Building custom 2nd gen exhaust Q... - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 04-10-2008, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Building custom 2nd gen exhaust Q...

Well i don't really like any of the exhausts out there for the 2nd gen so i'm gonna go the custom route and i had a couple questions for some of you knowledgable people. the question i have is whether or not i can attain a deeper sound without affecting performance by closely pairing the firing cylinders into two sets of exhaust ports. i.e. the firing order is 1,2,4,3 but the 1 and 4 cylinders are both at TDC at the same time but only one is firing and that would leave the 2 and 3 cylinders at TDC with only one firing. so would it be possible to emulate a more throaty v-twin sound by re-working the header to join the 1,4/2,3 headpipes and run them seperately all the way out?? if i have not painted a clear picture feel free to ask me WTF i am talking about.
any opinions appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-11-2008, 12:56 AM
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?

Posting Frequency

the question my friend is simple.
Have you ever fabbed a custom exhaust before ?
Even if you do, how could you beat the top sellers R&D.. they probably took years to perfect their exhausts.. and you, what, days/weeks ? Dont reinvent the wheel man.. just go buy a system.

post #3 of 17 Old 04-11-2008, 01:58 AM
WSB Rider

Location: Georgia is home, but the Army has me in San Antonio, TX!!!
Posting Frequency

So basically you want to make a V-4?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 04-11-2008, 09:45 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Neat concept though. Would be great for a streetfighter. Maybe dual exhaust.

post #5 of 17 Old 04-11-2008, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

missinlinc, not really im just trying to get a similar sound by accentuating the percussion in the firing of the cylinders together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky10R View Post
the question my friend is simple.
Have you ever fabbed a custom exhaust before ?
Even if you do, how could you beat the top sellers R&D.. they probably took years to perfect their exhausts.. and you, what, days/weeks ? Dont reinvent the wheel man.. just go buy a system.
the answer is simple my friend YES i have fabbed more things out of aluminum, titanium and stainless for both cars and bikes including exhaust then i can count on my pretty little digits. and reinventing the wheel i am not, if you sir think that the companies producing exhausts pull out the fluid dynamics engineers to figure out the perfect flow for an exhaust given the length of the bike and the valve sizing vs exhaust port shape/size i think you will find this to be quite untrue, take the "akrapovic" twin cam for example. that thing is just designed to minimize backpressure to increase power. now i know your thinking, but what about backpressure. there is no emperical evidence that states you need a certain amount of backpressure given you can add enough air and fuel, modern engines have strong enough valve springs to avoid valve float. if you would like me to go more into depth about exhaust systems i can, but i just wanted to know if anyone had tryed to get a more pronounced exhaust note from a inline 4......wheeeewwww that was a lot of typing
post #6 of 17 Old 04-11-2008, 12:39 PM
BANNED

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sx2jz View Post
missinlinc, not really im just trying to get a similar sound by accentuating the percussion in the firing of the cylinders together.

the answer is simple my friend YES i have fabbed more things out of aluminum, titanium and stainless for both cars and bikes including exhaust then i can count on my pretty little digits. and reinventing the wheel i am not, if you sir think that the companies producing exhausts pull out the fluid dynamics engineers to figure out the perfect flow for an exhaust given the length of the bike and the valve sizing vs exhaust port shape/size i think you will find this to be quite untrue, take the "akrapovic" twin cam for example. that thing is just designed to minimize backpressure to increase power. now i know your thinking, but what about backpressure. there is no emperical evidence that states you need a certain amount of backpressure given you can add enough air and fuel, modern engines have strong enough valve springs to avoid valve float. if you would like me to go more into depth about exhaust systems i can, but i just wanted to know if anyone had tryed to get a more pronounced exhaust note from a inline 4......wheeeewwww that was a lot of typing

I pretty much agree with you.

Most aftermarket pipes like Akro just replicate the stock design with out the limitations the factories have. Especially the 06-07 version. It is exactly the same design, just improved upon.

If I was Akro, I would buy a BEET, and Leo, Arata, ect, test them all on my Dyno, then improve upon the best. No secret to it really.

Good luck with your design.

JJ
post #7 of 17 Old 04-11-2008, 12:52 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Good idea and you seem to have a good grasp of it. i'd worry about performace trying to expel that much exhaust at the same time, but i bet it could be done. as to what harm it might cause thats out of my league. like it was said above that could be awesome on a streetfighter. i'm looking forward to everyones ideas here and keep us posted how it works out.
post #8 of 17 Old 04-11-2008, 02:20 PM

Posting Frequency

i believ what your thinking of with both cylinders being at TDC might be a bit off. Kawi actually did this for a while with the MotoGP bikes where they had 2 cylinders firing at the same time.

your cylinders would be firing 180 degrees off of each other, so you would likely not be emulating an V-Twin sound. (my opinion, not based on anything other that conjecture and the mechanics involved).
post #9 of 17 Old 04-11-2008, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

i was more hoping to pair one firing cylinder with one cylinder in the non firing position and run those together all the way out and the same with the other two so that there would be only one cylinder firing out of one muffler at a time. ill have to play around and see if it changes the tone at all.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-11-2008, 07:18 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

Your proposal will send a pulse into the collector pipe evenly spaced on each side, instead of two-in-a-row to one side followed by two-in-a-row to the other side. When they both join into one, it all evens out.

I doubt if there will be much difference in sound, but there might be a difference in the way it affects the torque curve. Whether it is a good effect or a bad one ... is hard to predict. I suspect the proposed symmetrical arrangement will give a bit better midrange and a bit less top-end power.

For some reason, practically every 4-cyl bike exhaust uses the left cylinders paired and right cylinders paired (asymmetrical) but practically every 4-cyl car exhaust has them paired symmetrically (1-4 join, 2-3 join).

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in