Gen 2: 2006-2007 Breaking 200mph - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 05-24-2013, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Breaking 200mph

I've seen threads here and there about squeezing XXX horsepower out of gen 4s, but have not seen any about pure speed on a gen 2.

What do you think it would take to hit 200mph on a gen2?

Based on what I've read I'd guess:
Reflash
full exhaust
PC3 or 5
Remove servo?
higher gearing?
engine work? (hope not)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-24-2013, 11:16 AM
Slow Poke

Posting Frequency

It would take a lot to get a 2nd gen to 200mph on the motor only. You can do it with nitrous and taller gearing but it all comes down to power against wind resistance. and the motor doesn't make enough power to pull passed the wind to 200mph. If your a real lightweight you may have a fighting chance but more than likely you don't have enough power on the motor to pull you to 200+
post #3 of 18 Old 05-24-2013, 11:18 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmagma10 View Post
It would take a lot to get a 2nd gen to 200mph on the motor only. You can do it with nitrous and taller gearing but it all comes down to power against wind resistance. and the motor doesn't make enough power to pull passed the wind to 200mph. If your a real lightweight you may have a fighting chance but more than likely you don't have enough power on the motor to pull you to 200+
well you are real lightweight and I will have enough power so your little ass will do over 200mph on my gen 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 05-24-2013, 11:39 AM
Slow Poke

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerzx10r View Post
well you are real lightweight and I will have enough power so your little ass will do over 200mph on my gen 2
Forced induction FTW!!!
post #5 of 18 Old 05-24-2013, 01:20 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Forced induction FTW!!!
:iamwithst
post #6 of 18 Old 05-24-2013, 01:39 PM
BigCat for Prez!

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Forced induction FTW!!!
All motor!

Disclaimer: that is assuming u have time to wait on a fucking crank job

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedinseattle View Post
in reference to the man card issue, let me clarify it for everyone, " If a man builds a 1000 bridges and sucks one cock, that doesnt make him a bridge builder, it makes him a cock sucker..."
My bike is the fattest and slowest of all the G2s
post #7 of 18 Old 05-24-2013, 03:35 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

gearingcommander says its theoretically possible with just a +1/-3 but i doubt you have a straight long enough to pull it off. the amount of horsepower you need at high speeds get's astronomically difficult to overcome
post #8 of 18 Old 05-24-2013, 04:07 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

How much room do you have? :)

Seriously though, it's one of the few things the Gen2 does really well. Weight means very little if you have several miles to get up to speed. DRAG means everything. On a tall tire the stock gearing will get you to 185ish, so you only need about 9% more gearing to get there. Power wise, I've been on a mostly stock second gen that will pull the limiter with enough room on pavement (miles. plural.) If you ditched the mirrors, sealed up all the cracks you could, got the bike looooow and got nice and small in the saddle, you could break 200 without ever having to take the valve cover off the bike. If 220ish hp would get my fat ass, bus-like Connie up over 200mph with me sitting upright on it, you could get a 2nd gen to do it will less than 200 fo sho. :) Around 180-190hp would be my guess, starting with a baseline of 160hp.

If you're trying to do it in a standing mile or 1.5 mile, or on the salt, you'll need some more umph. :)

PS one of the major magazines did an article on this with a Haybus, GSXR 1K, and a 2nd gen ZX10r in an actual wind tunnel. Very interesting read.... especially concerning COD vs frontal area and the (huge) affect the rider has on effective COD. Wish I could find it again.... I think it was in Sport Rider or Cycle World.

Attack life... it's going to kill you anyway.

Last edited by SpazOnaZX; 05-24-2013 at 04:10 PM.
post #9 of 18 Old 05-24-2013, 06:55 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazOnaZX View Post

S On a tall tire the stock gearing will get you to 185ish, so you only need about 9% more gearing to get there. Power wise, I've been on a mostly stock second gen that will pull the limiter with enough room on pavement (miles. plural.)
also remember, the actual speed is far less than what your speedo is telling you. you're not doing 185 indicated, you need a gps speedo. if you want to break a true 200mph, good luck, you need a long straight and mostly what ^ said about taping up, lowering the bike
post #10 of 18 Old 05-24-2013, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazOnaZX View Post
How much room do you have? :)

Seriously though, it's one of the few things the Gen2 does really well. Weight means very little if you have several miles to get up to speed. DRAG means everything. On a tall tire the stock gearing will get you to 185ish, so you only need about 9% more gearing to get there. Power wise, I've been on a mostly stock second gen that will pull the limiter with enough room on pavement (miles. plural.) If you ditched the mirrors, sealed up all the cracks you could, got the bike looooow and got nice and small in the saddle, you could break 200 without ever having to take the valve cover off the bike. If 220ish hp would get my fat ass, bus-like Connie up over 200mph with me sitting upright on it, you could get a 2nd gen to do it will less than 200 fo sho. :) Around 180-190hp would be my guess, starting with a baseline of 160hp.

If you're trying to do it in a standing mile or 1.5 mile, or on the salt, you'll need some more umph. :)

PS one of the major magazines did an article on this with a Haybus, GSXR 1K, and a 2nd gen ZX10r in an actual wind tunnel. Very interesting read.... especially concerning COD vs frontal area and the (huge) affect the rider has on effective COD. Wish I could find it again.... I think it was in Sport Rider or Cycle World.
I have a mile or 2 of long straights out in the country near me...but if I needed to I bet I could find longer straights than that.

I assume I still need several speed mods, but it sounds like you're saying it can all be done on a stock motor as long as I get better aerodynamics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in