Brembo Z04 Pads - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By LDH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-06-2018, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
All show and all go 10r

Posting Frequency

Brembo Z04 Pads

First off my setup is a 2008 ZX10R with BSTS running Supercorsas SC2s, front brakes are spiegler ss brake lines Brembo 19x20 Billet Radial Master Cylinder, Brembo HP GP4-RX Calipers, Brembo Z04 Pads, Brembo T-Drive Rotors 310MM. The wheels, tires, rotors and pads were all done at the same time.

First off they are stupid expensive, $137CAD per caliper(would probably be something like 100 USD). I can easily say they are without a doubt the best pads I've used by a country mile. I did some fast street riding which is obivously nothing compared to road racing in terms of braking, but gives a great window of what is to come.

The most important thing is they are perfectly linear. The initial bite is always smooth and manageable even as heat is developed. There is more modulation than the stock pads that come with the GP4RX calipers and or any other pad I've ever used. I use Galfer 1054 semi metallic pads in my Race motard which work fantastic on that specific bike which I can't say is comparable as it weighs 173LBs full of fuel. Being fresh pads and rotors, the rotors still show factory cross hatching which is pretty good in my book. The rotors are still perfectly flat, no rise or edge.

The other determining factor I unfortunately can't answer yet is pad wear. I will try and update this later, if they last a reasonable amount of time and continue to barely wear the rotors, the price is somewhat justifiable in my books.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-07-2018, 09:59 AM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Been there done that. Carbone Lorraine C60's are like a 1/2 the price and negligible difference in performance for all, but top tier pro racers. Many of them prefer the CL's over the Z04 as well.

ROGUE RACING Brake Pads Review Page
michael4012 likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-07-2018, 01:05 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Carbone Lorraine C60's for me too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-07-2018, 05:51 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
Been there done that. Carbone Lorraine C60's are like a 1/2 the price and negligible difference in performance for all, but top tier pro racers. Many of them prefer the CL's over the Z04 as well.

Boom! That article is the bible of brake pads! Love that stuff. It reads just I wrote it with the same opinion. My problem is I've never tried the CL pads after getting hooked on the Vesrah ones. I like the SRJL-17 ones myself. That initial bite gets me every time. I had good success with the DP pads in the past, but haven't used them on anything recent. When are you gonna review and add those ones to your critique???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #5 of 8 Old 08-07-2018, 06:33 PM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Boom! That article is the bible of brake pads! Love that stuff. It reads just I wrote it with the same opinion. My problem is I've never tried the CL pads after getting hooked on the Vesrah ones. I like the SRJL-17 ones myself. That initial bite gets me every time. I had good success with the DP pads in the past, but haven't used them on anything recent. When are you gonna review and add those ones to your critique???

Thank you sir I appreciate that. The real truth is my reviews are nothing special other than they are truthful meaning I cannot be bought off to say good things about inferior products which kinda explains my short life as a moto-journalist. Anybody that tests the same products I have tested over the years in the same way will come to the exact same conclusions if they don't allow extraneous crap or blatant bias into their results.

I actually used to prefer DP pads myself and I mention them specifically in that article. I haven't used them for years as they were well behind the curve when I originally wrote that article and I remember more than once having to file the edges of the backing plate to get them to fit the caliper they were designed for, but all in all back in the day they were my favorite well above the EBC crap everybody raved about. It is very unlikely I will revisit any of my brake pad testing any time soon as it is mostly irrelevant nowadays and I don't get to ride 1000+ track sessions per season like I used to. That being said if anyone knows someone from DP and they want to send me a set of pads to test I will give them every opportunity to get an equal footing in the game. I'll bead blast my rotors and start fresh with a new set of their latest & greatest for a comparison. Just need pads for a pinless design Brembo caliper like the Ducati 1098 M4 style calipers and I will do all the rest.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-07-2018, 07:55 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Thank you sir I appreciate that. The real truth is my reviews are nothing special other than they are truthful meaning I cannot be bought off to say good things about inferior products which kinda explains my short life as a moto-journalist. Anybody that tests the same products I have tested over the years in the same way will come to the exact same conclusions if they don't allow extraneous crap or blatant bias into their results.

I actually used to prefer DP pads myself and I mention them specifically in that article. I haven't used them for years as they were well behind the curve when I originally wrote that article and I remember more than once having to file the edges of the backing plate to get them to fit the caliper they were designed for, but all in all back in the day they were my favorite well above the EBC crap everybody raved about. It is very unlikely I will revisit any of my brake pad testing any time soon as it is mostly irrelevant nowadays and I don't get to ride 1000+ track sessions per season like I used to. That being said if anyone knows someone from DP and they want to send me a set of pads to test I will give them every opportunity to get an equal footing in the game. I'll bead blast my rotors and start fresh with a new set of their latest & greatest for a comparison. Just need pads for a pinless design Brembo caliper like the Ducati 1098 M4 style calipers and I will do all the rest.

Yeah, I agree that the DPs have probably been outpaced these days, but I'm curious as to how they compare simply for completeness. I like the reviews like this from real users and unfortunately I got hooked on the Vesrah and just haven't felt the need to change. The CL pads intrigue me though. The Vesrah are too good to switch just for the sake of switching. Someday though!

I don't know anyone at DP and I have no clout with anyone. BUT, I will see if I can locate some of them that fit your calipers and send you some for review. For completeness of course!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #7 of 8 Old 08-08-2018, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
All show and all go 10r

Posting Frequency

Quote:

what about wear? Personally I want the pads to take all the abuse and leave the rotors alone. I am aware there is obviously a trade for pad longevity but I'm trying to find a balance. So far after 400kms of road riding there is no grooving or noticeable wear on the rotor other than some slight darkening of the rotor. I am keeping an eye on the pads for wear but not crazy enough to measure them, just eye ball. Other than if the pads don't last I really fail to see why these pads are marketed as race use only unless they don't last. If the CL pads were 90% of the braking with the same wear at 1/2 the price that would be amazing as I am using very little lever travel.

post #8 of 8 Old 08-09-2018, 03:28 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Im no LDH, but Ive worn out two sets of the DP pads. I found the performance to be very good. At least a step , or two above EBC and Galfer. Not as nice as the Vesrah. The Vesrah was less sensitive to heat.

The reason I went away from them, to the Vesrah, was noise. The noise was there, constantly, even when you were not using the brakes. The noise was not that grinding, grit sound of ebc, .....it sounded more electronic. You guys old enough to remember twisting radio dials....when you were not on the correct station, you could hear all kinds of noise...thats what they sounded like at speeds low enough to hear brake noise. Maybe something like Yoko Ono singing for younger people.....like this....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in