Brakes - on the right track? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 Old 04-18-2008, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Brakes - on the right track?

Hi everyone. I've searched at length on this subject and want to make sure I've got the right ideas about upgrading my 06's brakes. I doubt there's a single answer but feedback would be appreciated.

Like many others, my lever ran out of room by the time it started really started to scrub speed. I swapped out to Galfer lines, and their 1375 pads. It's a bit better now, I don't run out of room anymore but the first half of the lever's stroke is wasted travel before it actually grabs. BTW - I bled the hell out of them and also tried the piston-pushing technique to get where I am. It's bearable, but not satisfactory yet.

I've been swayed toward the idea of a new master cylinder as my next step.

--Looking at Brembo's, I found a reasonable price on the M/C's but it's an extra ~100 bucks or so to rig up the brake light switch. The cost of the brake switch makes me wonder if I shouldn't just try for the RCS model, even though it's bleeding edge and probably not available yet. It's def overkill for my slow ass

I'm worried about my Galfer lines not fitting, and know that I'd have to at least replace the hose between the reservoir and the M/C. Buying new lines again would suck and would ruin the deal.

--I thought I heard of some people crossgrading to a different OEM master cylinder, and swear I saw pics on this board...but can't find details on that anymore. Am I just thinking about the ZX6/ZX14 calipers?

I guess my main questions are, is the M/C the wrong way to go? If I go Brembo, will my lines still fit with their custom Banjo bolt? Isn't there an OEM option that has better performance?

Many thanks,
Atonal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 04-18-2008, 05:07 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to Grease
I would do the calipers first, for money's sake. You already have a radial master cylinder on your '06, just get the Nissin calipers from any model ZX14 or an '07 ZX6. Direct bolt on. Should make a big difference. I would also look at the Vesrah RJL pads. I put on the vesrah, keeping stock calipers and didn't experience any fade after doing a full day at Barber Motorsports Park where I had fade 2 weeks earlier.

Good Luck.

Bikes: '88 EX250 (sold), '86 Nighthawk S (sold), '03 ZX7R (R.I.P.s), '07 ZX10R (sold)

I don't like repeat offenders; I like dead offenders.
My idea of 'gun control' is putting as many bullets as I can into the same hole.

- Ted Nugent
Iím all for gun control, I just define it a little differently. If you can put 2 rounds into the same hole from 25 meters, thatís gun control!
- Jesse Ventura
God gave man a brain and a penis, but only enough blood to run one at a time. - Stephen E. Ambrose
post #3 of 49 Old 04-22-2008, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Thanks Grease, much appreciated. I've gotten some reassurance that my lines etc will fit, so I'll probably pursue a new Master.

Not sure what you mean "for money's sake" since it seems like the calipers will run me about the same as a nice M/C. Maybe you just meant that I'd eventually replace calipers anyways?

I figure if this doesn't help control and lever pull, I'll try and rebuild the existing calipers. If/When that doesn't work, off go the calipers and my "new" bike will have completely new brakes.

What an achilles heel to an otherwise amazing bike!

Thanks,
Atonal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 Old 04-22-2008, 12:07 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

indeed the brakes are a weak aspect of the 10's and it still baffles us as to why KMC didn't fit the Nissin cals to the 10's when they are in the same building during assem.

BD

Last edited by Big Daddy; 04-22-2008 at 12:19 PM.
post #5 of 49 Old 04-22-2008, 12:18 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to jdgun_13
You know why BD, the 10r was just waiting to be replaced and also it may have something to with an agreement with tokico to use their brakes on specific models.
Thus the new 08 calipers are tokico as well.

but the 6R are nissin.
same thing with the forks showa vs Kayaba...just not burning their bridges it seems.

The nissin caliper are defineately a huge improvement and the brembo 19x18 just plains rocks use it on both my kawi's
post #6 of 49 Old 04-22-2008, 12:20 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgun_13 View Post
You know why BD, the 10r was just waiting to be replaced and also it may have something to with an agreement with tokico to use their brakes on specific models.

but the 6R are nissin.
same thing with the forks showa vs Kayaba...just not burning their bridges it seems.
could very well be true.

BD

post #7 of 49 Old 04-22-2008, 12:43 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I would go direct for the MC. A good top quality MC makes a world of difference. The calipers are also a great mod and you might be able to keep the Galfer Lines you already have. With a new MC though it might be best to get a custom set made for your application. That way you know its not going to bind . Also as far as the brake light switch use a banjo brake switch. It costs a mere $25.00.
post #8 of 49 Old 04-22-2008, 12:45 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgun_13 View Post

but the 6R are nissin.

The nissin caliper are defineately a huge improvement and the brembo 19x18 just plains rocks use it on both my kawi's
Your are dead on. Kawi doesn't want to burn any bridges and have specific agreements with both Nissin and Tokico.
post #9 of 49 Old 04-22-2008, 12:56 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on new calipers. So you say any ZX-14 calipers will bolt right on to a 06-07 ZX-10? Or is there a specific year? I was thinking about getting a set of Brembo's but man, those things are expensive.

Oh, I wanted to add that I am changing out my calipers because now that I am putting in faster lap times I really need the better brakes. For road use I wouldn't bother. I believe, on the stock 06-07 10R brake calipers, that the porting for fluid flow is just very very poor. And the only way to truly fix it is to change out the calipers all together.

If you gotta ask you can't afford it.

Last edited by booken; 04-22-2008 at 01:02 PM.
post #10 of 49 Old 04-22-2008, 01:22 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

have you try bleeding the brakes, then pushing the pistons in the calipers back all the way... mount the calipers and rebleed, push piston back and rebleed like 3 or 4 times?

I did that and got bubbles for some reason.. and now none of the stuff you're talking about..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in