namebrand slipon and have the existing one cutoff.

Would you guys still get it? I'm leaning toward yes. It's only got 3,700 miles and some minor tipover scratches.

post #10 of 53 Old 01-19-2015, 03:48 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbyers View Post
So the owner finally sent me photos of his bike's underside. Its definitely missing the boom box. The slash cut tip has also been welded on. FML.
How much is the bike going for? Seeing that shit-assed weld job would definitely lower the price for me. The fact that he probably welded it on without removing the header would be the biggest concern at this point. Bunch of dumbass people in the world.

How did he get the bike "tuned" for that tip? Does it have a reflash? Power Commander? Dyno printout to show that?

So, yeah, if the price of the bike is right, then go for it. And if the current owner is a member here and sees this post....yes, I did call you out for that horrific crap you think looks good on the bike and the workmanship you think acceptable.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in