Buckets, shims and a block head - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 04-04-2006, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Buckets, shims and a block head

When I picked up my head the first time to take it to the machine shop, I was a block head and turned the head over and the buckets and shims fell out. I know, I'm a bone head. I have never been inside of a motorcycle engine and thats why I took it my friends shop in the first place. Can someone point me in the right, but quick direction to get this head put back together smoothly?

I live my life a quarter-pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, im free. I need FRIESSSS! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didnt blow a seam on your nugget box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-05-2006, 07:09 AM

Posting Frequency

The shims just sit in a little recess on top of the valve spring retainer, and the bucket slips right over the top of that. There should be a number on the shim (which indicates it's thickness). The number should be facing up when installing the shim.

Unless you get really lucky and happen to have all the same thickness shims in your head, you're going to have fun trying to figure out where each one goes. You'll just have to install each one, check tappet clearance, and go from there.
post #3 of 19 Old 04-05-2006, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Damn. Thats what I figured. 16 buckets and shims. Thats going to take forever.

I live my life a quarter-pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, im free. I need FRIESSSS! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didnt blow a seam on your nugget box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 04-05-2006, 10:44 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Unfortunately, no quick way at this point.
post #5 of 19 Old 04-05-2006, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Alright then. I'm glad I'm not the one putting it back together. I'll probably owe a little more than quoted, but I have to pay somewhere for my mistakes.

post #6 of 19 Old 04-05-2006, 05:42 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

It does not take that long to do put all the higher #'s on the exhaust and the lower #'s on the intake from there its measuring and math
about 45 to 1 hour top's !!

http://aceperformance.com/
41 Land Speed record's 650 750 1000 1350 1650 2000 3000 3001+cc classes 236.96 MPH
Winner & fastest N.A. bikes of Texas Mile shootout N.A. and Nitrous class with NO NOS on bike.
223.33 MPH all motor Busa.
http://aceperformance.com/
203 + MPH 2016 ZX10R
post #7 of 19 Old 04-05-2006, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

just called him and let him know. Thanks ice man.

post #8 of 19 Old 04-05-2006, 07:01 PM
MIA Ex-Mod

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE ICE MAN
It does not take that long to do put all the higher #'s on the exhaust and the lower #'s on the intake from there its measuring and math
about 45 to 1 hour top's !!

Higher the number the thicker the shim meaning less clearance put the smaller numbers on the exhaust and the bigger on the intake. The intake is supposed to be a little tighter than the exhaust. After install the cams torque down the caps check and write down your measurements and start calculating for correct clearance, uninstall swap and reinstall cams, check again and you may have to remove a third time to get them just right.

Tread

2004 PBO zx10-r pazzo, seat cowl, yoshi Ti TRS bolt on, PC3, Speedo-Healer, Hyperpro, Braided lines, 16-40, Sato sets, ZG dark screen, and more.
post #9 of 19 Old 04-05-2006, 07:16 PM

Posting Frequency

Don't use full torque each time! there going to be in and out several times. And it's going to take longer than a couple hrs. Make sure who does it takes there time >now< no time to be in a hurry!
post #10 of 19 Old 04-05-2006, 07:20 PM
MIA Ex-Mod

Posting Frequency

Yeah all you really need to do is just past snug tightness.

Tread

2004 PBO zx10-r pazzo, seat cowl, yoshi Ti TRS bolt on, PC3, Speedo-Healer, Hyperpro, Braided lines, 16-40, Sato sets, ZG dark screen, and more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in