carbon wheels? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 06-09-2007, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

carbon wheels?

Hi guys,

been getting loads of info and daft ideas such as big bore kits etc. on this site. Not sure between bst and dymag 3 spokes. The bst's are stiffer and look better but most people seem to go for the dymags. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-09-2007, 01:39 AM

Posting Frequency

is it a track only bike? if so the carbon are good if not do not get them I heard they don't hold up well on city streets
post #3 of 17 Old 06-09-2007, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Mostly on the road. I've heard they're not that great on track due to the many tyre changes required otherwise fine for the road.

I put these massive brembo discs on there and it slowed down the steering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 06-09-2007, 07:27 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to SalKhan Send a message via Yahoo to SalKhan
Carbon Fiber is much like a cinder block in its strength. It's excellent for stress and load bearing, but direct impact (ie: Hammer or pot hole) will shatter it. Not to mention that CF shards are razor sharp. Just watch any modern day F1 car... a slight grazing of a wall or barrier and 8 times out of 10, something important always breaks.

Unless you live in a country with an excellent Department of Transportation, I would personally stick with Forged or, if you can afford it, Billet metals (which is, naturally, stronger).

Also, as long as you have a competent tire changer, or learn to do them yourself on a good quality (I always had good luck with Coates) tire changing machine and do them yourself, you shouldn't have any problems with multiple changes.

Sal Khan

http://www.thelunchjournals.com - Updated 3/8/08!
post #5 of 17 Old 06-09-2007, 10:51 AM
CFH

Posting Frequency

wheels

whats wrong with the ones you have? unless you are trying to gain 10 th`s or something in that category , zx 10 has some of the lightest oem wheels. buying wheels is a waste of money. later down the track maybe . but for show come `on ! but if you really want to get `em i will buy your oem`s ? really anyone want to sell their oems . 06 zx 10
post #6 of 17 Old 06-09-2007, 11:01 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin856 View Post
Hi guys,

been getting loads of info and daft ideas such as big bore kits etc. on this site. Not sure between bst and dymag 3 spokes. The bst's are stiffer and look better but most people seem to go for the dymags. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Cheers.
Do a search. I have BST`s on my street bike. They have been on there fo 2 yrs now. I have hit loads of indiana potholes with them and ZERO problems. Tire changes are also not an issue with them. You can mount them up just like any other rim. This question has been asked many many many times. I just woke up so I am not going to sit and type it all out again, so just click search and type in BST and LordBadly and it will bring up all the info you seek.
post #7 of 17 Old 06-09-2007, 11:41 AM

Posting Frequency

i ahve carbon wheels, forged aluminum, cast aluminum, cast mag and forged mags. i can tell you i have yet to have one problem with any of them. carbin will fair better than forged as the cvarbon has some flexibility the mag might not. any bump that will break carbon would have exploded forged or cars aluminum or magnesuim IMO. i think you should look for and listen to people who have the wheels not poeple who heard about the wheels LOL
post #8 of 17 Old 06-09-2007, 11:44 AM

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenanigans View Post
is it a track only bike? if so the carbon are good if not do not get them I heard they don't hold up well on city streets
from whom??

there has been 1 BST promlem in thousands sold from what i can remember so where did this come from, be real interested to hear this?

BST and Dymag smash these wheels and do massive testing so i am surprised weak arse cast OEM wheels hold up better than carbon LOL
post #9 of 17 Old 06-09-2007, 11:52 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I have many miles on my BST's. Street, Drag, Track. Everybody and there brother has spooned tires onto them. Not even a scratch.
post #10 of 17 Old 06-09-2007, 02:18 PM

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaTooM View Post
I have many miles on my BST's. Street, Drag, Track. Everybody and there brother has spooned tires onto them. Not even a scratch.

you mean peoples $3500 carbon wheels don't just explode and kill people LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in